Author Topic: Irishman Build  (Read 4064 times)

Quadcap

• Hours of boredom moments of sheer terror
Irishman Build
« on: February 23, 2009, 12:46:33 »
I started the Irishman in 2000 but with working and other distractions got away from it. I have now retired and threw away my wifes job jar so I am now back at it. I will post pictures as I progress. The pictures posted are where I am now. Any hints and tips as I progress would be greatly appreciated.
Jim

Volker

Re: Irishman Build
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 15:09:31 »
There is a website dedicated to the building of the Yorkshireman called FBC's Tug Site.  www.sightlines.ca/thetug/
There are a building log and a number of photographs of the real thing.
Cheers, Volker

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 17:25:35 »
Quadra Island - you're close to a few model builders in the Courtenay/Campbell River area - saw their tugs a couple of years ago in Nanaimo.

Send me your e-mail address - I'll forward you the Nanaimo bulletin - has a few dates in it. Last year a few of us came up to CRiver - small pond was set up at one of the Marine supplies stores and we puttered about for the day there.

Nice looking - bigger - tug

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 20:01:10 »
Hi Jim:
Great chatting with you today!
Your build is looking real good, and it appears that you've got lots invested in your running gear an electronics.

How do you like that power distribution unit from Hbr Models?
MIKE

Quadcap

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 07:32:58 »
Thanks Volker,
I e-mailed back and forth with Frank Bailey quite a bit when I first started the build back in 2000. He was very helpful. We exchanged e-mails a couple of weeks ago and he has put his build on the back burner for now so has not updated his site for some time.
One hint he gave me was to use the glass covering from photography slides for windows. They are just about the right size and the glass is very thin.
Jim

Quadcap

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 07:51:10 »
Hi Mike,
So far I am really pleased with the power distribution box. It eliminates the need for a bunch of different voltage batteries. It has 2-12 volt circuits. 2-6 volt. 2-3 volt and 1-5 volt for the receiver. I guess the proof in the pudding will be in how it stands up under load. I use the 12 volt circuits for the motors and the sound system the 6 volt for the bow thruster and the 3 volt for lights. Everything worked well for the tub test.
Cheers,
Jim

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 18:04:22 »
Good to hear!
I came real close to buying one...then our dollar went down..and down.....

You folks have quite the hobby Store in Campbell River....so I hear.
Have you been in it, and what kinda stock does it have for Scale Boats?

...Cheers...
MIKE

Quadcap

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 12:17:43 »
Hi Mike,
The hobby shop in Campbell River has a good selection of fairly generic stuff, lots of glues and building materials and stuff like that. They are more into trains planes and cars, dune buggies and stuff like that. They will order in specific items and have a few boat kits in stock. It is great to have somewhere handy to pick up odds and ends without having to travel to Nanaimo or Victoria. They have a great selection of Humbrol paints, aluminum, brass and stainless steel tubing.
Cheers,
Jim

Quadcap

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 11:42:53 »
A little more progress. What type of filler is the best? I have been using "Marine Tex" below the waterline and Bondo above the waterline but I find Bondo really goes off too quick. Any sugestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 12:20:30 »
Looking mighty fine there Jim :) :) :) :) :)

I too use bondo, and  the 3M 'Fairing Putty' that comes in a tube for finer work.
It sands real nice and is available at Can Tire, or any auto supply shop.
Marine-Tex is excellent also, but can be 'pricey', depending on where you get it.

Bondo can be 'slowed down', if you add a 'tad' less catalyst to the mixture....but be careful or it will take a day to 'kick-off' >:(

Keep up the good work!!!

Mike
MIKE