Author Topic: Some done in MS Paint  (Read 12456 times)

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
Re: Some done in MS Paint
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 13:16:34 »
Make money out of it?

No Dan - not the point! I just love them and it's great to see them up and being commented on. Mind you, years ago I did a set of two fishing boats and framed them in some old frames I had. The ex wife (she was the wfe then!) took them to a car boot when I was at sea and got £20 for the pair - not bad for almost 18 years ago now! They were done on paper though.

Mind you, I was at sea at the time so didn't share in the spoils......!

Jonty
“The good seaman weathers the storm he cannot avoid, and avoids the storm he cannot weather”

willowgarth

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2009, 13:33:13 »
To ddraigmor,
Hi Jonty, If you do Salvonia, the band will be white. If you depict her as Rode Zeethe band will be 2 colours, blue over red - the old Smit colours.
Fred
Fred, (I can't walk on water but I have staggered on whisky)

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2009, 13:38:51 »
Make money out of it?

No Dan - not the point! I just love them and it's great to see them up and being commented on. Mind you, years ago I did a set of two fishing boats and framed them in some old frames I had. The ex wife (she was the wfe then!) took them to a car boot when I was at sea and got £20 for the pair - not bad for almost 18 years ago now! They were done on paper though.

Mind you, I was at sea at the time so didn't share in the spoils......!

Jonty

Are you sure she didn't get £40 and only give you £20  ;) ;)
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 13:53:44 »
I have 2 different photos in my archives of two tugs both called the RODE ZEE what one are you needing in colour ? I guess it is the b&w one  ;)

Regards, Dan.

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 14:15:15 »
Willow,

Many thanks indeed - that makes sense to me now for the old Smit colours. What colours were the masts, if you know?

Dan - yes, the Black and white one! No, she had spent it all by the time I got home - 's why I divorced her  :-[

And as a once only, special treat, I also did 6 aircraft about three years ago and this is one of them. The most beautiful of all classic jets in my humble opinion.....the Hawker Hunter. Again, done with MS Paint on the PC.

Jonty
“The good seaman weathers the storm he cannot avoid, and avoids the storm he cannot weather”

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 14:26:29 »
I thought as much ! the B&W one  :'(, I will email a few contacts to see if they have colour photos for you  :)

Regards, Dan.

willowgarth

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 15:31:18 »
Jonty, the masts on the Rode Zee were a buff colour.
Fred

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2009, 00:53:22 »
Fred,

I'll probably do some work on the drawing this weekend so thanks fior the information.

I will take a guess at the colours on the banding - but in some it looks like the rubbing strake also carried the banding as well. Ta very much for the info - without people like you and forums like this, it would be hard to get things right enough to look accurate.

Cheers!

Jonty

Todd

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2009, 02:27:09 »
A little further info on the 'Roode Zee' (RN spelling) she was commissioned by the RN in 1941 and sunk by the German MTB 'S 100' off Dungeness on 24 April 1944. I have no details of casualties, in any, hopefully there were none.

Jim
Capt Jim

willowgarth

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2009, 08:26:56 »
Jonty,
I am getting a bit confused now, which Rode Zee are you modelliing?
There were 4 of them, 1 - built 1908; 2 - built 1938 which is the one Jim is referring to; 3 - built 1949 the tug I assumed you were building and the 4th built 1968 was a big tug with twin funnels.
The colours of the hull band were a lightish blue like cobalt blue or Humbrol 89 and the red was similar to Humbrol 60 or 153. These won't be too far out, Blue over red (I'm glad I am not painting them)
Cheers Fred
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 08:35:20 by willowgarth »

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2009, 14:08:04 »
The 'Rode Zee' (Correct spelling!) was based on the 'Witte Zee' (II) that was built by J. & K. Smit, Kinderdijk, 328 grt, 1000 BHP. There were a few in the class that were similar in design:

'Humber' (II) 1948, L. Smit & Zoon, Kinderdijk, 387 grt, 1350BHP

'Rode Zee' (IV) 1949, J. & K. Smit, Kinderdijk, 500 grt, 2000 which later became 'Neptunia' of Overseas Towage and Salvage (1966)

'Oceaan' ( II) 1951, J. & K. Smit, Kinderdijk, 497 grt, 2000 BHP later 'Salvonia' of Overseas Towage and Salvage (1968)

'Oostzee' (IV) 1953, J. & K. Smit, Kinderdijk, 497 grt, 2000 BHP.

The basic ships were the same layout with very minor differences, so the drawing I am doing could be any one of them at this stage. It really depends on what photo I get which shows the greatest detail.

Jonty

willowgarth

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2009, 14:57:54 »
Jonty,
This is the best shot I've got of Rode Zee, you might find there is quite a difference in some of the tugs in your list. Hope this helps.
Fred
OOPS! IT's the same one Sea Mariner posted, Sorry
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 15:02:13 by willowgarth »

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2009, 17:23:03 »
From an illustrator's point of view there is not much difference that cannot be altered as the hull is the same shape and the funnel too - major differences are around the bridge deck area on the 'Humber' when compared to, say the 'Oceaan'.

In the case of the 'Rode Zee' here she is as built in 1949 and then under is the 'Oostzee' built some five years afterwards.

Particulars for 'Rode Zee' - 500 GRT, 108 NRT, L48,67m(45,99), B8,84m(8,79), D4,553m(4,96)
 diesel 6cyl B&W, 1300bhp, sp 14knot

'Oostzee' - 497 GRT, 79 NRT, L48,62m(45,22), B8,84m, D4,566m(4,96)
diesel 6cyl MAN, 1300bhp sp 14knot

If there are differences, then it is probably in the 'Humber' which was 387 GRT, 97 NRT, L43,29m(40,19), B8,26m, D4,115m(4,55) and around 900BHP. She is different for'ad to the others.

I'll go with either the 'Rode Zee' or the 'Oceaan' / 'Oostzee' as they are the type I am drawing!

Jonty