Author Topic: Concrete tugs  (Read 2964 times)

Todd

• Admiral Poster
Concrete tugs
« on: June 25, 2009, 00:03:45 »
Whilst rooting around I came across these pictures.
Info I have is:
'CRETEHAWSER' built 1919 by the Wear Concrete Building Co, a subsidary of Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson @ Southwick,Sunderland.
Steam Tug.....262GT.....126' x 28' x13'.

There were about six built but I cannot find any other photos nor can I find any details of the power of them.

Jim
Capt Jim

Todd

• Admiral Poster
Re: Concrete tugs
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 00:05:49 »
Two more pics.

Jim
Capt Jim

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 00:53:39 »
Jim,
Great photos, but I am a little confused......On the first picture, she has a raised foredeck, but on the others she obviously doesn't. Is it the same tug or was she modefied in later life?? :-\ :-\
Barry

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 07:20:37 »
Concrete Tugs....what a concept!! :o :o

I had no idea that they were built...but some of the concrete liberty ships and tankers built for the big war(s) are still afloat, and being used as breakwaters at the Powell River Pulp Mill here in BC Canada.
MIKE

Todd

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 08:24:40 »
Jim,
Great photos, but I am a little confused......On the first picture, she has a raised foredeck, but on the others she obviously doesn't. Is it the same tug or was she modefied in later life?? :-\ :-\

Barry stop being confused,those pics are of the stern believe it or not, maybe the way she was laying as they broke her up caused the illusion of it being the bow. I must admit that when I first saw them I thought the same but when reading the accompanying text I was put right.  :D  :o

Jim
PS The one of the interior is the forc's'l head.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 10:39:02 by Todd »
Capt Jim

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 10:07:01 »
Should have known better Jim, so sorry for doubting you!! :-[ :-[
Barry

Todd

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 11:04:25 »
I thought that having a concrete tug it would be only fair to show concrete barges that were still being used in the 1960's in Liverpool.
They were put up for sale at the end of WW2 and at 25 each they certainly paid for themselves in the long term.They were amongst the weird and wonderful craft used in the D-Day Landings and in the subsequent supply chain.(All available metals in the UK having been used up for other purposes......I remember seeing an old Pathe News in which the Royal Family had done their bit by donating all sorts of metal kitchen utensils to the cause  :D  ;D.....AHHH, the hardship only having one pan left to make the 'scouse' in.  ;D  ;D)

Jim
PS One memory I have of them was one being struck by a tug that was trying to 'grab-a-hold' of it after it had broken adrift from another tug,this caused it to crack and was put alongside Canning Dock sea wall until the tide went out to attempt repair/salvage.
When the tide went out and the barge was high and 'dry' it was found that the cargo of grain had swollen up and totally split the barge in half.
Capt Jim

willowgarth

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 16:23:44 »
Hi Jim,
The Cretehawser, the first of twelve, was powered by a 750 HP triple expansion engine with 2 forced draught scotch boilers working at 180 lbs sq in. bunkers 80 tons. Nearly all those concrete barges were used in the making of Otterspool prom.
Cheers Fred.
Fred, (I can't walk on water but I have staggered on whisky)

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 21:49:50 »
HI ALL ; In the forties they made concrete propellers ,and coated them with brass . Came across a couple of them doing salvage work and thought we had a real good score . Wish I had kept one .                         PUFFIN

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 10:08:42 »
Concrete Props :o :o

Who could imagine that :)
MIKE