Author Topic: Far Samson "world's strongest offshore vessel"  (Read 14372 times)

Kieran H

• Admiral Poster
Far Samson "world's strongest offshore vessel"
« on: December 01, 2009, 19:20:25 »
It's alive!!! ;D

shes the worlds most powerful offshore vessel ever built. with a bollard pull 423 tonnes. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it!;D any who here some quick facts. :)

Far Samson
year built:2008 delivered 09
121.5 M long
26 M beam
Gross tonnage: 15,620 + cargo 6,130 tonnes
ice class- 1B
operations as supply vessel,trench digger ETC
max speed 20 Kts
machinery: rolls royce 35 900 BHP 2x Bow thrusters 1200KW stern thruster 1800 KW

Kieran H

• Admiral Poster
Re: Far Samson "world's strongest offshore vessel"
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 19:23:14 »
heres a good page for reference from my mediocre attempt at quick facts. ;D
http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/far-samson/

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 19:25:29 »
Hmmmm......I'd be very interested to know how they managed to measure that BP!!!
MIKE

Kieran H

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 20:25:00 »
thanks mike I wasnt sure wear to post the board. crazy towing abilities.

Navy2000

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 09:43:39 »
I've seen them mearsure BP by hooking the tug up to a havy duty scale simular to what you measure produce or other stuff, but a much heavier duty version. That scale is anchor to a bitt or other device that is firmly secured to the pier or land, then they have a cable that goes from the scale to the tug inwhich they keep appling power until they get the max that they can on the scale. I will see if  I can find a pic for you to see.

Duane

Navy2000

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 10:01:45 »
Here is one link to how BP is measured.

http://www.steerprop.fi/bollardpullcode.pdf

Duane

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 15:33:38 »
Its a bit controversial saying what is the most powerful anchor-handler in the world  :) At the end of the day, the power of the most powerful are for doing their duties, ie, FAR SAMSOM is designed to work outwith anchor handling. although she has the power to produce such a bollard pull, there is not a rig / semi-sub/ barge / ship that has a 'Smit bracket' fitted for such a force, and there will never ever be a company who will pay the fees for a daily rate for an AHTS of this size to tow a rig, todays market (02/12/09) from Aberdeen. the cheapest you can hire a AHTS is for 15,000 per day, 7000 of this is going to the crew & running costs  :)

I know what you are sayingKieran about the power of the FAR SAMSON but she is not a tug and never will perform anchor-handling duties, not only because of the cost, but although she has '2' decks she cannot run anchors like a purpose built AHTS  ;)

Regards, Dan.

In you defence Kieran, I know you called this thread WORLDS STRONGEST OFFSHORE VESSEL and she certainly is, a lovely looking ship, hopefully (well I know) she will be in Aberdeen soon ;) ;) My camera is charged and waiting for her to appear  :)
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

Kieran H

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 06:16:56 »
I saw she wasnt used as a AHT but as a trench digger. ;) the title of the board is a good catch frase.

Volker

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 08:24:07 »
Dan is mostly right, but I disagree when it comes to anchor handling. True, Farstad didn't invest that much money for additional equipment to use her as an anchor handler. But she definitely can handle anchors. She has a stern roll, forks and pins, the needed winch, a 11 m wide opening at the stern and is classified as AHTS. Her 423 t were measured with all retractable thrusters running. With just the two main propellers she reached 377 t on 24,000 kW. In DP Mode with all thrusters needed for positioning she has 16,800 kW available for bollard pull. That might be good for approx. 270 t. The recently christened Harms 285t-tug Uranus reached 230 t in this mode. So under special conditions Far Samson may be suited for anchor handling. Today daily rates are at a low now. It is not that long ago, that a 220 t  AHT earned 70,000 a day. I think the rates will rise when the econamy takes up speed and deep water exploration resumes.
Volker

Kieran H

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 16:24:17 »
Id love to see a picture of her propellers. but cant seem to find any. does any one know where some might be?

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 20:20:02 »
Under the stern....lol
MIKE

Kieran H

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 06:57:39 »
Under the stern....lol
clever mike very clever. ;D

Volker

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 08:49:45 »
After we have clarified were to find the props on the original ship ;D ;D here is a link to a photo:

http://www.maritimejournal.com/archive101/2009/may/tugs__and__towing_by_jack_gaston/far_samson_breaks_bollard_pull_records

At the bottom of the page you find two photos. One is the propeller. Click on the photos to enlarge them.
Volker

Puffin

• Admiral Poster
  • WestMinster Apache
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 11:36:25 »
THAT PROP MUST BE IN EXCESS OF 16 feet .                        PUFFIN

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 11:43:18 »
 You are right there Puffin that is one BIG prop