Author Topic: Tugs in BC Canada  (Read 444148 times)

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
Re: Tugs in BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 22:12:12 »
Nice photos
Now I know of another wharf I've not dragged my other half to in order to take photos! Any other interesting tugs there?

Brian

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 08:52:50 »
Have'nt been down in Gibsons in a while but you can see in the second photo the old Reliant.
http://www.harlowmarine.com/app/newsletter/view_article/9,2.html

canute

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 18:52:29 »
Mike re: Gibsons. If you look at the second photo I posted, up in the left hand corner you will see another tug that was a liveaboard I think. Nice old tug but in pretty bad shape. My photos were taken several years ago and I remember this old tug was repatched, painted and up for sale. I did take a lot of other photos but I think they were taken with something called 'film' what ever that was. If I come accross those photos I'll scan them and post.
Kim

PS: The other Mike, where were the photos of your 'Victory' posted? For some reason I can't find them.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 23:22:53 »
MIKE

canute

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 22:57:44 »
Ganges harbour on Saltspring Island, the 'Island Master'
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 23:00:29 by canute »

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 19:46:54 »
A couple of shots of two 'larger' tugs, working the BC coast.
The 41m. 5750bhp 90 ton BP tug Seaspan Commodore

The 32m 2640bhp RAL tug Seaspan Monarch

Plus one of my many favorites...and my next model build: The Seaspan Tug 'Pacific Force'
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 19:58:31 by tugs53 »
MIKE

ray28507

• Admiral Poster
  • SHUSWAP :2017
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 22:27:00 »
hi tugs  would the pacific force hull (as a model)be the same as 'puffins' apache's hull ??   
  regards ray
B.C tugs >>  ken mackenzie~07   nellie irene~07    freewinds ~04       sidewinder'in b.c~11'   iron horse~12  malley b~16  western mariner ~14  shuswap ~17
  u.s.a tugs> >  nanuq~11

CaptainSeaspan

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 22:45:26 »
hi tugs  would the pacific force hull (as a model)be the same as 'puffins' apache's hull ??  
  regards ray
No different in a lot of ways.............................The 32m 2640bhp RAL tug Seaspan Monarch Designed by Cleaver and Walkishaw not RAL...........................Paul

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 12:54:03 »
Hi Ray:
The Pac Force, and her two 'near sisters' Westminster Hyack and Chinook were designed by a fellow named Lamont, who's now deceased. I lucked into a GA plan for the 'Force', from a fellow who used to work for Pacific Towing in Pt.Alberni.

His designs were apparently picked up by AG McIlwain, and evolved into later series(s) of tugs that included the Westminster Apache, Seaspan Scout, Tiger Wolf, Tiger Shark, Rivtow Dawn & Star, Rivtow Norman, and so on.
The w/house design is quite similar on all the above mentioned tugs, but the 'Lamont' tugs are considerably shallower than the McIllwain hulls.

Hi Paul:
As much as I like to steer-clear of correcting info on the forum; the 'Monarch' (ex: Jervis Crown, John Manley Shipyard 1977), is a Robert Allen design, as I built my model of her, which is now in the offices at Seaspan, from plans obtained from them,(SIL).
She was drawn following the changes to Can. Transport regs regarding 'above-deck' crew accomodations, and perhaps they thought that tug companies here in BC would 'jump' on the design, (and they did, but a smaller RAL design...the 'Vito' built tugs, such as the Protector, Guardian, Island Crown, Alison Nicole #1, Cindy Mozel, etc,..........) but only the 'Monarch', the 'Atlantic Elm', one in Spain, and a derivative 'Western Towboat's' 'Alaska Mariner', were built in the bigger class.
You 'could' be thinking of the 'Island Tugger', 'Arctic Hooper & Taglu', or the 'Capt Bob', when it comes to Cleaver & Walkinshaw N/A.

...Cheers..
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 15:31:40 by tugs53 »
MIKE

Quadcap

• Hours of boredom moments of sheer terror
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 17:44:17 »
Jervis Crown

Quadcap

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 17:51:07 »
Capt. Bob

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2009, 17:59:46 »
Nice shots Quadcap....and in their 'old' colours too.
You take these from the w/house of the PR/Queen?
...or was it the Bowen Queen?
I'm getting senile..and can't remember.

Here's the Seaspan Valiant...cruising the suburbs.

...and a picture just for 'Puffin's wife Sue ;)
*Notice the new exhaust pipes
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 21:50:28 by tugs53 »
MIKE

ray28507

• Admiral Poster
  • SHUSWAP :2017
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2009, 23:40:17 »
hi quadcap    the photo of the 'bob' looks better in these colours  :) (than it doe's now! ) 

regards ray
B.C tugs >>  ken mackenzie~07   nellie irene~07    freewinds ~04       sidewinder'in b.c~11'   iron horse~12  malley b~16  western mariner ~14  shuswap ~17
  u.s.a tugs> >  nanuq~11

Quadcap

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 10:21:04 »
Hi Mike,
I should give credit where credit is due. The pictures posted were taken by Capt. John Arnold, master on the Powell River Queen. He has given me permission to post these pictures. He has allowed me to scan and file over 150 tug pictures that he shot between 1980 and now. He always keeps his camera on the bridge of the ferry and over the years has shot almost every vessel that has transited Discovery Passage.
The pics of the Jervis Crown and the Capt Bob would have been taken either from the bridge of the Quadra Queen II or the Tachek. The Quadra Queen II is now on the Alert Bay, Sointula, Port McNeill run and the Tachek I believe is at Hornby Island. The Powell River Queen is now on the Quadra/Campbell River run.
Cheers Jim

Quadcap

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 11:35:07 »
Another of the Haida Chieftain ex Foundation Lillian
Photo by Capt. John Arnold.