Author Topic: electromagnets  (Read 2807 times)

camelonmariner

• Model Builder since 2001
electromagnets
« on: August 24, 2009, 09:44:12 »
Hi all

I am starting to build my Dumas kit American Beauty and contemplating electromagnet hook up for the barges. I already have a vac-u pusher and barges whch I am experimenting with. Vac-u tow has a magnetic hook up/release for their barges however I feel electromagnets may be better suited. Anyone tried this method and would like  to share please do.  I have tried a ferrus core with several windings and it works quite well on my work bench using my Spektrum Dx5 with the extra channel, and  one C cell battery, but has limited power.
All and any ideas would be welcome

Camelonmariner
Camelon Mariner

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
Re: electromagnets
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 13:55:22 »
I would be wary of using electromagnets, reason for saying this is, what happens when the power supply goes flat? do you risk loosing your tow?
its a gamble getting the windings and wire for the windings correct gauge to make a low as possible resistance ciol, that does not take too much power to fire up and run.
What you have to consider is how long does the main battery last in your boat? then calculate the amp/hr drain of the electro coil, to see what size battery you also then need to add to power the coupling, as Id not risk using same power source, or it could dramatically cut your sailing time too much.

maybe best to stick to a good old rope to hold everything together.

best of luck with whatever you decide to use, but please post some pics of your system for us to see.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.
[All messages sent using recycled electrons]

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 04:01:57 »
Since the coil would pose a significant drain on the batteries I would go with a servo operated pin to connect the barges to the tug: a low tech atb unit. Servos are running about $10 to $15 these days.
VGJQ

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Models and Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 13:11:11 »
I prefer to run  tows with no connection. That way I can catch and
release the barge as required to put it in the location I want.
It doesn't matter if it is end on, or broadside. My tug performs best
when free to "roll" the point of contact along the broad side of a
barge. That freedom to change the point of contact allows me to
turn the barge to port or starboard, and  even rotate the barge through
a narrow gate if necessary.

:)