Author Topic: Cedartree Boatworks-Springer build  (Read 23282 times)

Cedartree

Cedartree Boatworks-Springer build
« on: November 03, 2009, 23:45:43 »
OK, here goes. One afternoon whilst cruising rcgroups.com (c'mon it was before I found out about this site), and dreaming about building an RC boat from scratch   I was looking at pics and saw this little gem, and thought that I would be able to build it.  What cemented the decision was my 5 yr old son looking over my shoulder at that precise moment, and asking "Dad can we build that?" The rest is history. Found the link to a set of Springer plans and had a friend print them out full size. Transferred and cut out enough parts to build two basic decked hulls. The original intent was to do two at once but after an expensive trip to the not-so-local hobby shop (Burnaby Hobbies, great guy), the decision was made to complete one, then the other at a date TBA. Hull #2 currently is done to the stage where it can hold its own parts.  Didn't take any pics of the initial construction but there are many examples of that elsewhere on this site and others.

The first three pics

Here's the bottom glued and clamped on. First time I've done something this and it got me thinking about a hard chine sailboat hull design...hmmm.

Just a basic layout shot. fairly far along in the construction, but no motor mounts yet, hadn't glue the prop shaft into the keel yet. Note bouyancy chamber and material in the bow will carry the weight of the batteries and electronics should the unthinkable happen. The wood should keep it bouyancy positive.

The rudder. 2X2" square, 5/32" shaft I think. Had my jeweller friend silver solder it together.     

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 00:02:30 by Cedartree »
All electrical devices run on smoke. If the smoke gets out, you're pooched!

Cedartree

Re: Cedartree Boatworks-Springer build
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 00:37:34 »
OK the first post worked, time to find out if it was beginners luck...

The boy removing the initial hatch cutout, I really need to get another hobby saw.
He is continuously asking for "boat jobs" and he's learning how to use a scroll saw and a whole lot of other tools I didn't know anything about at his age. He's pretty excited as it is really starting to look like something now.

Layout of the steering gear, hope my servo is going to do the job and the ball/socket linkage is solid enough for the application.  

Stern view, everything fitted but not glued yet.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 00:41:55 by Cedartree »

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 00:43:28 »
An excellent quality build.....I am quite jealous of you having a little helper.....Most of us get earache from SWHMBO when we disappear into the workroom.. :) ;D
Barry

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 00:48:07 »
I'll second that Footski  :) Maybe thats why the little helper is wearing ear-defenders - so he can't hear his mum shouting  ;D ;D ;D

A great build so far  :) Looking forward to seeing more progress  ;)

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

Cedartree

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 00:52:43 »
Obviously things are a little out of sequence, but you get the idea. After everything was glued in, I coated the insides with fiberglass resin and sealed that with a couple of coats of polyurethane varnish.

Once the deck was glued on, and the hatches cut out, the coaming had to be installed. Tricky getting everything square there and I might try building it as an assembly then gluing it to the deck next time around.
Thus far the plan is to seal the lazarette hatch with a wood plate that will incorporate a tow bit, not quite sure about sealing it to the deck but I have a couple of ideas.  
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 00:55:16 by Cedartree »

Cedartree

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 01:09:21 »
Thanks for the kind words, gents, this has been fun to share.

Tomorrow we start work on the wheelhouse, not sure about what things will look like, but it has to be something that is "his", so who knows, all I can do is show him pics and see what he likes.

This has been a great bit of fun so far. I can hardly wait to get her in the water. Apparently she may need a bit of ballast in the stern based on the stories of other builds. I'll check that once the hull is glassed and sealed.

Hull #2 may start life as a barge! Then we'll have something to push around.

Thanks Footski, for the tutorial on posting pics, worked good.

The boy puts hearing and eye protection on when required, and the shop is about 20 feet from the house so she really has to shout.

We'll keep you posted... 

Cedartree

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 01:32:25 »
Here's some doodles of a wheelhouse I did on the scrap paper protecting the bench left over from when the wife was painting. The first one shows eveything, the second ones are close-ups of his copies of my sketches, pretty cool to see. He saw them, dragged his stool over to the table and just started drawing...  
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 01:34:20 by Cedartree »

TugMaster

• Administrator
  • Admiral Poster
  • Welcome Aboard !
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 02:36:20 »
Great buildup report and pics Cedartree....what a superb way to start on the Tugforum !

Hopefully my mate and forum member/moderator Tango will see this build up ....he's scratch built many springers.

Cheers

TugMaster
Ok, so I like a drop !

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 13:29:55 »
 I WILL SECOND THAT ,great build Cedartree.
Keep pictures comming  :) :)
Regards John B
john b

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 21:53:55 »
Great job there - look forward to seeing the next stage -

Cedartree

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 00:46:42 »
Thanks for the positive encouragement. Showed the boy this post and he recognized his Springer right away. Cool, as we can send links to the relatives showing what we are up to now that the rainy season has set in here.

I plan to install LED nav lights powered by a 9V battery, and am in the process of determining the correct resistors to use for the individual LEDs, could someone clarify color number and color of lights for various situations and where they would be located?   eg. barge(s), boom(s)  etc. The conventional nav lights (port/starboard/stern) are familiar to me, but not so much the tug-specific lights. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 00:54:31 by Cedartree »

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 00:50:04 »
pm sent  ;)
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 09:12:52 »
Very nice work there Cedartree :) :)

Just the kinda build thread we all love to see and read here 8) 8)
MIKE

Kieran H

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 08:07:29 »
fun lookin tug youve built.

Cedartree

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 04:35:40 »
Just now getting over a nasty head cold, didn't miss work but sure was under the weather, so no boatwork except planning.