Author Topic: Foundation Franklin  (Read 10368 times)

Franklin

• There's nothing like a Double Rum!!!
Re: Foundation Franklin
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 16:20:23 »
Hello Mike, No problem at all Mike, It's great to see interest in the old Tug, Should be interesting see what scale she is. I will gladly pass along anything needed. I am in "Steam Engine mode" at the moment, but plan to build another Tug soon. Have been looking at the rest of the Foundation fleet. Looking forward to having a new member.

Talk to you soon  :)

Lee

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 17:29:53 »
Hi Lee!
That's great!
He said he has the hull built, plank on frame, and the decks and such, and she's about 36" long.
He says he's building from pictures, and a drawing of sorts, but once he gets online, you two can chat!
As for the rest of the 'Foundation fleet', one of them is still operating on this coast, spuraticlly,as the Haida Chieftan,(I'm sure you read my posts), but not sure of her previous name in the Foundation years, only that she was part of the fleet prior to it's disbanding.
Should you be interested, there's LOTS of pictures and videos about her.
See: YouTube 'Haida Cheiftan' (4 or 5 videos).

Cheers
MIKE

Franklin

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 16:09:51 »
Hello Mike, How is everything out in B.C? I checked out Utube, Really good stuff on the 'Haida Cheiftan'!!. She was formally Foundation Lillian and prior to that a U.S. Navy Tug. I believe she is the last of the Fleet. I have a VHS Video of Foundation Frances who Served Foundation Maritime under charter, 1948-1951. She was also a U.S Navy Tug. The video depicts the Tug leaving Halifax to Mid Ocean and details the search and rescue of a disabled freighter. The video is available from the Canadian Film Board and can be purchased from their web site. It is titled "Atlantic Rescue". I think is about $25.00 and well worth the cash.

Have you heard anymore from the RCN Chap building the Franklin?

Lee
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 16:22:35 by Franklin »

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 18:54:07 »
Hi Lee:
The chap came to our show here at the Marina, at which time I gave him lots of info about the forum, but I think he's going to go buy a computer and learn how to use it, before we hear back from him.
I hear his model of the Franklin is quite something though!

Mike
MIKE

Franklin

Foundation Franklin - Refit
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 16:05:17 »
 Hello Everyone!!

Managed to add a few more fittings as well as repainting the ship to give her more clean look and am in the process of doing that. It seems to be more work to clean up and repaint a model than i anticipated. Finally installed the rails on the wheel house along with the searchlight. Have to machine a clear lens to finish it off. Also installed the brass anchor. Still working on the rigging and she will hopefully be in the water soon.

Happy Tugging!!!

Lee
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 16:17:59 by Franklin »

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 19:19:38 »
She's a work of art, Lee!! :) :) :)
MIKE

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008, 01:35:32 »
Great wood work there...Lovely model..

barry
Barry

islander

• Love the classics!!!!
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 16:55:29 »
What a fantastic job you did here Franklin.

You have finished, and moved onto another project? 

Islander