Author Topic: HMCS Labrador  (Read 3179 times)

camelonmariner

• Model Builder since 2001
HMCS Labrador
« on: June 01, 2009, 10:25:29 »
My latest project is  1:96 scale model, scratch built, of the Canadian Navy's first and last Ice Breaker. Next year is the Navy's 100 anniversary so to help celebrate I decided to build this vessel
It is a modified  American "Wind" class  breaker commissioned in 1954 paid off 1957 The vessel circumnavigated  North America from Halifax through the Northwest  passage down through the Panama canal and back to Halifax. At that time it was the largest vessel to make this voyage ( 1956 ) It was transferred to Coast Guard where . I sailed  aboard her in the winter of 1963 on the Canadia east coast doing ice breaking  duties. A good vessel but rolled like the devil  and as I was Sparky I had the  highest seat on board.
Other pic is  Richard Webb's Thomas the Tug, made from styrene
Camelon Mariner
p.s. my first photo post , I hope it turns out, no doubt if it doesn't someone will let me know
Camelon Mariner

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
Re: HMCS Labrador
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 11:05:27 »
Camelonmariner,

Oh yes it worked and a very nice photo it is too. Thanks for the post. I have split it from where you put it to create it's own thread.
Barry

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 11:11:54 »
Hmmmm, Wind-breaker. Could be a problem there.

Best wishes on your new build. Always looking forward to pictures.

TM
VGJQ

xtian29

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 13:21:37 »
Hello

Very nice ice-breaker, I've seen an absolutly superb model of her at the Halifax Maritime Museum, a very nice museum for people interrested with the Titanic (I'm not) but also for a lot of thing.

Those ice breakers (like the US one) are very hard to built because of so many "deck mess".

I was surprised about the small size of those ice breaker as in early 90's I've the chance to walk a little on the deck of the Westwind in the reserve of the Navy Yard of Bremerton WA.  I have to say that I was aboard of the bigger Polar Sea the day before and it was like coming from a Las Vegas palace to a Michigan motel !

A+ Xtian       

camelonmariner

• Model Builder since 2001
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 17:08:22 »
It is my understanding that the Halifax model is a duplicate of the Wind class icebreakers and that the HMCS Labrador is a modified  version, the main difference is the housing above the wheelhouse. The Labarodor  only had one housing whereas the Halifax one has two. This was the radio shack.
Camelon Mariner

p.s. the two missing photos are attached
Camelon Mariner

xtian29

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 22:38:47 »
Hello

It is my understanding that the Halifax model is a duplicate of the Wind class icebreakers and that the HMCS Labrador is a modified  version, the main difference is the housing above the wheelhouse. The Labarodor  only had one housing whereas the Halifax one has two. This was the radio shack.

It's a pity for a so nice model and a museum model (should be a reference)

A+ Xtian

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 22:41:43 »
Excellent photos. thanks for posting them.. :) :)
Barry