Author Topic: Build Log: Loyal Theodore  (Read 3617 times)

CGAux26

Build Log: Loyal Theodore
« on: February 15, 2009, 19:48:49 »
Here goes with my build log of the Model Slipways Loyal class tender, working name "Theodore."  I started this build in 2001, got busy elsewhere, and finally got back to it in December 2008. 

This is my first experience with styrene, as you may have noticed from my earlier posts.  After experimenting with several plastic glues, I have settled on MEK with a bunch of styrene cutoffs dissolved in it.  This works very well when applied to taped up joints with a small brush.

One of the pictures here is of a handling test, done with the hull ballasted down to near the waterline.  She goes ahead well and turns tightly, but the steering in reverse is disappointing.  Excessive prop walk, poor steering with any amount of reverse power, etc.  Thus I put in a bow thruster, since I plan on sailing this boat in steering competitions.

Thanks to several Forum members for their help so far.  In particular to Balders, who shared some great pictures of his Loyal.
Dave

CGAux26

Re: Build Log: Loyal Theodore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 19:51:45 »
More pics.
Dave

CGAux26

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 19:54:40 »
And more.
Dave

CGAux26

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 20:04:44 »
More still.
Dave

CGAux26

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 20:07:00 »
Last batch for now.  Enjoy. 

When did this Forum start limiting attachments to 3?
Dave

TERRY

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 01:06:31 »
Looking good Dave,nice neat and tidy work. I would be interested to no if those bow thrusters are okay. I was thinking of trying the twin prop version in one of my boats.
Terry.

Measure twice cut once

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 08:28:10 »
Looking real good Dave!!
The rudder looks to be a big as you can fit there, but a 'larger diameter - less pitch' prop may improve her behavior in reverse, as it will grab a bigger chunk of water.
This worked on one of my single screw tugs, built without a nozzle.
MIKE

CGAux26

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 10:25:23 »
Terry, I have only run the bow thruster with the bow of the boat in a small sink.  It seems to put out plenty of water with a 6 volt battery connected to the 7.2 volt motor.  Mine is the middle size Raboesch thruster sold on Loyalhanna.com.
Dave

TERRY

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 12:02:00 »
Thanks Dave, see how it performs when you get her in the water. The Raboesch is one of the only ones i have not tried. So far the nost expensive one was the worst, and that was the Marx Luder,. powerfull enough, but a flimsey plastic saddle clamp that holds the unit onto the tube,a little lug broke off, and the hole lot fell off. If i had not noticed it before launching it would have sunk my tug Ayton Cross very fast.
Terry.
Measure twice cut once

CGAux26

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 14:57:12 »
I have a Marx BT that I bought years ago, when I first bought my Loyal kit.  After deciding to install a BT, my evaluation of the Marx was much like yours-flimsy attachment between power unit and tunnel, hard to reach the thumb screw once it is installed, etc.  Plus I ran it in water by itself and it's very noisy.  It's now in the surplus box.  The Raboesch seemed at least a bit quieter.
Dave

CGAux26

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 17:41:53 »
Apologies for not posting any build pics in a while.

I am at the step where the Main Sampson Post is cut and fit to the front portside corner of the superstructure.  The instructions call for cutting a 7 inch long piece of 1/2 inch dowel, then cutting a 90 degree slice out of it for a length of 5 inches.  Seeking suggestions on how to make this cut.  I tried the really sharp knife per the instructions, but could not get deep enough.   ::)
Dave

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 23:15:22 »
Have you got a razor saw? I assume you are after cutting a "V" shape in the post, if so a razor saw should do the job nicely, failing that a mini hacksaw should do..
Barry

CGAux26

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 15:22:16 »
I finally came around to using my Dremel with a carbide cut off wheel.  I hesitated at using the Dremel, because my hands are not steady.  But I put the dowel in my small drill press vise, marked the cut with a knife, and cut it with the Dremel.  Came out fine.
Dave