Author Topic: Foundation Franklin Build  (Read 62722 times)

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: Foundation Franklin Build
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 03:08:46 »
Thank you gentlemen for your support. Hope that all have an enjoyable weekend. As for me, I will be sanding my aft deck for a proper fit. Will probably have a fore arm like Popeye when all is done.
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 08:58:51 »
Was able to get the towing deck cut out and it is just sitting in the boat now. Have a few more detail parts to make for the hull then I can cut the wash ports and hawse holes. The original construction plans for HMS Frisky indicate doors on the wash ports and I am debating to install these on the model. A final bottom coat of Colonial Red satin finish and the water line can be scribed. I will go over the topsides with some 0000 steel wool and apply the satin black to the upper hull surfaces. Installation to the clear plastic porthole "glass" is next. Then it will be time to set some lead in her to get her down to her marks. Will use batteries for as much of the ballast as possible, however, the stuff going under the towing deck will probably have to be permanently mounted lead. Will need to purchase a FOGGY pretty soon.
VGJQ

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 21:46:10 »
Lookin' Real Fine!!!!!!!!!
MIKE

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 03:11:11 »
Thanks Tugs.
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 03:58:27 »
I have actually been doing some work on the Franklin lately and will post some new pictures after I get the waterline marked and some paint on the topsides of the hull. Recently completed are the blocks that guide the lifeboats over the rubbing strake, framing for the anchor pocket openings, finally made a work stand (display stand to be done later) and am finishing up the wash ports. Have the cap rail to add and will get her in the water to determine how much lead needs to go under the towing deck. She is going to be a heavy girl!!!!! Watch this space.
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2009, 04:37:43 »
So I felt that I was ready to paint my hull yesterday. The hawse pipes in the towing deck bullwarks are in after an abortive start. I was following the plan and things just didn't look right so I got out the pictures and the original plating diagram and guess what--way too big. The model construction plan has several deficiencies and I failed to note this one until I had 4 too large holes in the side. Time for some filling and sanding. The second round looks much better and closer to what is seen in the pictures. The wash ports are in and framed on the outside. I taped the waterline with black PVC electrician's tape which always gives a nice edge followed up with the usual blue masking tape and newspaper. To start with I flipped the hull upside down so I could get under the counter and rub rail easily. So far so good. After waiting the appropriate time I turned her over and had a go at the upper hull. Things were going well and I was finishing up when the nozzle clogged up and oh what a mess that made. So I will be sanding for some time in the future and spraying again before doing much else. I have attached two pictures, however, they don't show the paint problem very well. Until next time.....
VGJQ

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 07:26:06 »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  don't ya just hate it when that happens >:(
MIKE

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2009, 05:51:50 »
So here I am all depressed about my paint problems and I remember another member talking about working on another part of his model when he got tired of his current focus. Since the radio shack is fairly small and should be an easy project I elected to follow his advice and build that while the messed up paint on my hull cures so that I can start sanding. I reviewed the plans and compared them to the pictures that are available. Don't want holes that are too big again. I also had a description of a small deck house in a book, A SHIP MODELMAKER'S MANUAL, and will incorporate some details from that in my radio shack.
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2009, 06:05:53 »
Measured and cut the 4 sides, 2 long and 2 short, and some good old Plastruct angle to gussett the inside. Then started gluing. Prefer the Testers plastic glue for this as it makes a very strong joint. My angle jig was perfect for holding the parts in place until the glue set up.
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2009, 06:32:13 »
Here are the sides all glued together and awaiting the roof. I will cut a plastic sub-deck and lay wood strips over that. The portholes and door will follow. Also, here are some shots of the Franklin for reference.
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 06:40:05 »
Had some trouble posting so the pics are a little mixed up--but here are the last ones.
VGJQ

Franklin

• There's nothing like a Double Rum!!!
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2009, 14:35:43 »
TM, You are doing an excellent Job!!!!!.

Looking forward to seeing her completed.

Lee

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2009, 04:26:24 »
Ahhh, So you are still here. Great to hear from you and thanks for your kind words. I was just showing a picture of your forward winch and deck to a friend who is going to cut some planking for me. He was quite impressed with your work. How are you doing and how is your Franklin?

What a great way to start the day off.
VGJQ

Franklin

• There's nothing like a Double Rum!!!
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2009, 15:39:05 »
TM, I haven't touched the Tug for a few months, but will have to start again with winter coming.

It's a lot less work watching you build!!!

Lee

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009, 04:19:50 »
You can watch me sand the botched up black paint off my hull--clogged nozzle in the sprayer. Oh well. Keeps me off the street and out of trouble. Off the street anyway. Hope you start a build thread when you pick it up again. It would be good to compare notes.

By the way--how do you access the forward part of your interrior? I am thinking of making the upper deck removable but will have to deal with the rigging however it is done.

TM
VGJQ