Author Topic: Pacific Light  (Read 3800 times)

manxman

Pacific Light
« on: January 11, 2008, 08:14:49 »
Hi Jim, DDG 51,

Thanks for your interest.  She's based around the OSV Pacific Buccaneer.  Built from plans (2 full size sheets) given away free with Model Marine International some years ago.  She had a strange scale (to me) of 1:66 and thought I may have problems later if I decided to buy any fittings,  so I enlarged the drawings to 1:48 - giving a length of 48" and a beam of 11.5".

Is she built from a kit ? - well if you class 55,ooo matches as a kit, then yes !

She'll be powered by 2 x Power 1ooo motors and Becker rudders (should allow her to turn in her own length) bow & stern thrusters working together (allowing her to move sideways - handy for docking!) working fire monitors and a shed load of lights.

Sadly there is still a lot of work to do before her launch in the spring.
There is a full (to date) photo build of her on the Model Boats Magazine forum, in the gallery section if you want to know how she went together.
A few more pictures below to whet your appetite further

Cheers - Ken

^-^ anyone know what this little fellow stands for, its named "Azn"

No matter which way you throw me - I'll always stand.

Red_Hamish

Re: Pacific Light
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 08:37:32 »
Hello Ken, thanks for this info I too have the "Pacific Buccaneer" plans from MMI , buts somehow I seem to remember getting two lots of the same plan hmmmm. As to the magazine & Model Boats Forum I'll definitely check it out I have not been on there in a long time. An impudent question arises and I have to ask,  how many thousands of hours have gone in so far?

cheers

Jim
enjoy life and model boating not necessarily in that order :-)
www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org  or www.paddleducks.co.uk and the best place to live
www.visitshetland.com of course!

manxman

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 10:20:39 »
If I remember correctly there was a problem with the plans and they somehow got mixed up - what should have been a 2 month feature ended up over 3

Haven't reached the thousands yet - stuck on 966 hrs at the moment.  Many people think because its made from matches its a cheap build, far from it, when complete will have cost in excess of 600 ! - could have bought Hachettes Bismarck for that, but then where's the fun ?

Cheers - Ken

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 10:27:41 by manxman »

DDG 51

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 11:44:26 »
Hi Ken, is any chance to purchase copy of drawings in this scale and set of pictures from you? I want to build fiberglass hulll for this ship and whole tug for me too.  Peter

manxman

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 12:48:44 »

Hi Peter,

Which part of this world do you hail from (it is this world isn't it !)

Ken