Author Topic: Foundation Franklin Build  (Read 62721 times)

Franklin

• There's nothing like a Double Rum!!!
Foundation Franklin Build - Forward Interior Access
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2009, 14:26:13 »
Hello TM, The only access to the Tugs interior forward of the bridge is through the forward hold Hatch Cover. The opening is about 2 1/2" by 3". To add ballast through the Hatch i have Zip lock bags filled with Lead Shot that i lower to the hull bottom.They seem to stay put in rough weather as the bags settle nicely between the frames. In building the tug i wanted to keep her water tight so as a result the only deck access  to the interior is the forward hatch, Engineroom skylight Hatch, rear Salvage Hold.I made the prop shaft as short as possible so that the motor is located directly below the rear Salvage Hatch opening.Battery access is through the Engine Room Skylight.
I also made the grating removable to have access to the steering gear.
All hatches are mounted on comings about 1/4" above deck level to prevent water from coming in.

Talk to you soon

Lee
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 07:28:16 by Franklin »

Franklin

Franklin Deck access layout
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2009, 07:25:51 »
TM, Have attached a few photos to give you a ldea how i have access to the interior.

Lee

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: Foundation Franklin Build
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2009, 09:25:26 »
Thanks Lee. I remember the pics you sent of the engine room skylight you made--really nice. I would like to have more room to work on the inside if possible. I was considering getting a Foggy and plumbing it for both smokestacks so that will require more access than the hatches, etc will allow. Was thinking of being able to pull the entire upper deck. Dealing with the rigging is what is giving me heartburn. I had a suggestion from a friend that I should use elastic thread and that may be a good way to disconnect things but keep them tensioned while in place. Once I get the paint mess cleaned up and get her re-sprayed I will get her in the water and see just how much lead it is going to take to set her on her marks. I will probably mount the lead in her stern permanently under the towing deck with a couple of batteries in front of the motor. Let the sanding begin.
VGJQ

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2009, 09:52:09 »
Nice clean work there Lee!! :) :)

Suds
"Suds"

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2009, 04:23:44 »
Have actually been doing a little work although you wouldn't know it from my posts. I have an arm like Popeye after sanding my hull and still have more to do. Almost there then I can tape the waterline and try it again.

I have been doing a little work on the radio shack and it is coming along nicely. A friend had some oak and walnut laying around and he ripped some planks for my model which look great by the way. The portholes are in and the door frame is complete. I will add a handrail and a light in the near future.
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 04:51:20 »
A few more of the radio shack.
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2009, 04:54:25 »
Last ones.
VGJQ

Franklin

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2009, 14:56:41 »
Your doing a fine job TM!!, The "bolts" on the Port light look really authentic.

Lee

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 23:06:22 »
She is coming along beautifully.. :) :)
Barry

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2009, 03:48:21 »
Geat work there MTM  :) Are you confident about trying to spray again ? Did you workout how the spray gun got blocked and how to prevent it for the next attempt ?

Looking forward to seeing the results after the re-spray  :)

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2009, 04:42:10 »
Thanks gentlemen. You guys are alwasy so encouraging in your comments. It is appreciated.

Dan,

I have not finished sanding--yet. I thought of your rebuild project when I took the picture of the hull a few days ago. I think I will try a spray can and set up better lights so I don't keep spraying if jsomething goes wrong. Maybe a trip to the eye doctor for some new specs is in order as well.

Finished planking the radio shack roof last night and will be adding the hand rails and maybe a light by the door. There are no lights indicated on any of the plans, either model build, reconstruction or original and the photos I have are too distant to make out that level of detail. I may take some artistic license and place some deck lights by the doors on the main deck level of the bridge, the alley ways and the radio shack--decisions, decisions.
VGJQ

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2009, 05:03:29 »
I think I will try a spray can

I am sure you are aware that you will need to match the original type of paint to the one in a spray can, I learnt that the hardway when I built a pilot boat, I used one type of primer and a different type of gloss, well, what a reaction there was on the hull, bubbles, more bubbles and then the mixed paints started to eat into the abs hull  :(

It can workout more expensive using spray cans but there is no hassle of cleaning the spray gun etc  :) Over here in the UK, most of my spray paint comes from a car repair shop, 5 for a 500ml spray can, I think now I have nearly the entire range of colours they do, but the good thing is, no matter how small the part to be sprayed is, just shake the can for a few minutes then you are good to go  :) :)

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2009, 06:32:52 »
Good advice, Dan. It was just a run of the mill enamel which I should be able to pick up at Home Depot or the like. I used a satin/semi gloss finish which dulls down a little as time passes.
VGJQ

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2009, 07:24:01 »
Looking mighty fine there MTM :) :) :)

The past couple of years..I've grown fond of 'Tremclad' Red Oxide Primer for below the waterline, and Krylon 'fast dry' spray can paints for the rest.

Dry in about 15mins...and real good quality.

I find Krylon's Red Primer...a bit too 'brown' for anti-fouling.
MIKE

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2009, 08:28:10 »
Thanks Tugs. I will check that out. I have been using a Colonial Red for below the waterline and it seems to do the job well.
VGJQ