Author Topic: Carbon Fibre  (Read 2632 times)

toesup

• USA'd Ex Brit
Carbon Fibre
« on: March 11, 2009, 08:30:46 »
I was wondering if anyone had tried using carbon fibre in hull construction rather than FG mat...

Does it need the vaccuum to be successful?...

Does anyone have Ron Dennis's addy?...  :-\

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
Re: Carbon Fibre
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 09:01:35 »
HI toesup ; Carbonfibre has problems in the past if you use in saltwater . Just one scatch and it will carode and fail .                                                                                                  puffin

toesup

• USA'd Ex Brit
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 09:15:16 »
HI toesup ; Carbonfibre has problems in the past if you use in saltwater . Just one scatch and it will carode and fail .                                                                                                  puffin

Thats interesting to know!..

I've found 'failures' in full size boats using CF, but those have been 'stress' related...

I've not come across anything dealing with corrosion...  ???

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 19:46:26 »
HI toesup; Some of the AMERICA CUP boats had real disasters with mast failing ,just because where they drilled holes in the mast they did not reseal them . When it fails there is no warning it just crumbles . I built  a model sail boat  in the 80's  that was a disaster .                  PUFFIN

ray28507

• Admiral Poster
  • shuswap
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 23:22:43 »
HI toesup; Some of the AMERICA CUP boats had real disasters with mast failing ,just because where they drilled holes in the mast they did not reseal them . When it fails there is no warning it just crumbles . I built  a model sail boat  in the 80's  that was a disaster .                  PUFFIN

i know this is diffrent (off topic)  but i used to do a lot of  angling  & have had rods snap like carrots!! as puffin said give you no warning  just snaps
regards ray
B.C tugs >>  ken mackenzie~07   nellie irene~07    freewinds ~04       sidewinder'in b.c~11'   iron horse~12  malley b~16  western mariner ~14  shuswap ~17
  u.s.a tugs> >  nanuq~11  in the build  hunter  - david j