Author Topic: Tugs Towing & Offshore Newsletter  (Read 15716 times)

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
Re: Tugs Towing & Offshore Newsletter
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2010, 06:48:09 »
I am certain that a forum member who goes by the name of VOLKER will be able to verify this  :) :)

Regards, Dan.

ps, a pm has been sent to Volker to see if he knows  ;)
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

Volker

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 10:01:05 »
Shown is the WESER: http://www.esys.org/news/SOS-Bilder-2010/02-11-Weser.jpg
Here are some more photos of the tug before she was lifted by Bugsier's sheerlegs ENAK. http://www.binnenschifferforum.de/forum/showthread.php?p=66511
The Weser belongs to SBU (Schleppbetrieb Unterweser) which has nothing to do with URAG (Unterweser Reederei AG). She was delivered as WOLF to Norddeutscher Lloyd in February 1957. Assigned to Hapag-Lloyd AG in 1970 and to T&S (Transport & Service Gmbh) in 1974. WOLF was sold to Velox Hafenbetrieb und Stauerei and renamed BUGSIER 18 (no connection to Bugsier Reederei in Hamburg at all) in 1977. Sold to Heinz Schumacher and renamed Wesertug in 1986. Sometime after 1995 she got sold to SBU and renamed WESER.

Dimensions:
Length:         22.80 m
Beam:            6.20 m
Draught:        3.20 m
Main engines: 2 x Klöckner Humboldt Deutz type St 8M826 with 420 bhp each
Propulsion:     2 x Voith Schneider propellers

The first two commercial tugs with VSP propulsion were the HOMMEL and WESP with 2 x 300 bhp for Force Navale Belge in 1952.
Volker

FsASTSyd1

• Site Supporter
  • I love cooking with Wine, sometimes I put it in the food
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2010, 01:10:38 »
Thanks for the update, I had only found the names not the owners. Some of these tugs seem to have more complicated lifetime changes than the average  family.
Best regards
Syd
Syd J

Brian

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2010, 08:58:57 »
Thanks for the history Volker.
The Weser is a nice looking old timer.
Even if she has been re-floated, I guess she's just being used for parts? What a shame, it's like watching someone being plucked of their organs while still alive :(

Volker

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2010, 13:13:09 »
The WESER is used for spare parts only as SBU owns an identical sister, GREIF. In total there were five sisters built by Jade Werft in Wilhelmshaven vor Norddeutscher Lloyd.
Volker

biza

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2019, 02:30:29 »
hi, im now on one of them! Build in 1956 original name "Mars", bought by name "Tak" from Ravena, Italy. Now named "Malin" working in "Lošinjska plovidba"shipyard in port of Mali Lošinj in Island of Lošinj, Croatia.

Thank you for finding some more info about history of this ship!

Photo taken few years ago :)

des

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2019, 15:55:32 »
Hi Biza.  Where have you been?  You joined the Forum in 2013, and this is your first post?  I hope we here more from you.  Des.

Volker

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2019, 00:35:44 »
The Mars is one of the group of five to which Wolf/Weser also belongs. The original names were Bär, Mars, Wal, Wolf, and Luchs.

Mars was delivered by Jadewerft Wilhelmshaven GmbH to Norddeutscher Lloyd (NDL) in December 1956. Assigned to Hapag-Lloyd AG in 1970 and to T&S (Transport & Service Gmbh) in 1974. Mars was sold to Ocean Shipping Bunker & Barges S.p.A in Triest, Italy in 1977 and renamed Tak. Still listed as Tak in 2002.

Here ends my literature.

The particulars are the same as Wolf/Weser. The bollard pull was 9 t.

The history is perhaps not as wild (Wolf/Weser) as assumed. NDL merged with Hapag to Hapag-Lloyd. T&S was just a subsidiary of Hapag-Lloyd. It was founded und took over all towage during a re-organization of Hapag-Lloyd in 1974.
Regards, Volker

biza

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2019, 13:16:20 »
Thank you very much Volker.

U can update your literature now :)

As I know "Lošinjska plovidba" Shipyard bought "Tak" from "GESMAR", now part of "Rimorchiatori Riuniti" as scrap metal in 2010 or 2011.
She was conserved and just laying in Ravena for many years. "Bat" was there also (another one of sisters).
She is old, but top quality ship. Voith propulsion is just working and working and working... Cheef engineer that reapaired engines on her told me they have put fuel and oil and started engine after many years almost on first try. They were all surprised because they thought Italians pensioned her because of some malfunction...

@Des
Oh Des, it seems like yesterday... :)
Seriously, I have been reading forum for a while and yesterday I was cleaning bookmarks and found this thread and posted without caring it is almost 10 years old.

Cheers!

Volker

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2019, 01:42:04 »
Thanks for the additional information, biza.

At that time most German tugowners build their tugs to higher than the classification society standards. That is one reason that many older German tugs work around Europe.

E.g. Iskes towage of Ijmuiden, The Netherlands, bought the 1978 built Bugsier 8 in 2009 and still uses her.
Regards, Volker