Author Topic: General III  (Read 3303 times)

Lighterman

• Site Supporter
  • where is the sound control on these overalls?
General III
« on: September 08, 2009, 02:35:07 »
posted some pictures over on the modelboat mayhem site so thought i would add them here as this site is more set on tug matters.

about 12 years ago i was working on a safety boat sitting under Hammersmith bridge and as there's not much to do unless someone falls off. So i set to and started to build a new model. i had got hold of some plans that came from a mate who got them from model maker magazine back in the 60's of a motor tug called the sandtex, she was part of the cement tug fleet BLUE CIRCLE on the river (mt cullamix et al) and as i had worked on her in one of her later guises as the general III i thought i would build her as the incarnation she had midway through her life mt VORTEX. well it was a long boring job so made best use of the time and she turned out ok. After sailing her for a year or so and at 1/24 scale she did rather take up a lot of space, so i was chatting to a mate at work and asked if his lad would like it after i had stripped her of motor and the like radio gear was very expensive back then!! he said yes so off it when to a new home, i now work with that 'lad!' who is taller than me and he asked if i could re motorise it as he wanted to take it out and play. So home she came and apart from being worn n bashed her hull was in fine shape. i build them to last.. the finish may leave a bit to be desired but by hell they are BUILT.
so here are a few pictures
and the details are 1/24th scale
plank on frame
glass and resin skin
plasticard casing
2 chanel radio
10:1 geared motor
all up weight 15 kg!
 i was so long on that job i managed to build another lighterage tug called the general VIII for my old apprentice chum which he still has, if i can get some pictures of her i will post them.

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
Re: General III
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 03:36:34 »
A lovely looking tug there Lightman  :) She looks lovely on the water, especially in the last photo.

Thanks for the information you have provided also the photos and looking forward to seeing more  ;)

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

Lighterman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 13:28:02 »
Thanks Dan.
i was pleased with the re-fit and when she gets rolling she even looks like the real thing the down by the head look and showing all her her belly, i'll have a search around and see i have any photos of  the real thing and post it

Lighterman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 13:37:50 »
this is the only one i could find in my files just after Thames and general lighterage was taken over by Cory and they painted the funnel in their colours

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 22:52:25 »
Hello Lighterman   here are a couple of her that I have found. :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 22:58:14 by model tugman »
Tugs are for life      George B

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 08:08:23 »
Great pics there guys!!!

Thanks for posting them :) :)
MIKE

Lighterman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 08:25:36 »
Hello Lighterman   here are a couple of her that I have found. :)
how you keeping mate'o?
 thanks for that tugman! bugger have noticed a few bits like the white band round the funnel and the tank on the casing..... oh well next time. think the lad i have repaired it for will be happy as it is:)

had another boat asked for from another one of the lads.. the merit... that should be a challenge finding her lines but will be in charlton tomorrow so will start my hunt then.

Lighterman

• Site Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 06:09:20 »
My mate I built it for sent me some pictures of it actually at work.