Author Topic: 'Invader' Class Tugs  (Read 61024 times)

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 10:24:21 by tugs53 »
MIKE

bourricot

Re: 'Invader' Class Tugs
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2011, 14:02:57 »
Thank you so much for thoses links and pictures.

The one with the Centurion props is very useful - it's also interresting that there is the only picture of her I ever seen since my visit and sailing aboard her in 1976 or 77 in Mediterranean sea.

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 14:48:10 by Sudbury II »
"Suds"

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2011, 15:31:06 »
Lots of fun searching for these.
"Suds"

islander

• Love the classics!!!!
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2011, 16:31:29 »
I can add some :)
First picture is of the Sentry.
Other two are of the Hunter.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 16:34:17 by islander »

bourricot

« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2011, 13:19:56 »
Whoua, very interresting pictures !

cranton

• Site Supporter
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2011, 20:22:04 »
All these shots are very much appreciated :D, particularly the rudder and prop views since these aren't usually available.

Love ships, turn green on wet grass

bourricot

« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2011, 04:29:05 »
Following the SudburyII link I find that my old friend Centurion was sold to Nigeria

http://www.tugboatinformation.com/tug.cfm?id=1093

then with the IMO number I find those pics

http://photos2.marinetraffic.com/ais/showphoto.aspx?photoid=568442&size=full

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=366766830

And then trying to found her in Nigeria I've seen that she's not arrived yet as just embarket on the Mighty Servant at New York

Nice pictures here, click on picture for better definition. It's also a very nice site for tug activities around New York area

http://tugster.wordpress.com/2011/12/

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 04:30:45 by bourricot »

keith

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2012, 06:12:31 »
here are a couple that was able to find in some of my files. 1 is of the guardian and the other 2 of the Hunter all in Anacortes a couple of years ago.

bourricot

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2012, 08:03:05 »
Hello Keith

Thank you for this pics, I've seen on another forum your excellent work like this one  http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718208  

and also your project with Hunter

Here I was interrested with your comment about "mistake" done on Longbike model. Especially as I've also seen myself this missing starboard stair  http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653260  Then I was really interrested with your comment as you also you said to be able to help people building an Invader class tug with pictures.

Actually I've hundred of differents pics from the net but most of them are general views of the ship and I still have no pictures of the anchor winch or aft side of the superstructure - forward to the towing winch -

The towing winch itself is quite "hinden" on most pics as too much black and always same side viewing.

Then for example about the "famous stair" (missing on most model pictures I've seen)  the only picture I have is one I took as screen capture from a Youtube video taken by a passager during Seattle Tug Race.

It's a real pitty for me as I was aboard of the Hunter and Invader at Annacortes in the 90's  and the idea didn't came to me that time to take details pictures  :'(    

Anyway, compared to the beginning of this topic  :  now I'm on the process to built one Invader class - Certainely the Hunter.

My Harbor model kit is now on way to Europe, ironicaly it's fine for me to think that the hull came from US like the real one  ;)  Following the USPS tracking system she was yesterday at Temple City CA.

Then I still have some works on the hull prior to be at the "missing stair" stage as I intend to add the keel cooling system, the triple rudders, the tyres attachment ...

Thanks to tug53 dry docking pic and also the help of Sudbury II, Islander and other  ...

Keith, following what you said on RC Group Longbike topic when you said that you are able to help with correct info and detail pictures. Your message now is a great hope for me. Especialy as I know now the quality of your work on model and I'm close to your way of model building. Please keep in touch.

Michel
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 14:30:23 by bourricot »

bourricot

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2012, 08:18:56 »
Hello

I've received my Harbor Model kit, seriously it's a pitty that I didn't knew before my order that Gary was also able to produce the hull for less price.

Anyway the Harbor Model hull is nice, the other parts are not so interresting. Even if I well knew that it's a semi-kit, I was thinking parts like towing and anchor winches, ventilation tubing around the superstructures and things like that where with the kit ... and they are not

It's thrue that people working regulary with European kits like Graupner, Billing Boat, Model Slipway and of course Caldercraft  should be disapointed with this one.

Anyway it was my idea to "rebuilt" my Invader following documentations to be closer as possible to the real one.

For international regular postage a box cannot be longer than 46" and the hull was already 53".  Following Harbor Model it was only one solution via Fedex or UPS  with 1 000 dollars for shipment .... Crazy

So I asked Harbor Model to cut the hull in two parts  ;D  Then the box was less than 46" and the postage fee was "normal"  It took 6 days to come from Los Angeles to France (far from large city)

I've received the box at 10 AM, the hull was in one piece around 3 PM and floating on the pound at the end of the afternoon for the pleasure and to know the weight when loaded : around 30 kg (66 Lbs)

Now I'm starting to calculate the step between braket inside the bulwark for openning the water drain drain holes - I'm looking closer for the bilge keel, the keel kooling, the propeller shaft and trippe rudders.  Anyone have some drawings or info ? otherwise I'm starting to calculate following pictures. Thanks to Keith I received some good ones !

To be continue  

« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 09:45:17 by bourricot »

bourricot

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2012, 09:14:11 »
PS : Thanks Tug53 for the link. I have to built the winch from scratch and all pics like that are welcomed. From Keith I've received the first one of the diesel engine which drive this winch (behind the winch) so helpful.

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2012, 07:43:30 »
Here are photos I took in 2005 at anacortes - might help you -

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2012, 07:46:38 »
Three more -

bourricot

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2012, 08:09:43 »
Hello

Thank you very much Mike ... have you some more ??

I sent you a PM.

Michel