Author Topic: Pacific Blade/Buccaneer/Banner etc.  (Read 4413 times)

garabaldy

Pacific Blade/Buccaneer/Banner etc.
« on: December 17, 2008, 02:24:50 »
Hi all.

I thought i'd start a build log on here.  Recieved the plans from traplet the other day and im hoping to get started this weekend.  The plans are at a scale of 1/66 but i intend on scaling up today.  Cant make my mind up between 1/50 or 1/36.  With scale 1/36 i get a nice big model about 1700 long but im worred about transporting issues but i do i like bigger models.  Even at scale 1/50 it comes out around 1200 but my hands dont do so well on the fiddly details!

I plan to use a digitiser to scale up the hull lines.  The digitiser uses autocad so i can choose whatever scale i want really.  I will just use a normal photocopier to do the rest of the scaling.  Hopefully this will work.  I just cant be bothered going to the local photocopying shops and have some turkey mess my drawings up...

I am going to install as much working features as i can into the hull.  2 bow thrusters, 1 stern thruster, water cannons, tank steering, maybe a working winch, lights and possibly more if i can think of anything.  I have about 100 or so decent photographs gathered up on my pc to help with the detail.  I got some cracking photographs from sea mariner (posts on mayhem) which show lots of deck detail so big thianks to him!  The rest have just been found from trawling the internet.  Theres a few good pictures of models on the OSV society website too. 

I will post some pictures of the progress as soon as there is any!

Thanks,

G

pobolycwm

Re: Pacific Blade/Buccaneer/Banner etc.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 02:53:18 »
thats a nice looking dinghy, was looking at that for my mate, what are the recommended build materials
good luck and have fun
The forums gary lineker (i`ve never had a yellow card)

big fish little fish cardboard box

garabaldy

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 07:17:38 »
Ha!  I scaled some of the plans up to 1/36 earlier and they are huge!  It just about it s a dingy...

Materials i will be doing the plank on frame method.  Im going to buy a sheet of 9mm ply from the local builder merchants to make frames from.  I mite try using lime planks but since the hulls is very boxy i dont think i will need many.  I would imagine alot of the hull will be covered using 2mm thick birch ply.  This will speed things up a little aswell. 

G

pobolycwm

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 09:43:30 »
cool, cant wait till you get some pics up
The forums gary lineker (i`ve never had a yellow card)

big fish little fish cardboard box

Jack Holland

• Tugs in the Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 11:34:06 »
Pacific Blade 9169366 during a visit in Den Helder The Netherlands.

Jack Mulder

manxman

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 23:07:58 »
Hi G,

Somehow Iv'e missed this thread.
I also used the same plans (mine were free with the magazine) and scaled them up to 1:48. She turned out at 4ft long and is a 2 man lift into the water. With regards to the thrusters I only fitted 1+dummy into the bow and 1 stern, I now regret that choice and wish I put 2 in the bow. My intension was to make her move sideways (handy when docking) but she comes in at an angle, there is so much bulk to shift at the bow.

Good look to your build and look forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers - Ken
No matter which way you throw me - I'll always stand.

garabaldy

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 14:57:45 »
Hi all.

Just though id throw in a few words regarding the build.  Well summer has just about arrived in scotland so i have been spending much less time on the model.  This coupled with me attending night classes progress has been slow.  I am as far as fitting the kort knozzles.  I will try and get some pictures in here soon. 

I think i am going to use water pumps for the thrusters now.  It seems the easiest and most practicle option for myself.  I will also just have a dummy thruster in the bow but if this isnt enough it shouldnt be too difficult to install a 2nd thruster as it should hopefully just be a case of bonding in some pipe fittings and plumbing it all up into additional pumps.  I plan on using something like this http://stores.channeladvisor.com/12vmarine/items/item.aspx?itemid=367406  This will be completely new to me so i can imagine the shed will be blessed with some less than civilised language.

The build is all a little up in the air at the moment as the amount of free time i have at the moment has dropped by about %80. It is frustrating but there is not much i can do about it.

Thats a cracking photo of her - blue skys and blue sea.  I will add the picture to my ever growing archive of pacific B ships.

Thanks,

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 23:27:14 »
Erm....Now excuse me for being awkward.....but a build thread has to include PHOTOGRAPHS of the model......Please can we see some..... when you get time of course!! >:D >:D >:D >:D
Barry