Author Topic: Lettering  (Read 6336 times)

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Lettering
« on: January 12, 2009, 12:04:58 »
Anyone have suggestions for lettering? I have a 1/32nd Foundation franklin that will need to be lettered soon and I no longer have access to the machine I borrowed for my other tugs.

Thanks,

TM
VGJQ

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
Re: Lettering
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 12:17:33 »
Hi TM:
Seeing as you're in the USA, try these folks:

http://www.loyalhannadockyard.com/FLAGS.htm

I get mine direct from the UK, as it's cheaper and WAY faster, but that may not be the case for the US.

...Cheers...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 21:09:27 by tugs53 »
MIKE

manxman

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 22:02:35 »
Hi TM,

I appreciate you and seasoned builders will already know how to apply vinyl lettering, but there may be some who fear using them in case they end up 'wonky'

As with all sticky backed vinyl letters/markings, if you put it in the wrong place peeling off and replacing often results in the small letters stretching out of shape.  To make positioning easy just have a small dish of warm water and washing-up liquid.  Wet the surface with the liquid and dip each letter into it. Now offer up the letter, the liquid allows you to 'slide' it into position, when satisfied pat down with a tissue and allow to dry - sticks better than super glue !

I use this method donkey years ago in my days as a sign writer fixing logos to vans

Cheers - Ken
No matter which way you throw me - I'll always stand.

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 00:38:17 »
Hi TM,

I appreciate you and seasoned builders will already know how to apply vinyl lettering, but there may be some who fear using them in case they end up 'wonky'

As with all sticky backed vinyl letters/markings, if you put it in the wrong place peeling off and replacing often results in the small letters stretching out of shape.  To make positioning easy just have a small dish of warm water and washing-up liquid.  Wet the surface with the liquid and dip each letter into it. Now offer up the letter, the liquid allows you to 'slide' it into position, when satisfied pat down with a tissue and allow to dry - sticks better than super glue !

I use this method donkey years ago in my days as a sign writer fixing logos to vans

Cheers - Ken

What a brilliant idea Ken....Wish I had known that one years ago..

Barry
Barry

pops

• clayt.com
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 04:37:20 »
I have crashed and burned trying it, but some have had some good luck making their own decals. Both clear and white blank decal paper is available online and at some office supply stores. My issues came in the printing process. When I purchased laser decal paper, I had only limited luck on the laser printer at the office. It was like it (the printer) knew I was trying to perform a "government" job on company time and equipment.  :)  My only success was some black on white simple logos and draft markings on the laser printer.

Then I purchased decal paper for inkjet printers. These you have to cover with clear paint before you dip it in water to apply. Well, I never made it to that step either. My printer is capable up to a resolution up to 1440. I tried all types of different settings. The extremes were either far too much ink was being placed on the decal paper, or, the edges just would not end up sharp. They had a fuzzy look to them. I hear the (no longer in production) ALPS printer is the answer, but I don't know anyone that has one to try.

I ended up sending my artwork to Callie Graphics in New Mexico. They cater to the modeling enthusiast and their prices are very fair. In fact. I wasted three times the cost of having them do my artwork up in vinyl, than I spent messing around with the different kinds of decal paper. If anyone has had success with printing their own decals it sure would be nice to learn the secret. I still have several sheets left to give it a try.  ;)

manxman's tip is spot on. wetting the surface and the vinyl decal with water with a little bit of soap, allows you great freedom in maneuvering your decals into place. No more "Oh @)#$%!"

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 10:28:17 »
The soap trick really works well. I have a 1-1 scale boat and lettered the transom this way. For my models I used to have a friend with a machine that cut colored tape for name tags but that is no longer available. I will check with Loyalhanna Dockyard since they are close. Thanks everyone.

TM
VGJQ

large mike

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 00:32:34 »
I use those vinyl letters from Loyalhanna, and had no problem with alignments. If you get one wrong, it can be carefully pulled up and repositioned. I used very light pencil marks as spacing guides, and a piece of scotch tape to keep the bottom of each letter level. Then when you are finished, carefully rub them down to adhere and I spray clear enamel over them so they are sealed.
Large Mike
Member Bay Area Electric Boaters, Largo Florida
Member SSMANA

chipchase

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 01:09:43 »
I have used this company twice and had no complaints http://www.modellettering.com/index.asp
Brian

TERRY

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 04:03:27 »
I always use model lettering. Great service.
Terry.
Measure twice cut once

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 07:16:41 »
Try your local graphics sign shop - they quite often have the 'coffee-fund' scraps there. Showed what I was looking for, few minutes on the computer and I had a half dozen name bars for two boats. They could scan what you wanted as well. Certainly was a painless exercise.

ray28507

• Admiral Poster
  • shuswap
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 07:42:35 »
i use a company in the uk called   becc   (cant remember the full web adress)  ive had a few custom made lettering now   & very impressed with there work :) regards ray
B.C tugs >>  ken mackenzie~07   nellie irene~07    freewinds ~04       sidewinder'in b.c~11'   iron horse~12  malley b~16  western mariner ~14  shuswap ~17
  u.s.a tugs> >  nanuq~11  in the build  hunter  - david j

DickyD

• So many ships. So little time
    • Solent Radio Control Model Boat Club
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 04:57:01 »
I too always use Barry's Model Lettering.

www.modellettering.com

Barry is really helpful and the service is excellent.
RICHARD  

squadron

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 19:26:34 »
Model Tug Man,

can you post pictures of your 1/32 Franklin Foundation. I really would like to see your model as I want to build one myself.

Thanks,
Hugo Garcia

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 03:48:50 »
Hi Hugo,

I have the original Microglass Franklin. I asked Karl to make a hull for me and he is now offering it as part of his inventory. I have a build thread on this forum and there is a separate Franklin discussion all located in the Steam Tugs section:

http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=1859.0

http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=1029.0

I have many pictures and corrections for the existing plans as well as sources for additional valuable information. I look forward to seeing your progress and sharing information. Best of luck with your build.

TM
VGJQ

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 07:29:53 »
I too always use Barry's Model Lettering.

www.modellettering.com

Barry is really helpful and the service is excellent.

I would highly recommend Barry's Model Lettering, I have used him in the past, great service, very helpful and perfect lettering  :)

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !