Author Topic: V-4 tugs at Normandy  (Read 11897 times)

JEno

V-4 tugs at Normandy
« on: November 23, 2009, 05:48:24 »
V-4 tugs were built by the Maritime Commission in the U.S. ( it also built Liberty's, Victory's, and numerous other types of vessels) At the time V-4 were one of, if not, the largest tugs in the world and I believe the first built using a Kort nozzle.Unfortunately they were not commercially successful due to their large manning requirements. ::) I am looking for pictures( they are like hen's teeth) of V-4's. Quite a few took part in the Normandy invasion, towing Mulberrys fro England to France.
 Does anyone have have any pictures or information on these beasts?
Thanks
Jonathan

willowgarth

Re: V-4 tugs at Normandy
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 06:08:33 »
Hi Jonathan, It may be helpful if you had some ships names or pennant numbers. A good site to visit would be the Thames Tugs site, I haven't got the URL but if you Google Thames tugs you should find it.  Cheers, Fred
Fred, (I can't walk on water but I have staggered on whisky)

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 07:56:39 »
Jonathan:

Welcome aboard the best tug and model tug forum around!!

I'm confident that there are members here that can help you with your request.

Also, please add your location to your profile so that we all know where you are :) :) :)

...Cheers...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 07:58:51 by tugs53 »
MIKE

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 12:50:59 »
Jonathan,

Welcome to the Forum. This link is only a list, however, it will give you the final disposition of a few of the V-4s. Also, there is a good picture of a V-4 in Peter Specter's book On The Hawser. An excellent book for any tug nut. I am posting a photo which I got from the Internet which you probably have. I can scan the pic from On The Hawser and post if you don't have a copy. The book is out of print but available second hand.
VGJQ

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 12:51:57 »
VGJQ

tug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 03:24:49 »

Here is a list of the ten V4 tugs that I believe came across to europe aound D-day.
It would appear that due to a shortage of tugs, not only around d-day, but in fact right through WW2, strings were probably pulled to use these as a last minute stop-gap by Ed Moran, a member of the Moran family of US towing note. He was by this time in charge of COTUG, and the vessels were under the management of Moran, New York. All this is detailed on the Thames Tugs site. Thames Tugs however only lists those which have so far been found to have actually been involved in towing mulberry units. Not all the tugs made it across the pond by D-Day but the later arrivals were to carry out valuable salvage work off the beaches in the weeks following the invasion. I believe most were named after US lighthouses.
   BLACK ROCK [Moran V4]
   BODIE ISLAND [Moran V4]
   FARALLON [Moran V4]
   GAY HEAD [Moran V4]
   GREAT ISAAC [Moran V4]
   HILLSBORO INLET [Moran V4]
   MOOSE PEAK [Moran V4]
   SABINE PASS [Moran V4]
   SANKATY HEAD [Moran V4]
   TRINITY HEAD [Moran V4]

Hope this helps
regards
TUG
Tugmen have bigger bitts

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 04:13:08 »
Jonathan,

Here is the picture as promised. It is not a great pic but hopefully of help.

TM
VGJQ

JEno

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 13:23:07 »
Gentlemen,
Thank You all for your replies. Much of what has been posted I had seen. Unfortunately these tugs were not very well documented. I have built a 1/48 model based on the picture of the Point Judith in the book On The Hawser, but I see several variations between boats that I would like to clear up.
Cheers
Jonathan

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 13:27:29 »
I have built a 1/48 model based on the picture of the Point Judith in the book On The Hawser
Cheers
Jonathan

Welcome to the forum Jonathon, we are all here to help and we especially like to see photos of models  :) Any chance of a few (or more) photos of your 1/48 model please  ;) ;) ;)

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

JEno

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 07:35:26 »
Hi Gents,
 Again, Thank You all for your comments. Attached is a photo of the Point Judith around 95% complete. I may change her paint scheme, and whale boat are yet to be built.
Cheers
Jonthan

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 07:54:50 »
Grand looking model there Jonathan :) :) :) :)

What are the specs??

...Cheers...
MIKE

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 08:34:10 »
Nice job Jonathan. Got any pics of her in the water?
VGJQ

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 08:40:15 »
looking good   be nice to see her working ,  did you manage to get any drawings for her?
Tugs are for life      George B

JEno

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 10:53:11 »
Thanks for the comments. Yes I have some photos of her in the water, somewhere, I have to find them. A full set of plans are available from the National Archives here in the US. I have copies, but I find that much specific detail is drawn as generic items. I think this is because some equipment came from whatever supplier could make it available at the time. The basic hull and structures are all the same. One thing I have noticed is that the life raft racks were carried in two different locations, attached to the superstructure, and hung of the main mast.
As soon as I locate operating pics I will post them
Jonathan

JEno

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 11:53:31 »
Couple of photos of the Point Judith helping the USS Jimmy Carter during Alpha trials. Both are 1/48th scale.
Jonathan