Author Topic: Duna Tug  (Read 3722 times)

Garth

Duna Tug
« on: November 17, 2009, 16:38:38 »
Most of my post have been The Sequin It's not my only model tug The real Duna was Built in 1915 mine is a 1/40 scale model It was a static model converted to R/C electric She sailed the Danube in early 20th century and operated on a daily basis except in winter due to ice on the river The original ships had an alternative engine of triple firing and use fuel-oil with top speed of 17 knots and 250H.P. Now for the 24 thousand dollar Question Whats the cage for at the bow and No I can't pay you if any one Knows Her length is 71cm.-28. in Height 37cm.-15in. Width 15cm.-6in. single prop electric P/S I think I know but I ain't telling
Garth Parrish

Todd

• Admiral Poster
Re: Duna Tug
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 02:32:56 »
Garth.
The only thing I can think of is a cool store for provisions as the rest of the boat would be quite hot with the boiler being where it is.
I remember in the days before electric and fridges we had a box of wood and perforated zinc in the open air in which all items that needed to be kept cool were kept. The perforated zinc allowed the air to circulate and kept the flies/bugs out and hanging it there the the rodent vermin..at least that was the theory. Zinc being used because of its resistance to oxidization.
I believe we used to call it the 'Cold Press'.
I am probably wrong but that is my best guess.   :(  :o

Jim
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:17:35 by Todd »
Capt Jim

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 09:47:44 »
Hmmmm....good question!!!
MIKE

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 10:21:03 »
Maybe a shark cage. Lots of sharks on the Danube you know. ;D ;D ;D ;D
VGJQ

Kieran H

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 15:29:31 »
cool looking steam tug.

Garth

Re: Duna Tug answer
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 14:21:30 »
I met a older fellow this summer while I was sailing the tug at Spencer Park we're we sail He told me that as a young boy he remembered with fondness his mother taking him for ice-cream near the Danube and seeing these tugs. He said the crew stored dried meat and sausages in that cage they would sell the goods at different ports all along the river So Todd your not far off. That story made me feel pretty good and it made that gentleman remember a pleasant memory of this past Thats why our hobby is so neat People enjoy seeing our models a lot. respect the work that goes into them ,ask lots of questions Young and old like seeing our boats So fellows Keep building and sailing
Garth Parrish