Author Topic: Cedartree Boatworks-Springer build  (Read 24249 times)

Kieran H

• Admiral Poster
Re: Cedartree Boatworks-Springer build
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2010, 20:56:34 »
J24, eh? Great boats from all I've heard, lucky you. Do you get to sail her much?

Got the epoxy primer and high-solids primer on, used spot putty on a few divots and bubbles in the resin. Its mostly flat primer grey with some hospital green patches here and there. It looks terrible, but should be pretty good after its last coat of primer. Getting excited about painting!
all the time. j 24 are the most succsessful keel boat in the planet with over 5000 boats built! we live on ocean frount so its a 200 ft paddle away but next week well get our dock finally!! the barge with our pilings is sitting out side our house. im planning to post some pics of the barge tommorow.

Cedartree

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2010, 00:26:33 »
Yes!!!

Got the LED nav lights sorted, "copper" paint on and the wheelhouse pretty close to done. Still need to fasten the bulwarks to the deck and do some more painting and odd jobs on deck, but its starting to look a lot like a tug.

Also started making a barge to tow or push around.
All electrical devices run on smoke. If the smoke gets out, you're pooched!

Kieran H

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2010, 16:44:35 »
great job on your springer there cedar tree. shes a nice looking springer. cant wait to see some sea trial pics. :D

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2010, 18:53:04 »
Yes...you sure are doing a great job there Cedartree :) :) :) :)

Will she be ready for our Maple Bay Regatta, May L/weekend???

...Cheers...
MIKE

Cedartree

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2010, 22:49:15 »
Thanks for the compliments, There are a few things that will be done differently next one, lighter on the wood, probably only one layer of fibreglas cloth instead of two, etc.
She's really starting to come together now. Since starting this build there have been a lot of lessons along the way. And surely more to come. As a kid I scratch built static model boats for my Grandfather and my Uncle, from wood scraps in my Dads' workshop. Always dreamed of having an RC one. Now my son will be able to enjoy using this one and maybe build some by himself later on. Grew up helping Dad build his sailboat in ferro-cement, from the plans, so boat building on a few scales was a part of growing up, also saw a few good size westcoast trollers get built from a half-model. I'm thinking about the next build already.   

Cedartree

« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2010, 23:40:35 »
Yes...you sure are doing a great job there Cedartree :) :) :) :)

Will she be ready for our Maple Bay Regatta, May L/weekend???

...Cheers...

The jury is still out on this one. Its a long way to go, but maybe I can make it a father-son getaway weekend. What kind of stuff goes on at these Regattas, never been to one. Would my boy have fun there?

Cedartree

Launch at last...
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2010, 21:29:03 »
Well the great day finally arrived. Painted, assembled (mostly) and ready for sea (river actually) trials. Did a bunch of last minute stuff this AM to get her shipshape, well almost all the last minute stuff got done :-[ Next time i will charge the batteries BEFORE the launch... ;D

Floats a touch below my waterline but there will be a white boot line there as soon as my body shop friend comes through with some vinyl stripe for me. Also still needs some deck detail and the handrails aren't on yet. Still trying to decide if the radome will be mounted or not, don't want it to look to cluttered up there, and still have to install a VHF antenna or two as well.   

Performance was surprising. Speed was a fast walking pace, almost a jog. Glad for the bulwarks or the forward deck would definitely be awash while at ramming speed. Big bow wash comes about halfway up the bulwarks and thats on a calm river pool, might come right over with some wave action in the ocean. The thing rolls like a boom boat and turns like a dog chasing its tail, just really cool. Was a bit alarmed :o when the boy pegged the throttle stick at WOT and began swinging the helm to the stops in both directions, but by the look of it the weight is low enough that it just rolls to a point then comes back. Quite a bit of prop walk in reverse but I sort of expected that due to the pitch of the prop. Wouldn't track straight when we let go of the rudder, but soon found out the trim slider on the Tx was all the way to port. Centered the slider and the thing tracks true, pretty neat for an eyeball setup on the bench. The ESC is more for cars, so there is a slight delay from ahead to astern, but not unmanageable.

After about half an hour of shared stick time, not a drop of water in the boat, the motor was warm and the ESC was lukewarm. for a good bit of that time one side of the deck or the other was awash, too. :D 

Thanks to all for your advice, support and encouragement. Even though this a relatively simple design, it takes a lot of time to get it done your first time out,  and being on this site and reading about other guys doing the same sorts of things helped keep our eyes on the prize. The boy is in Kindergarden this year, and will take it to show and tell. Now he wants us to get going on the barge.

These pics are from the sea trials, keep in mind that some detail work is yet to be done, just couldn't waste a beautiful winter day inside when we were so close to finished. Enjoy.

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2010, 23:15:14 »
Congratulations!
Glad to hear you both had a successful launch and it looks like it was a great start. We've all had low batteries, left the connectors at home, all part of the fun.

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2010, 20:43:43 »
Congrats Cedartree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Maple Bay Regatta would be a great venue for you and your son to attend, as it's very family orientated...just ask Kieran!!
"Suds"

Kieran H

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2010, 15:14:56 »
Congrats Cedartree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Maple Bay Regatta would be a great venue for you and your son to attend, as it's very family orientated...just ask Kieran!!
thats very true. ive got a mob of brothers who come each year.theres only one brother that i have a problem who ran his dam bike into ones of the tables. angry angry  

great looking colors cedartree. like the lite blue. ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 15:19:03 by Kieran H »

Cedartree

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2010, 10:58:18 »
Yeah, we like the colors, too. Brennan picked them out from the hardware store paint shelf. After the fact we realized it looks a bit like the "Thomas the Tank Engine" paint job. Wasn't planned that way, just happened and we like it. Have had a few more runs since then and all is well, still haven't hit the salt water yet, I am a bit reluctant.
No progress on the barge, soccer season is here and I am coaching my son's team, so with practices and games, not much free time for building. Looks like building is more of a fall/winter thing.

Cedartree

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2010, 11:59:02 »
Finally tried the "BRENNAN" out in the ocean, after several dry river sessions. It was a bit rough, and yes I did play in the surf a little, but didn't get any of that footage. She stayed bone dry inside.

Not sure how to embed the youtube video, I would put it on here if that is possible on this site, so here is the link:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yC5rA1ATo0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yC5rA1ATo0</a>

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 12:13:42 by tugs53 »

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2010, 12:15:59 »
I embeded the vid for ya' :) :)

First Class Video cool cool cool cool

...Cheers...
MIKE

Cedartree

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2010, 13:40:22 »
Thanks mike, I appreciate it. :) There will be some other videos in the future.