Author Topic: Long shot - 'Zwarte Zee'?  (Read 7940 times)

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
Re: Long shot - 'Zwarte Zee'?
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 19:42:09 »
I'll second that :) :) :) :)
MIKE

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 08:42:20 »
Your wish is..........

No beauty - but mine. Alas, she can't sail but maybe the next one will! BTW the weathering is intended!

Jonty
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:45:40 by ddraigmor »
“The good seaman weathers the storm he cannot avoid, and avoids the storm he cannot weather”

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 10:52:54 »
You have done a great job there Jonty, what is the reason for her being a 'non-sailer' ?

Just compared the wooden hull to my new one and the ABS is slightly smaller although it is 1;90 scale, I have started to scan the wood sheets and printing the images onto 1mm plasticard as I prefer to spray paint my models and this will eliminate the 'wood grain'.

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 12:32:04 »
Don,

She's cracked somewhere along the keel and leaks like the proverbial sieve. Also, the bilge keels are way out - one on the port side is OK the other - starboard side - is whoa! That would affect her steering so I'd need to have a bias on it all the time. Might be OK turning one way but not the other! Also, I gutted the old electrics so she just has a motor.

There is also a leak - which I could not find - around the prop shaft area towards the stern. None of which would be impossible to fix but somehow I like her as she is!

I am bidding like mad on e.bay for the one on sale - he PM'd me privately to make an offer anmd so I said £60 and he's thinking ab out it! With that I can work her into a sailer for sure and at 1:90 fittings as additions should be no problem - although the moving HIAB I managed to get was pretty hard to find - in the end I used one off a truck moel I bought and it looks scale and fine! There are plenty of Sirmar fittings for things like RIBs and a Gemini plus the workboat is to scale and fits the davits as they are. All in all, a second attempt would be a better project I reckon. I thought the wooden hulled one was smaller than the ABS hulled one?

I use Railway models paint on mine by brush. Applied properly, they can present a typical 'realistic' ship as no ship in that trade is ever perfectly painted. Add some weathering and she would like 'well used' - just as she would had she ever sailed for my old company (who were, at one stage, rumoured to have had a look at her sister for purchase. As it never happened I always had a yen to see what she'd be like in their colours and fitted up for these more modern days!)

Jonty

“The good seaman weathers the storm he cannot avoid, and avoids the storm he cannot weather”

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 08:34:40 »
PS - Just bought the half finished model off ebay for £75 including postage.

Should keep me busy for a while!

Jonty

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 11:20:11 »
Excellent stuff  :) :) Remember to keep us all posted with photos of your progress, I just start my one today so will start a build log on here soon.

I guess (and not being big-headed) that it just show what other members will do to help others out  ;)

Good luck with your build, I am glad to of been some help,

All the very best, Dan.

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 13:33:21 »
Dan,

Indeed - and my thanks to you for the link and the eventual purchase. Hopefully, a full survey will take place next week and I can look at the overall condition of her and generally sit back and wonder why I ever got involved in the hobby in the first place!

The plan is to 'fantasise' her into what might have been had Holyhead Towing not got out of the deep sea salvage market. True to their traition, she will have a local name (one not used yet) 'Afon Cybi' and be registered where all theirs are - Beaumaris. The plan is to have her in a modern day role - so SatNav, Rib on deck plus Gemini, a workboat rather than a lifeboat. Maybe some other fiddly bits added - bull ring up in the bows etc. Overall, a general re-fit and re-paint before I ask that lovely man at Action Electronics to suggest a nice single screw system on 2 channels that is slow enough to be realistic whilst dependable!

OK, so rather than a build log - a conversion log!

Jonty

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 22:43:12 »
Brilliant, you seem to have a firm idea in your head, hope the survey doesn't bring too many hidden issues ! Good Luck, Dan.

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 13:10:37 »
Hi Jonty,

I have started a build log tonight of my Zwarte Zee, it will be a free-lance type which will be revealed later on in the log !

http://modeltugforum.com/index.php?topic=1720.msg16707;topicseen#msg16707

Should you need any details, parts made for your newley bought one, please don't hesitate to ask, I can't supply fittings but would be willing to construct any 'top-sides' that you may require building after your 'survey'

Kind Regards, Dan.

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 09:51:59 »
Dan,

Thanks - had a look and she appears to be not that good!

I'll hold out for one of the ABS hulled ones I think!

Jonty

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2009, 13:18:31 »
I am hoeping to make a start on the progress of my one next week, nothing further done as yet but it will happen very soon and maybe it might be in the post to you soon  ;)

Cheers Jonty, Dan.

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster