Author Topic: Foundation Franklin Build  (Read 56689 times)

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: Foundation Franklin Build
« Reply #330 on: December 15, 2014, 05:42:15 »
Able to show some progress for a change. Here are a few pics of the aerial and it's fittings:
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #331 on: December 15, 2014, 05:50:01 »
The insulators are painted plastic beads from the craft store. The McIntyre connectors are plastruct tube cut to size with a groove filed in to hold the small thread. The aerial "wires" are crochet yarn. The thread from the McIntyre connectors to the stress reliever on the back of the forward stack disconnects at the steam pressure pipe mount so the deck can be taken up for hull access. The spreader bars on the ends are made up of plastruct and links of jewelry chain. Am going to do a little varnishing next now that everything is glued down to the radio shack. Oh yeah, I need to clean up my shop, too!!! Until next time...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 07:48:01 by Model Tug Man »
VGJQ

fastfaz

« Reply #332 on: December 15, 2014, 06:45:17 »
Hi MTM,
     Yet more great work! your tug looks like museum standard to me and if she sails as good as she looks wow. Keep the pics coming.
       Cheers,
               Peter. :)
The photo is my Lowgarth Mountfleet models but my own design and build (the kit quality and fit was very poor) I scatch built the superstructure from photos of the Foylegarth and scaled it off the figures. Sails superbly.

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #333 on: December 15, 2014, 07:52:14 »
Thanks for the kind words, Peter. Been working on this one for quite a while and thoroughly enjoying it.

My next project will be the Foundation Lillian as I already have an ATA hull. The topsides were damaged by some contractors who were working on my house years ago so there will be a lot of stripping out to do first. Looking forward to that one. Not aware of any other models of her out there so this may be a first.
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #334 on: February 02, 2015, 06:12:25 »
The ladders accessing the bridge are finished. These needed to be scratch built as none of the ones commercially available had the proper angle. Using Plastruct strips I cut the peices to the proper length. I made a little spacer that gave the treads the proper angle and separation. The grab handles are brass wire mounted with a plastic palm and sprung into the bridge railing. Since the bridge assembly is removable I have not glued the ladders in. The grab rails hold them in with a slight tension and they are easy to remove when the time comes. The ladders are visible in the first picture of the 1:1 Franklin if it is enlarged enough. Have also varnished the roof of the radio shack, the cladding on the towing deck and the gratings on either side of the rudder quadrant housing. Still going on the stbd lifeboat.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 06:20:58 by Model Tug Man »
VGJQ

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #335 on: February 02, 2015, 14:01:00 »
Incredible workmanship!  Ever since I read the Grey Seas Under as a kid I have been intrigued with FF. Beautiful build!

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #336 on: February 03, 2015, 05:28:41 »
Thank you, sir. I read the book when I was in 7th grade and felt like my best friend had died at the end. Had always wanted to build a RC model of her and finally took the plunge. The members on the Forum really inspired and encouraged me to put forth the effort and do the best I could with the build. This is a good place to be.
VGJQ

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #337 on: February 03, 2015, 09:37:17 »
great build .   PUFFIN

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #338 on: December 04, 2015, 13:35:19 »
I have been somewhat delinquent in posting progress recently. So many other things to do and no time in which to do it. Last spring I completed the second lifeboat and installed it and the davits. Sometime later I began working on the stays for the main mast and on the starboard railings. See pictures, below. Have been working on the house since then hence no further progress. Will post any future progress in a more timely manner.
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #339 on: December 04, 2015, 13:36:20 »
Another pic
VGJQ

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #340 on: December 04, 2015, 14:47:41 »
Sure looks fine Mr. MTM :)
MIKE

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #341 on: December 04, 2015, 23:54:13 »
Beautifully work MTM. Nice to see you back,   Geo.
Tugs are for life      George B

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #342 on: December 05, 2015, 09:37:47 »
I will second that Geo glad to see you back MTM.
john b

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #343 on: December 07, 2015, 07:32:04 »
Thank you, gentlemen. My contract with the Government ended last spring so I guess I am retired now. Have been working on the house getting it ready to sell in the 2016 spring market. Have lost 22 lbs since I retired. No rest for the wicked I guess. Will be moving to Georgia when the house sells. We have a place on Lake Lanier so the trip to the 1:1 boat will be sortened from 2 hours to 2 minutes. Will be able to launch the model tugs from the dock which will be great, too. I will continue to watch the Tug Forum and post any progress of course. Happy Holidays to everyone and a safe and healthy New Year.
VGJQ

tug-arlyn-nelson

« Reply #344 on: December 07, 2015, 13:38:49 »
Good on ya!  Love to see FF in the water someday. Welcome to retirement!