Author Topic: Long shot - 'Zwarte Zee'?  (Read 8221 times)

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
Long shot - 'Zwarte Zee'?
« on: May 07, 2009, 09:05:10 »
This is a really long - and probably hopeless, somewhat cheeky even - shot but here goes.

I am looking for a Billings 'Zwarte Zee' (ABS hull). Ideally, it will be started - with windows cut out (that's important) but with nothing else fitted. It can be without fittings - just a plain hull - without motor and the other lekky bits - but must have a rudder. Shaft is not important, as is screw. It can be unpainted, half painted - but if it fits the above and you want to sell for a reasonable price, can you contact me?

I have seen a couple on flea bay but the auto bidding always puts them way outr of my league so I am appealing to folk who know it will go to a good home, be well finished and sail - loved by a fellow tug nut.

I know it is a long shot but hey ho, someone - somewhere - might have one and be reluctant to put it on e.bay knowing it will probably be resold again - at a higher price - by an unscrupulous person!

I will pay any postage as well - so reasonable offers please and form an orderly queue!

Jonty
“The good seaman weathers the storm he cannot avoid, and avoids the storm he cannot weather”

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
Re: Long shot - 'Zwarte Zee'?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 11:20:45 »
Would you consider a wooden hull Zwarte Zee ? I have one somewhere within my workshops ?? Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 13:16:08 »
Hi Don,

Tell me more? I believe this kit is smaller than the ABS one - which was at 1/90 scale? Is it 1/75?

What sort of condition is it in, and does it fit the bill for me with windows and ports cut out because believe me, I cannot do those things! Ideally, I'd like one that was more or less complete - but the fittings are not really an issue - so hull and upperworks done would be sound - I know, I'm lazy - but trust me: I can work with half built models where the hard bits have been done.....!

Any photos Don?

Cheers.

Jonty
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 13:45:58 by ddraigmor »
“The good seaman weathers the storm he cannot avoid, and avoids the storm he cannot weather”

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 23:28:46 »
Hi Jonty, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I have found the hull today but not realising where I had put it, it has sustained some damage to the hull which I will have to repair when I get round to it, by the sounds of it it would be too much for you to do. Sorry, but I will get back in touch when and if I repair it.

Kind Regards, Dan.

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 23:31:24 »
Just found this, ;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330331154760

Could be a good bargin at the right price and I am sure you will be able to get some help on here for cutting and doing the 'difficult' bits ?

Hope its of some help,

Regards, Dan.

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 08:10:23 »
Dan,

Many thanks - I've just bid (and hope to get) a PBM 'Forties Shore' ORSV in decent nick so this will probably be the next project as she is 98% complete bar running gear.

Jonty

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 23:46:25 »
Oh you made a bid, well I am waiting till near the end before I have a bid  :)

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 09:14:18 »
Dan,

She's an unbuilt kit that 'Zwarte Zee' so I am not going to bid again. I was after a partially built one (windows cut out, hull done, accom ready ) that needed fitting our rather than building so please feel free and bid if you want!

I'll eventually get one! There was one on e.bay a while back but I got out bid! Perfect too.... :(

Jonty

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 12:01:06 »
Just got it for £110 inc p&p, not bad I thought  :)

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 11:28:52 »
Hiya Dan,

Ta for that mate - I have looked and will watchj it closely. This is EXACTLY what I am looking for!

Probably it will go before I get a real chance so if anyone reading this has one in similar condition, then get in touch and we can discuss a price!

Cheers mate - appreciate it.

Jonty

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 11:55:46 »
No probs there Jonty, mine arrived today and looking forward to making a start in a few weeks time, I think I will use 1mm plasticard instead of the wood but its a great model to build and now that I have 2 of the same I might make one a free-lance tug.

I am struggling with time and the many models I have so it could be a while untill a start is made on either, but good luck with the auction and I hope you get it.  :)

Kind Regards, Dan

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 13:14:40 »
Dan,

I have one on my side desk here but she's a non-sailer - I bought her and she needed some cosmetic work but the hull was cracked along the keel and pretty badly, the bilge keels were epoxied on in the wrong place - I eventually cosmetically modified her to represent one of Holyhead Towing's tugs - named her 'Afon Goch' after one of theirs I'd served on (a deep sea salvage tug - she sometiomes appears on the front page under tug boat art and is my drawing too!).

The next I get will sail and will be modified - one lifeboat will go completely replaced by a Hiab and a RIB, the other side will be a workboat (motor) rather than a lifeboat - as exisited on the tugs  worked on. She will have two SatNav terminals (domes), the steering compass will come off the bridge fore part, a second radar will be fitted....the spare prop will be re-sited and she'll be repainted and renamed etc. Probably 'Afon Goch' as well! I did post some photos on here of the one I had done - so they are in here somewhere probably under Zwarte Zee.

The plan is to fit the new one, if I get it, with a 4 bladed brass prop and to fit her with Action Electronics kit - I used them before for a conversion on the RTR 'Southampton' I own and Dave did a brilliant job! If I get the kit, he's on my list to fit me with a suitable slow revving / speed motor and his single screw arangement electronics. Can't recommend him highly enough!

She'll also be on 40MHz FM, 2 channel.

Fingers crossed - but for an ex deep sea tugman like me, there was only ever one example of the traditional deep sea salvage tug - and the 'Zwarte' and her sister 'Witte' were the last word in traditional, well proprtioned ships. The last of a line.

onty

Todd

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 13:50:02 »
Here is a `long shot` of the "Zwarte Zee", I always thought she was a lovely looking boat...we will not see her likes again...mores the pity.

Jim
Capt Jim

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 14:09:13 »
Dan,

I have one on my side desk here but she's a non-sailer - I bought her and she needed some cosmetic work but the hull was cracked along the keel and pretty badly, the bilge keels were epoxied on in the wrong place - I eventually cosmetically modified her to represent one of Holyhead Towing's tugs - named her 'Afon Goch' after one of theirs I'd served on (a deep sea salvage tug - she sometiomes appears on the front page under tug boat art and is my drawing too!).

The next I get will sail and will be modified - one lifeboat will go completely replaced by a Hiab and a RIB, the other side will be a workboat (motor) rather than a lifeboat - as exisited on the tugs  worked on. She will have two SatNav terminals (domes), the steering compass will come off the bridge fore part, a second radar will be fitted....the spare prop will be re-sited and she'll be repainted and renamed etc. Probably 'Afon Goch' as well! I did post some photos on here of the one I had done - so they are in here somewhere probably under Zwarte Zee.

The plan is to fit the new one, if I get it, with a 4 bladed brass prop and to fit her with Action Electronics kit - I used them before for a conversion on the RTR 'Southampton' I own and Dave did a brilliant job! If I get the kit, he's on my list to fit me with a suitable slow revving / speed motor and his single screw arangement electronics. Can't recommend him highly enough!

She'll also be on 40MHz FM, 2 channel.

Fingers crossed - but for an ex deep sea tugman like me, there was only ever one example of the traditional deep sea salvage tug - and the 'Zwarte' and her sister 'Witte' were the last word in traditional, well proprtioned ships. The last of a line.

onty

I (and am sure other members) would like to see some photos of you AFON GOCH if you have some please post them  :)

Regards, Dan.