Author Topic: Foundation Franklin Build  (Read 56690 times)

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Foundation Franklin Build
« on: August 05, 2009, 05:47:04 »
I have decided to take the plunge and post my current project The tug Foundation Franklin. I first read Grey Seas Under by Farley Mowat while in middle school and thought what a great model the Franklin would make. Alas, there were no kits that a young lad of limited talents could cope with. Many years later while discussing the Franklin with an aquaintence in PA I was informed that there was a plan available from Taubman Plan Service now operated by Loyalhannah. The purchase was made and the plans arrived shortly thereafter. Not possessing the skills to build the hull I began casting about for someone who could handle that end of the project. I spent some time discussing the project with Ron Burchett and sent copies of the Taubman plans as well as a copy of the original ship construction plans from the museum in Greenwich, England. Unfortunately Ron was unable to take on the work so back to the drawing board. My PA friend told me about Karl at Microglass and the rest is history. with an excellent but rather large 1/32nd hull to start with I was on my way. Pictures from Karl's shop are below.
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: Foundation Franklin Build
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 07:15:26 »
I placed an order with Harbor Models for a big, fat Pittman motor, prop shaft and log with oilite bushings and a 4 blade 4" prop. While I was waiting for those to arrive I cut out a section of the stern for the keel extension and rudder support. I also fabricated the prop surround from sheet brass and let that into the hull at the stern. The keel extension was drilled and through bolted to the hull with jam nuts and locktite to ensure that they did not back out. The inside of the stern was then sealed with body filler which also covered the keel bolts.
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 07:20:02 »
The rudder was made from sheet brass and brass rod and tubing. The rudder on the Franklin had an extension added to it before she was purchased by Foundation Maritime and this was included on the model with the straps that secure it to the original rudder blade. See picture in previous post.
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 07:26:46 »
This picture shows the stem iron attached to the hull. It extends above the deck level to the area where the bow bullwark will be added. This will help strengthen the bullwark when it is in place. Also, the rubbing strake can be seen in this picture. It is made from bass wood strips which were treated with a boating product called Git Rot. It is a WEST System type product which seals the wood against water. The angles which support the rubbing strake can be seen above and below the wood. These are Plastruct angles that are super glued to the hull. The anchor pockets are cut and roughed in as well.
VGJQ

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 08:04:37 »
Coming along real nice :) :) :)

Keep up the good work!!!

How was your service from Hbr Models?
MIKE

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 08:17:22 »
I am really going to enjoy this build...The Foundation franklin is a beauty... :) :)
Barry

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 08:23:39 »
Thanks gentlemen. Just getting caught up to present now. I have been working on and mostly off for several years. Kinda left Karl at the alter after he made the hull for me. I have some more to add today and will post as milestones are reached.

Service from Harbor was great. Sent the stuff right away and easy to order from. Tried to order from Loyalhannah but had problems with the site so went to HM. That was several years ago though--sure to have changed by now. Stay tuned.
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 08:50:14 »
This pic shows the portholes added. What a pain to clamp a 5 foot hull to a drill press 26 times and make sure nothing moves. In the bow area the curve of the hull was such that it would not go in the drill press. The hand drill tended to 'walk' all about the shop so another fix was needed. I purchased 3 thick washers that had the proper inside diameter and soldered them together to make a jig. I clamped them in place and used it as a guide for the drill. Worked fairly well. The eyebrows over the portholes came from the local hardware store. I found them while looking for replacement faucet washers. When cut in half and sanded a little they worked well. The rubbing strake and the upper angle iron can also be seen in this photo.
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 08:52:40 »
Forgot to mention the doors for the ash shute in the middle of the picture. This was opened from inside by the line and ashes from the coal fired boilers were dumped over the side. While in heavy weather the ashes were piled in the alleyway because the doors couldn't be opened.
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 08:59:23 »
Deck beams added for the towing deck area in this pic. These are more for getting proper deck camber than strength. Cutting, sanding, checking, sanding, checking....
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 10:15:06 »
A little large for cereal boxes so I went with project cardboard for the towing deck template. About a dollar at the local art supply. I traced the deck outline from the plans and transferred to the cardboard. After cutting and several trimmings I had a good fit. The inside of the bullwarks have been filled with green squadron putty, sanded smooth and painted.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 11:24:20 by Model Tug Man »
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 10:32:48 »
For those who are interested, below are pics of the Franklin when she arrived in Canada and the second pic is after she was modified at Halifax Shipyard. A striking difference to say the least--all business now.
VGJQ

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 14:37:35 »
I have a feeling this is going to be a fantastic model  :) Really looking forward to seeing the progress  ;) ;)

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 03:01:30 »
Thanks Dan. Always appreciate encouraging words.
VGJQ

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 21:50:52 »
You're a man of much talent there MTM!!

Please keep the pictures and info coming!! :) :) :)

...Cheers...
MIKE