Author Topic: "Thorshavet" salvage 1984  (Read 3274 times)

Todd

• Admiral Poster
"Thorshavet" salvage 1984
« on: June 05, 2009, 02:27:03 »
Thanks Barry.

This is the view we had as we approached to assist in the FiFi operations. The two sets of lights on the right are the stern lights of the two tugs towing the casualty.
Capt Jim

Todd

• Admiral Poster
Re: "Thorshavet" salvage 1984
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 02:30:53 »
This is the sea on fire astern of the ship,the deck-lights that can be seen through the flames are of the tug "Amtersdam" who was also in attendance.
Capt Jim

Todd

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 02:35:13 »
The starb`d light that can be seen is the "Gray Titan" and the vessel she is alongside is the "Salvanguard" ex "Alice L Moran".The sea ablaze can clearly be seen at our stern.
I might point out that we didn`t stay there very long as the water we were putting out (a ton a second) was going over ship and all attending craft and doing absolutely nothing. The foam cannon on the Titan was on the top of the mast and to get an angle were I could get the foam into the hole the ship had to put on a list to Port.As soon as this was done the fire was out in a matter of minutes, 20 to 25 approx. The cool down took 9hours....out of our cannons alone that would be in the region of 31500 tonnes.  :D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 02:58:22 by Todd »
Capt Jim

Todd

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 02:38:17 »
The fire is out and the cool down period is well underway..to prevent possible `flash-back` from the heat still inert within the cargo/hull.
Capt Jim

Todd

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 02:42:55 »
This shows the hole after the missile had entered and exploded inside causing the whole problem. Iran has a lot to answer for,their arguement was with Iraq why attack ships who were dealing with Saudi,Kuwait etc.?
Capt Jim

Todd

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 02:49:56 »
And finally, we leave to go back to our salvage station off the Bahrain Boat Beacon,the tow continued to Dubai were the "Thorshavet" was `patched up`, and the rest is history.

The date was 24th December 1984 so a lot of peoples Christmas was Bu**ered Up.

I would have entered these under two posts but my trying to do so caused me to be informed that I had `timed out` so please excuse this method. 

Jim
Capt Jim

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 03:45:14 »
Jim,

Amazing and dramatic pictures. many thanks for them. As a landlubber with a poor memory, could you give us a little more info on the history of this missile attack please?
Barry

Todd

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 04:30:06 »
Hi Barry,
          During the Gulf War, Iran and Iraq were at each others throats because Iraq had layed claim to the upper regions of the Shatt al Arab and invaded Khorramshah (I believe.) All out war then ensued. The Shatt al Arab was always a bug-bear in both countries sides.They had a tentative agreement and pilotage from seaward upto Fao/Abadan was by Iraqi pilots,once there any vessels going further up river to Irani ports would be piloted by Irani pilots.Those going to Basrah etc would continue with Iraqi pilots ofcourse.Once the war got into full swing all hell broke loose and Iran were reduced to sending children into battle equipped with a key that would guarantee immediate entrance into the 7th Heaven should they be killed and thus martyrised. I dont know why the Irani forces decided to attack shipping that were using Saudi/Kuwaiti ports unless they thought those countries were siding with Iraq and helping Iraq divert some of it`s oil through their facilities.

What typically would happen would be a small single engine plane would fly over the shipping using the trade routes and if they recognized a particular ship,or one they thought might have been engaged in this trade, they would radio this info to Irani warships hiding over the horizon who would then send a surface to surface missile over and BOOM....here we go again. Inevitably this plane was called the "Angel of Death" and the mere sound of a light engine would have everybody scanning the skyline for possible sightings and thereby a degree of warning could hope to be gained. Not very effective defence I am sad to say.

It did wonders for  Dubai Dry Dock shareholders not to mention hordes of salvors.

Jim
Capt Jim

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 07:29:37 »
Great pictures and info :) :) :) :)

Thanks for sharing with us Jim 8) 8)

...Cheers...
MIKE