Author Topic: Rebuilding The YORKSHIREMAN  (Read 51225 times)

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
Re: Rebuilding The YORKSHIREMAN
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 22:57:04 »
Cheers Mike & Barry  ;) I am not looking forward to doing the main superstructure as this is covered in thick gloss aswell so I will have to assess if it will be quicker and better to completely build a new one  :-\

I don't have enough styrene to do this so that would increase my current spend of 2.50  :-[

My plan is to spray her in the Viking livery like the VIKING ISLAY ;

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 09:01:06 »
Oh My :o :o :o

Thought you'd go Orange for sure ;D ;D ;D

...Cheers...
MIKE

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 12:10:17 »
Looking  great dan you have been busy :) :) :)

one impressed  John B ;)
john b

Kieran H

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 16:28:28 »
interesting looking overhaul you got goin there. cant wait for the finish.

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 22:27:43 »
Thanks guys for your kind comments  :)

Mike ; she was orange when I got it but as I am trying to rebuild her as cheaply as possibly (but to a good/high standard) I have plenty of cans of Black / Yellow & Green spray paint spare, also I like the colour scheme of the Viking ships  :) ;)

John ; It has been a busy few weeks, I have never done so much sanding on a hull before ! At times I was sweating like a Geordie at a spelling test  ;D ;D ;D

Kieran ; I can't wait for the finish either, the worst is yet to come - the superstructure  :-X

Regards, Dan.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 22:29:53 by sea.mariner »

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 22:52:46 »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( If I had of waited I could have just bought this with the cash from the orignal trawler I swapped  >:( >:( >:( >:(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YORKSHIREMAN-TUG_W0QQitemZ330370368684QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN?hash=item4ceb9bc4ac

Still, I am enjoying what I am doing  :)

Regards, Dan.

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 06:51:34 »
Dan,

You are doing a great job and we are gaining from your experience. Keep up the good work and keep those pictures coming. I think the black and yellow will look great.

TM
VGJQ

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 01:18:16 »
Cheers MTM, I got a few detailing bits done yesterday but not a great deal, I will be filling the few indents that need filling today and hopefully one more thin coat of primer will show no defects, then over the weekend I am hopeing to have alot more sprayed, unfortunately the weather is not good here but I have all my heaters on standby to bring the workshop up to painting tempreature  :)

Hopefully more photos over the weekend  ;)

Regards, Dan.

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 04:10:15 »
Hi Dan,

I'm afraid the weather trend will continue it's downward spiral. Oh dear. It is "that" time of year, you know.

Hang in there, there never seems to be an end to the spraying of one thing or another--oh well. How will you be masking the hull for the yellow and black design (more spraying)? Will you be using tape or another method? Also, do you spray the inside of your hulls? I have seen some that do and some that don't. I never have on my three tugs and always wondered why it is done.

By the way, as I am working on my Franklin (more pictures in a while) I will be restoring my ex Navy ATA tug which is fiber glass. Do you know of a method of removing CA (Super Glue) from gelcoat without causing damage? I have tried scraping it off with my X-acto knife but hesitate to use solvents. There is detail molded into the deck that I don't want to loose.

Regards,

TM
VGJQ

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2009, 04:26:04 »
Hi MTM, As for spraying my hull, my plan is to use white primer where the yellow stripes will be but not using any tape, firstly because this causes a 'build up' of paint and secondly the black topcoat will cover any colour primer  :) Once the white primer has gone off I will then spray the red anti-fouling again using no tape. After this I will spray the yellow stripes only using masking tape where it will meet the red oxide, finally for the black I will mask off everything then in theory there will be no defined build up of paint at any given point  ;) Does this make sense ?

As for the inside of the hull, normally what I do is just use a basic satin/matt paint (household stuff) brushed on just to make the appearence much better and cleaner. I have found that using a satin / matt paint allows you to identify any leaks there might be as the pond water tends to stain it rather than using gloss as the water just runs of it.

Now then for Superglue on a fibreglass hull mmmmm I have never has that problem before although a very fine wet & dry paper should do the trick but if it is awkward corners then I am not sure, but I know a man that will  :) I will email him and find out.

Regards, Dan.

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2009, 08:24:08 »
Thanks Dan. I have some raised plating margins on the deck that I would like to retain. Good luck with the spray job.

Like your signature phrase too.
VGJQ

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 11:21:46 »
Like your signature phrase too.

I don't think HE has seen it yet  ;D ;D

Again not much done today, just cleaned up some of the fittings, sprayed with primer and sprayed with gloss, unfortunately the light isn't that good for the camera.

Regards, Dan.

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 12:43:53 »
Coming along nicely there Dan..... :) :)

Oh by the way............another yellow is on it's way!! ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o
Barry

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 12:49:38 »
I thought you might like my signature  :o

If there was a competition of the most yellow cards awarded then it WOULD be me - but only awarded with a good sense of humour  :) :)

As for the Yorkie, yes she is coming along well, unfortunatley I didn't realise that the fairings for the prop shafts were vac formed and I have found a large weakness in the port side so tomorrow maybe removing the whole lot or repairing it ? I will see what the daylight brings tomorrow  :)

Regards, Dan.

ray28507

• Admiral Poster
  • shuswap
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 22:04:14 »
hi dan   your getting there  :D

are you going to keep her in orignal  united towing colour's or are you doing you own 'colours' 

i to  had a yorkshireman  (sold it 2001)  i had 2 car fan motors in mine  it was like a roket ship :D  good tow boat thow! :)  regards ray
B.C tugs >>  ken mackenzie~07   nellie irene~07    freewinds ~04       sidewinder'in b.c~11'   iron horse~12  malley b~16  western mariner ~14  shuswap ~17
  u.s.a tugs> >  nanuq~11  in the build  hunter  - david j