Author Topic: 'Invader' Class Tugs  (Read 50259 times)

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
Re: 'Invader' Class Tugs
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 08:26:07 »
Yes...please keep us up to speed Keith.
MIKE

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 11:43:12 »
Another picture of one of these brutes ;D  ;D
Konabish photo credit.
Keith:  How goes your build?????

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-hNA1X08Rcwo/SgzeTbm7gcI/AAAAAAAAByU/oY1YvHHKpHc/s912/P1000551.JPG
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 12:20:32 by tugs53 »
"Suds"

bourricot

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 21:37:03 »
I'm interrested with this model and I'm close to order it from Harbor model but when I compare picture of real Invader and pictures of the model from Harbor Models http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/info_pages/harbor_models/Invader_info.htm
I have a strange impression with the size of the wheelhouse comapred to the rest of the ship or maybe only with the size of the windows.

Another thing is about the rudders, here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1209800  there is only two instead of three on pictures of the real tug.

Somebody have information about this class of tug.  As I'm far from this class of ship I'm looking for informations and details pictures or a nice internet link about it

Michel   

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 10:15:15 »
Hoping Keith will get back to you as he's been on these boats and knows them very well.

Suds
"Suds"

bourricot

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 11:23:30 »
Thank you Suds. This class of tug is my favorite one as "classic tug" and it could be a great project to built one at 1/32 scale. Bult I will do it only if I have correct informations and pictures to stay close to reality. I cross my finger.

Michel 

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 14:23:28 by Sudbury II »
"Suds"

bourricot

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2011, 11:07:28 »
Thanks Suds  ;D

I've made a e-mail request to Harbor Models for price of kit + shipping but no answer till now  :'(

Michel

ray28507

• Admiral Poster
  • shuswap
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2011, 14:12:53 »
good find suds  cool  ;D  make's me want to build one now! ::) regards ray
B.C tugs >>  ken mackenzie~07   nellie irene~07    freewinds ~04       sidewinder'in b.c~11'   iron horse~12  malley b~16  western mariner ~14  shuswap ~17
  u.s.a tugs> >  nanuq~11  in the build  hunter  - david j

bourricot

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 06:53:20 »
humm tell me if you have better luck than me with answer from Harbor Models  :-\

Michel

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 10:24:39 »
Hi Michel
I think there may be another source for a hull and info - I'll see if I can find that for you. Other than a hull you should be fine locating the other parts in your part of the world.

bourricot

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 10:37:13 »
Hi Mike

Thank's a lot if you can help me ! 

Michel

bourricot

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2011, 15:07:27 »
I've received an answer from Harbor Model

I apologize for the delay in response, we have been out of power due to a massive wind storm for 5 days.

Unfortunately, shipping fees to Europe for that size box have become etremely expensive.

It would cost you approximately $900-$1100 to ship the Invader Kit to France.

If you are still interested I can get a more exact quote.

Please advise.

Sincerely,

Nick Jacalone

It's a pity as the cost of shipping is more than the price of kit, by the way I'm surprised with the price of shipping, somebody have experience for this kind of shipping !!

I've seen for example that some US or Canadian received hull like the Pacific supply ship from Germany, is that the same price for shipping ?  

Michel
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 00:15:40 by bourricot »

keith

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2011, 22:37:49 »
Another picture of one of these brutes ;D  ;D
Konabish photo credit.
Keith:  How goes your build?????
Not much work on this one in a while as been too busy with other things like work. Get back onto this in 2012!!

keith

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2011, 22:54:50 »
bourricot
The model on Harbor Models web site is close. All these tugs , like many others, always had some slight differences. Not all of them have the 8000 shp. several of the first generations only had 5000shp. The windows do seem small compared to the overal size of the real vessel, but is correct. the pilot house is just slightly higher then the captains cabin behind it. they have a lot of aft deck and sit pretty low in the water.
Rudders depend on what vessel and what year if one makes a model. The original version is tripple rudder. On some of these like acouple that worked up in Valdez Alaska, they either removed the center rudder or welded it in place and made it a skeg as it were. This according to a couple of the captains I have talked to made the tugs more manuverable and easier to handle. My model of the Hunter will have the tripple rudders and they are installed.
There are different house setups as well depending on the boat and where it worked. 3 of them working in Alaska used to have high tower fire fighting stations on borad to help fight a fire on a super tanker. This would create a modified aft housing around the winch and some seriouse large piping work for the monitors. A couple of the tugs also had slightly smaller winches that fit under the deck overhang in the rear of the house while others had a slightly larger winch that that had it sit about 4 feet aft and put it out into the open more.
fendering is also subjective to the indevidual tug. Most have rubber fenders then different size tires mounted fromthe hull over that. A couple only had the fendering and no tires.
Hope this helps a bit. Most of my older photos were gained from seeing these tugs out in Anacortes including the Hunter, one that I got to know very well and get onto many a time thanks to the captains and crews intrest in the model.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2011, 09:01:20 »
What a beauty huh??

This photo courtesy of  Northwest RC Ship Modelers
MIKE