Author Topic: Cedartree Boatworks-Springer build  (Read 24244 times)

Kieran H

• Admiral Poster
Re: Cedartree Boatworks-Springer build
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2009, 16:27:17 »
you read my mind dan!

Cedartree

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2009, 21:17:44 »
Yes, gents, work has been progressing slowly, mostly due to the holidays, but also due to boatminding a couple of sailboats down at the marina. One is my Dad's, and we've been staying aboard for several overnighters. So less time at home and therefore, in the shop on the Springer. Wheelhouse is being painted and I've made a few detail parts, like grabrails, radar dome, life-ring, nav light mounts, and working engine vents (so far) .  She's looking good! :)  Thanks for the nudge... NEW PICS FINALLY ADDED

A friend who also is into RC gave me some neat detail items for Christmas/Birthday, note the horn, bollards, and there are some tiny hinges for the doors and hatches as well as some tow rope.   
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 12:21:04 by Cedartree »
All electrical devices run on smoke. If the smoke gets out, you're pooched!

Cedartree

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 17:01:06 »
Just a little bump to let you know there are some new pics of the Springer! Getting closer now.

Cedartree

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2010, 16:00:11 »
Finally took the plunge and fibreglassed the bottom and sides of my hull today. First attempt at this sort of thing and there are a few things that would be done differently next time. Actually things went surprisingly well, the only thing is that I will have to sand some runs off the sides, but that was because I painted on some resin after it had begun to set up and it didn't flow like I hoped it would. Oh well, next time will be better.   

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 12:35:31 »
Lookin' real fine!!!
Nothing a few sheets of sandpaper won't fix...those 'run's in the resin, I mean :) :)

PS. Did you get that crazy windstorm up there, like we did here on the S.Island??
Hydro was out for 8hrs here :o

...Cheers...
MIKE

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 13:37:28 »
Looking good Cedartree  :) Like Mike says, nothing a few sheets of sandpaper won't sort out  ;) Will you be spray painting or brush painting the Springer ?

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

Cedartree

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 17:27:48 »
Thanks for the tips, guys. Sanding should get the worst of it off. I should have known better, as the same thing happened when I resined the inside, but it doesn't show in there... Thank pete I have a good sander.

The wind? yes we got a bit of a storm blowing through, not much to report, some other communities lost power for a few hours on Friday, I think, but we were OK here for whatever reason.

The plan is to spray paint the hull, but that could change. The boy picked out a nice shade of blue, and I'll just have to try it out. I want it to be thick and durable. I have a rattle can of rusty red for the antifouling paint. 

Kieran H

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2010, 17:35:58 »
Lookin' real fine!!!
Nothing a few sheets of sandpaper won't fix...those 'run's in the resin, I mean :) :)

PS. Did you get that crazy windstorm up there, like we did here on the S.Island??
Hydro was out for 8hrs here :o

...Cheers...
it was insane lost our dinghy to it. i woke up at 4am to go check and tie it up and then this afternoon it was gone ?

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2010, 05:04:40 »
Good progress Cedartree. Looking forward to the paint.
VGJQ

Cedartree

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2010, 02:00:23 »
Finished glassing the topsides over the weekend and took the Springer to the local Auto Body Collision Repair place, owned by my neighbor. She will get a coat of epoxy paint, then a coat of high-solids primer. A few people saw it, and they all asked what color it will be painted. I will finish the painting in my workshop. Weather report was good so we got out on my Dad's sailboat, but the weather forecast was soon changed to SE hurricane force winds. So we did a day trip to Beaver Harbour instead, anchored up, and went ashore for some exploring. Came back to the marina that evening and spent a sleepless night listening to the wind howling in the rigging, with the boat getting pushed around on the lines.

Here's a few pics of the weekend adventure. Second and third pics taken at: N 50 deg 42 min 39.5 sec, W 127 deg 24 min 31.6 sec for you Google Earth types.    

1. Getting the last line untied. Its good to have a capable deckhand. He had a little stuffed penguin stuffed inside his floater coat, and it fell overboard while we were underway, forcing an unplanned MOB (or should I say POB?) drill. ;D

2. The Synchronicity 1, a Mercator Offshore 30. Quite seaworthy.

3. The shore party on the way to Cattle Island in search of a new conquest. Note the ships dog, Ella (who really, REALLY had to pee by this time)  

Not exactly tug related, but definitely nautical!

Enjoy

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 02:21:53 by Cedartree »

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2010, 06:16:07 »
No rain!
Looks like a good day on the water.

Cedartree

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2010, 13:00:14 »
Yes, it was a good day, sunny patches and some blue sky. Maybe next time we'll actually get to put the rags up. :(

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2010, 14:34:40 »
If you don't have enough wind to 'put the rags up' surely there is a tug nearby to give you a tow  ;D ;D ;D

Regards, Dan.

ps, should it happen, don't forget the photos  ;) ;) ;) ;)
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

Kieran H

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2010, 19:00:41 »
nice sailboat cedar tree. ive got a J24. ;)

Cedartree

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2010, 17:28:02 »
J24, eh? Great boats from all I've heard, lucky you. Do you get to sail her much?

Got the epoxy primer and high-solids primer on, used spot putty on a few divots and bubbles in the resin. Its mostly flat primer grey with some hospital green patches here and there. It looks terrible, but should be pretty good after its last coat of primer. Getting excited about painting!