Author Topic: Canada Dock  (Read 3852 times)

willowgarth

Canada Dock
« on: September 01, 2009, 13:27:13 »
Hi all,
Hope this painting is OK on this forum, after all there are 6 tugs in it!
 It is done in acrylics on board 16" x 12"
Cheers Fred
Fred, (I can't walk on water but I have staggered on whisky)

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
Re: Canada Dock
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 13:31:44 »
I've seen this painting before on the forum  :) :)

A great painting  ;)

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 13:41:25 »

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 14:03:40 »
Canada Dock. Oh what joyful memories...I did my BOT Lifeboatman's Certificate there - in December 1978. With a boatful of female stewardesses off the ferries. What can I say? I doubt my fingers thawed out for ages and as the ladies were, shall we say 'delicate' - the old Chief Mate in charge of the whole practical made us go round and round until we got it right to his satisfaction!

Launching a boat from davits ten times in one day made you absolutely sure you did not forget how to launch it (To one of the shivering girls he said....check the harbour safety pin is out, lassie - or you'll be going deep six wondering why the bloody boat wont launch!) as well as recovering it in the chop that was evident from the weather and the ships passing by.

Memories - and an excellent panting!

Jonty
“The good seaman weathers the storm he cannot avoid, and avoids the storm he cannot weather”

willowgarth

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 14:30:47 »
Thanks Dan and Jonty,
Sorry about repeating the post Dan, reckon the old memory is going.
Jonty, I remember the lifeboat school  and going into Canada 3 branch at a fair lick and suddenly being confronted by a lifeboat with the oars going in all directions like some demented spider. It was full astern and thank God the chief was not in his usual position, at the top of the engineroom ladder watching the world go by.
Cheers, Fred

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 21:41:46 »
Canada Dock. Oh what joyful memories...I did my BOT Lifeboatman's Certificate there - in December 1978. With a boatful of female stewardesses off the ferries. What can I say? I doubt my fingers thawed out for ages and as the ladies were, shall we say 'delicate' - the old Chief Mate in charge of the whole practical made us go round and round until we got it right to his satisfaction!

Launching a boat from davits ten times in one day made you absolutely sure you did not forget how to launch it (To one of the shivering girls he said....check the harbour safety pin is out, lassie - or you'll be going deep six wondering why the bloody boat wont launch!) as well as recovering it in the chop that was evident from the weather and the ships passing by.

Jonty

How things have changed  :o When I did my lifeboat ticket in 1995 we had the luxuary of hydraulic davits & warm insulated survival suits after the course we were taken to a pub for free drinks !

Regards, Dan.

Todd

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 03:00:44 »
Ah Fred...Have they built a new lock at Canada Dock ???
 As far as I can remember the shipping going to Canada Dock either entered through Sandon Basin or Langton Lock, on very rare occasions via Gladstone,Hornby Locks and Alexander Docks etc.etc.
Another point is all the dock/lock entrances on the Mersey were positioned so entering vessel going bow in would be head to the flood ie: the locks were in the North< South configuration with South (up river) being the entrance.

Sorry to pick holes Fred and I think you did a wonderful painting (even with artistic licence  ;)  ;)  ;) )

Jim
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 04:41:13 by Todd »
Capt Jim

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 09:01:42 »
Dan,

Yes, I did my helicopter and Sea Suirvival at Fleetwood many years later - in suits and in a warm swimming pool.

The davits they had at the old lifeboat school were proper gravity davits. Nothing better than tio wind them boats back up into the chocks, get them settled back with gripes and skates, then harbour safety pin, oars set and rudder unshipped - to be told 'Off yers go f'r a far an' a cuppa - be back in fifteen minutes be coz yers is all gonna do it again until we gets it right. Right?

I was lucky(?) doing it with stewardesses.......! I got a spare place as I was doing my EDH at the time! None of them invited me for a drink after either....!

Jonty
“The good seaman weathers the storm he cannot avoid, and avoids the storm he cannot weather”

willowgarth

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 11:29:36 »
Hi Todd,
The problem with you young fellers is that you don't remember the good old days.  Canada Basin and both Canada and the old Langton locks were demolished to make way for the new existing Langton lock.  The view was taken from an aerial photo taken in 1920 and it was the same when I started on tugs in 1947.  Had some fun and games on big tides there on the old steam tugs.
Regards,  Fred.

Todd

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 02:43:52 »
Hi Todd,
The problem with you young fellers is that you don't remember the good old days.  Canada Basin and both Canada and the old Langton locks were demolished to make way for the new existing Langton lock.  The view was taken from an aerial photo taken in 1920 and it was the same when I started on tugs in 1947.  Had some fun and games on big tides there on the old steam tugs.
Regards,  Fred.

OOOPPPs...Sorry Fred,
Thanks for putting me right, I didn't mean to upset you in any way, I seem to remember Langton Locks opening but didn't know what was there beforehand. The only locks on the 'Liverpool side' (that I remember)that ran opposite ie:north > south were at Garston and as you only went in there almost at high-water the tidal run was at it's minimum.
Once again Fred I apologise.

Jim

PS Thanks for classing me as a "young feller"  ;D   ;D   ;D.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 03:15:31 by Todd »
Capt Jim

willowgarth

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 08:28:48 »
To Todd.
Hi Jim,  Nothing to apologize for.  Thinking about it, there were a few dock entrances on the Liverpool side which did not run North and South, Heculaneum, Canning, Princes and Salisbury.  They were all open when I started, I'm not too sure about Salisbury though as I can't remember going through there.
Cheers Fred

Todd

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 10:52:29 »
To Todd.
Hi Jim,  Nothing to apologize for.  Thinking about it, there were a few dock entrances on the Liverpool side which did not run North and South, Heculaneum, Canning, Princes and Salisbury.  They were all open when I started, I'm not too sure about Salisbury though as I can't remember going through there.
Cheers Fred

Hi Fred, I was talking of the lock entrances, we used to use Herculaneum now and again when going for bunkers but like the others she was only opened near high water and once the tide turned they were inoperable until the next tide.

Jim
Capt Jim

willowgarth

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 12:29:25 »
To Todd.
Cheers Fred

Hi Fred, I was talking of the lock entrances, we used to use Herculaneum now and again when going for bunkers but like the others she was only opened near high water and once the tide turned they were inoperable until the next tide.

Jim
You're quite correct Jim, I should have realised that.
Cheers Fred