Author Topic: Paddle tug towing?  (Read 4211 times)

Eddy Matthews

• Paddleducks
Paddle tug towing?
« on: October 07, 2009, 12:42:28 »
Some of you will know I'm heavily into paddle ships, and run the Paddleducks website.... I've often wondered if anyone has actually used a paddle tug in tug towing competitions?

I've never seen one used, so I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has tried it, and see what the results were... Did it work okay, or was it a total waste of time?

I can see that a paddletug certainly won't have the biggest bollard pull, but it could have some advantages in maneouverability with independent paddles etc.

Regards
Eddy

CAJ

Re: Paddle tug towing?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 13:48:07 »
I had a director class that I used for a little bit. Was good fun!

Have spoken to someone who has some experiance of the real thing from his navy days and he spoke highly of them as tugs.

Chris
Follow my blog at www.channelimages.com

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 23:01:22 »
Some of you will know I'm heavily into paddle ships, and run the Paddleducks website.... I've often wondered if anyone has actually used a paddle tug in tug towing competitions?

I've never seen one used, so I'd be interested to hear from anyone that has tried it, and see what the results were... Did it work okay, or was it a total waste of time?

I can see that a paddletug certainly won't have the biggest bollard pull, but it could have some advantages in maneouverability with independent paddles etc.

Regards
Eddy  HI EDDY ; Don't under estimate the power of paddles vertical or horizontal . Next time you see a sternwheel paddle vessal look how quick they can stop . They have a lot of power in thoughs paddles . Those VOIT tractor tugs are mind boggling the power they have .
PUFFIN

Eddy Matthews

• Paddleducks
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 00:15:48 »
When I posted my message, I was actually thinking of a sidewheel tug, and for some reason a sternwheeler never entered my mind!

But now that you mention it Glen, it would probably be a good choice - TowboatJoe and Old River Bill in the USA have moved some truely massive barge tows with their models, so the power is obviously there!

Regards
Eddy

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 10:40:55 »
HI EDDY ; I was first mate on the sampson V that worked on the fraser river ,bc,canada .What craft to day can lift 20 tons and still only draw 3 feet of water. THEY did not have the speed but they did have power . PUFFIN

Eddy Matthews

• Paddleducks
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 10:49:38 »
Now how weird is that?

I was just looking at the Sampson V earlier today - I see she's now preserved as a floating museum: http://www.nwpl.ca/nwheritage.org/heritagesite/orgs/samson/index.htm

Regards
Eddy

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 12:17:01 »
Thats a very interesting link you have provided EDDY  :) Lots of information and photos which I will read indepth over the weekend  ;)

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !