Author Topic: paints  (Read 2933 times)

first tug

• My Tito Neri
paints
« on: December 30, 2008, 15:43:12 »
What is the best type of paint to us i think i would like to us shaker cans for spray. do most buy from the hobby shops  our do they go to there hardware stores
Cheers Jim  :D

Gramps

Re: paints
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 16:05:25 »
I use all types depending on what I'm painting. My spray cans come from Halfords or anywhere that sells auto acrylics

tango

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 16:14:49 »
Hi and welcome to our forum....... You can use auto spray cans with no problems as long as you stick with one type of paint. Auto acrylics work very well on most modelling mediums and I have used them for a while now with no problems, (if in doubt spray a scrap piece of material first)
You can mix types of paint with no problems IF you know what you are doing (there are many, many do's and don'ts and it can be confusing!!!) but I wouldn't recommend it...... Stick to one type and you won't go far wrong.
Most important, take your time and don't rush it.

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE JUST FOUND A 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.

first tug

• My Tito Neri
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 16:17:03 »
Thanks

manxman

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 03:38:08 »
Have to agree with Tango - Always test paints on a sample of whats already painted.

Ken
No matter which way you throw me - I'll always stand.

first tug

• My Tito Neri
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 07:13:24 »
The Tito Neri's hull is made of fiberglass i was going to prime the complete tug before adding colour is this the right thing to do .Do i spray the tug with varnish after the paint is this needed on a fibeglass surface?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 07:17:16 by first tug »

catengineman

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 08:06:49 »
you will need to clean the FG etc on the Tito before you apply any paint (I know I didn't the first time) so its clean clean and clean then paint then its up to you if you laquer or varnish or just leave it as is

R,   I'm crap at painting but learning every day (oh and getting better with each model)