Author Topic: PAINTING STYRENE  (Read 5754 times)

CGAux26

PAINTING STYRENE
« on: November 23, 2008, 19:43:18 »
I am starting on my first tug made of styrene.  A few questions:
-Is it necessary to sand styrene before painting?
-If not necessary to sand, should it be wiped down with something (mineral spirits, denatured alcohol, etc.)?
-What types of paint can be used (acrylic, latex, etc.)?  If you site English brands, please state what they are.  Sorry, but "Halfords" doesn't tell me much.

The hull is fiberglass, so with what should I paint it?

Thanks,
Dave
Dave

HS93

Re: PAINTING STYRENE
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 23:53:10 »
I tend to flaten styrene befor I assemble to take the sheen off i find I can mark it better but it glues better, just a rub with some 1,000 wet then wipe it off while it is in still the sheet, if it is a kit and its just printed do it after you cut but DONT round the edges over, I find the glue runs and sticks better but othere people may do it another way . #

Then to answer the question, it just need a light rub and a wash befor painting, dont use to hot a water. the hull can be done with standard spray primer and the styrine can followed by standard car spray paint from car spare shops. acrylic or I use celulose as it is better for my chest

Peter
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 23:58:48 by HS93 »

CGAux26

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 19:50:50 »
Catch 22 situation:
On my Loyal tender, the deck is to be green while the insides of the bulwarks are to be grey.  I have not glued the deck into the boat yet.  When I do, there will be a need to fill and sand around the deck joint.  So should I spray paint the deck before gluing it in, and paint the bulwarks first?  If I do, how do I touch up the green deck color without spraying the bulwarks?  Lotsa blue masking tape, right?

I am not an air brush type; Krylon spray cans only.
Dave

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 01:17:38 »
Personally, I would fit and seal the deck before spraying it, without taping off the bulwarks. When all is dry, hand paint the bulwarks with a good quality brush. It works for me and gives a perfectly good finish.

Barry
Barry

FLJ

• Site Supporter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 12:45:46 »
It's the same old story - ask ten modellers a question like this and you'll get ten different answers!
I would also fit and seal the deck before applying any paint, but I'd spray the deck and the bulwarks with grey acrylic primer first (Krylon is fine, I gather). When dry, I mask off the bulwarks (O, what fun! Deepest joy...........) and spray the deck with Matt Green enamel; Humbrol #76 is my favourite for decks. When given a final coat of clear satin varnish the bulwarks look good just in the grey primer colour.
Worked fine on my scratch-built Sentinel - check with Tango Mark, who's seen it close up.
Footski must have a steadier hand than mine - I can't get a decent finish on a wide area with a brush, but maybe I'm too fussy.
FLJ

Amdaylight

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 15:45:58 »
I have found it best to scrub the plastic down with Comet cleanser, first it gets the oil on the plastic off, and second it gives a very fine tooth to the plastic which allows the paint to adhere better. Once the plastic is clean only handle the plastic with latex gloves on this way there is no oil from your hand transferred to the plastic. Be careful with what you wipe plastic down with, some things will cause the plastic to craze or deteriorate.

Andre
over yonder in Portland Oregon
over yonder in Portland Oregon

feinwerkbau

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 06:41:47 »
If I do, how do I touch up the green deck color without spraying the bulwarks?  Lotsa blue masking tape, right?

Instead of masking tape try Humbrol Liquid Mask, just paint it on (brush) any areas you don't want to paint then paint your topcoat as normal. Once your paint has dried then the Liquid Mask just peels off. Brilliant stuff for masking off all those nooks'n'crannies. You can also use some types of low tack PVA glue but you will need to test first to see if if will pull off the paint underneath.
HTH.
Roger.
"The Best Thing's In Life Are Self-Made"

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 09:06:04 »
Footski must have a steadier hand than mine - I can't get a decent finish on a wide area with a brush, but maybe I'm too fussy.
FLJ
Well I never.....I am all upset now. Fancy insinuating that my work is sloppy, that I am not fussy enough to get a good finish tween bullwarks and deck........And I thought he was my friend!! >:D >:D

Only joking Dave!! ;D

Barry