Author Topic: Masking tape  (Read 6275 times)

AlanP

• Boats, allotments and chickens
Masking tape
« on: January 18, 2008, 11:41:04 »
I have been trying to put a thin white line on my hull, (for the water line) using masking tape but the paint keeps creeping (if thats the right word) under the masking tape and making a mess. It's a paper type of masking tape and I must admit I have had it awhile but it still seems quite sticky. Is there another sort of masking tape that is better.  It has happened on other parts of the boat and made a mess  :'(  and is becoming quite frustrating   >:(
Hope someone can give me guidance on this matter before I take an axe to the boat.

tango

Re: Masking tape
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 11:52:10 »
Hi Alan, when you have masked the water line, paint the first coat using the same paint as is on the hull, any paint that creeps under the masking tape is then the same colour as the hull and then paint the white over the top. you could also use a compatable clear varnish which will do the job.
you could also use white pinstriping for cars but unfortunately it will look just like pinstripes.

Hope this is some help, if not talk to Stavros on this forum as he is our tame, house trained painter.

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE JUST FOUND A 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 12:17:58 »
Hi Alan, when you have masked the water line, paint the first coat using the same paint as is on the hull, any paint that creeps under the masking tape is then the same colour as the hull and then paint the white over the top. you could also use a compatable clear varnish which will do the job.
you could also use white pinstriping for cars but unfortunately it will look just like pinstripes.

Hope this is some help, if not talk to Stavros on this forum as he is our tame, house trained painter.

Mark.

Good idea but tame and house trained may be pushing it a little far.........Sorry Stavros

Alan, He does give out some great advise though.
Barry

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 14:33:56 »
Footski I will deal with you later ;)

Paint bleeding under masking tape is a big COMMON problem that can be so easily avoided,how ,simple really.
Instead of using masking tape for the line use insulation tape,yes you did read  it right.Use a good quality insulation tape to get your perfect waterline topping line or whatever,then after you are happy use masking tape over the insulation tape leaving a gap to the tape edge and mask as normal.you will find that you will get NO bleed through at all it works trust me I know.
Youu can also use Tamya fine line tape expensive but it works,Buy some proper fine line tape from a Paint motor factors,I must confess what I use is 1/4inch insulation tape from an electrical wholesaler.

TOP TIP

afetr painting eg your water line leave it for about half an hour DEMASK the boat being of course very carefull not to get the tape on to the hull,NOW MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A 1000% CLEAN FINGER run it quickly along the join in the paint,WHY simple it will lay the hard edge down flat and you will hardly feel it.Good luck

Stavros

OVER HERE PERMAMENTLY TO HAVE A QUIET LIFE

AlanP

• Boats, allotments and chickens
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 13:48:09 »
Thanks for all the advice lads,  I will try your way Stavros, as I was an electrician in a previous life I have a good stock of insulation tape.       Does it have to be red or black   ;D

Alan

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 14:56:39 »
No it has to be GREEN now if you were a sparky you must have some of the 1/4inch variety htis is excellent and what I use ;)

Stavros

Captain Jack

• Uniform of the day at sea?
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 16:35:25 »
Stavros, I've been using the blue, painters masking tape lately with good sucess. The electricians tape is better in your opinion? I'd like to try that method, but I can see problems if I need to make curves. Any hints? Can you stretch the tape slightly as with the masking tape to get it to do slight bends? I also paint military aircraft as part of my job. You may have just enlightened me in a way that may save both time and money. Thank you, Sir.
Fair winds, and following seas....
Captain Jack sends>>>>>

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 07:32:21 »
As an aircraft painter dont you have narrow fine line tape to do curves how do you stop the paint from going under masking tape.I used to spray hawks i for the RAF and the high solid paints were a bugger for it.the only cure was insulating tape.
Right then as for curves simple have a scalpel balde in hand start sticking down tape and trim width as you go along

Stavros

Captain Jack

• Uniform of the day at sea?
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 18:51:26 »
I'm definately going to give the insulating tape a try. And yes the high solids is a true pain to work with. We generally use the CARC paints, two part epoxy. Of course, a little bleeding paint on a combat helo is really no big deal, but on a model, I can't stand to see it! By the way, I usually use the high fill sandble primer meant for automobiles on my models. Do you recommend this, or is their something better?
Fair winds, and following seas....
Captain Jack sends>>>>>

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 00:49:55 »
Hi I use something similar that is available for the Automotive industry good stuff it is as well

Stavros

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 06:35:06 »
Hi All!
Speaking of 'previous live's', way back, I bailed-out a friend, financially, who was in the Auto-Body business, and got a short but educational lesson in 'prep and paintwork', from a couple of his painters, before I sold the outfit.
I will say that Stavros; 'you know your stuff', and this information is very very usefull to all us builders, and I thank you for it!!
There's nothing worse that spending countless hours sanding,filling,sanding,filling.......... and so on, only to have your paint-job go 'sideways'!!
One tip I learn't, and it's "stuck" with me for all these years, is to remove the tape as soon as you are done painting, and the paint has 'tacked-up', bearing in mind that I'm useing a high quality 'masking' tape.

What do you think on this??

Cheers!

Mike
MIKE

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 14:23:02 »
Top tip comming up

When you have removed masking tape run CLEAN finger quickly along join line of paint it helps to lay teh harshness of the join down.

As regards removing tape as soon as poss I usually remove all masking within 5 mins of spraying.Yes I knwo it is risky and takes Bottle to do it but it works and gets rid of hard edges

Stavros

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 17:05:21 »
Great Top Tip
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 15:31:21 by tugs53 »
MIKE

DickyD

• So many ships. So little time
    • Solent Radio Control Model Boat Club
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 05:25:04 »
Why use paint Alan, why not use vinyl pin striping, comes in lots of different widths.

Barrys Model Lettering do it.

www.modellettering.com

RICHARD