Author Topic: Tugboyben's Smit Nederland  (Read 23967 times)

chipchase

Re: Tugboyben's Smit Nederland
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 14:05:23 »
Unfortunately I sold her about 5 years ago Jason. :( :(
Brian

Kieran H

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 19:30:09 »
certainly coming along well jason. keep up he good work.

tugboyben

• Site Supporter
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 11:42:28 »
hi all

got the inside of the hull tidy ready to fit the motors & radio gear fitted the port holes started on the steps a few pictures

jason
kirkleesmodelboatclub

tugboyben

• Site Supporter
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2010, 11:47:21 »
more  :) :) :)
kirkleesmodelboatclub

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2010, 12:27:15 »
Nice job on the bilges. You could eat dinner in there now. Table for two please. :) :) :o :o
VGJQ

Kieran H

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2010, 16:02:32 »
Nice job on the bilges. You could eat dinner in there now. Table for two please. :) :) :o :o
thats a first. ;D ;D dont go peekin in my boats bilge. :-[

tugboyben

• Site Supporter
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2010, 12:10:17 »
hi all

motors fitted started to make my own korts 55mm copper pipe they will be a lot stronger than the plastic ones a few pictures

jason
kirkleesmodelboatclub

tugboyben

• Site Supporter
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2010, 12:13:03 »
 :)
kirkleesmodelboatclub

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2010, 12:20:12 »
Thats a good idea regarding your korts but if you are using just a straight piece of pipe, you might find you will loose some thrust ?

Those Becker rudders look great  :)

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2010, 12:27:01 »
A better photo here showing how the shape of a Kort allows water in (from the direction of the camera) then creates more thrust exiting the smaller diameter 'outlet'.

I am sure you are aware of this but some members might not be so this is why I am showing the photos  ;)

Forgot to say in the last post, you are making really great progress  :) You obviously have a warm workshop to be modelling in the current UK weather !!

Regards, Dan.

tugboyben

• Site Supporter
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2010, 12:54:14 »
hi dan

cheers for that i will have a look at that tomorrow may put some plastic card on the inside of the korts i will get back to you

yes the work shop is warm i when out three weeks ago & got a gas heater 8)

jason
kirkleesmodelboatclub

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2010, 13:07:27 »
Maybe a coating of car body filler from Halfords, applied evenly about 5mm thick, then once it is set, using sandpaper, sand it down to shape ? This would only be easy if the korts are not fitted, its much easier to do this by holding the kort in one hand and sandpaper in the other  ;)

Again just a suggestion but I think plastic-card may not be the soloution  :)

Regards, Dan.

chipchase

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2010, 01:01:38 »
Coming along great Jason, I like those decaperms I was thinking about a pair of these for my new build but I donít think they will have the power that I will need. (Possibly two car fan blower motors like the ones in the link you put on).   You could put a small section of plastic drainpipe on the inside of your nozzle and shape the ends with car filler; you would have to shape your props as I donít think you have a lot of room.

Brian
Brian

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2010, 07:03:58 »
Don't sweat it too much Jason. While the airfoil cross section increases intake, like Dan mentioned, the nozzle also acts like a fan shroud and directs the prop flow directly astern with none being lost laterally. Back in the day--early 80s--I had a 45" Shelly Foss hull and made korts out of 4" PVC pipe. There was considerable difference with the nozzles installed and they had not been shaped much. You are doing a great job and I am sure your tug will perform well which ever way you end up going. Keep those posts coming. :) :) ;)
VGJQ

C-10

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2010, 10:22:01 »
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Hi Jason
                     By having a circular aerofoil section the prop creates a positive pressure at the inside narrow end of the kort
   and a negative pressure on the outside rear of the kort , the resultant pressure  difference causes a lateral force to be
   applied to the kort which in turn is transmitted to the hull through the kort pintle on steerable or through the kort fixings
   on non steerable korts. This aerofoil section is quite different to an aeroplane section where an upwards force is generated.

Full size korts increase the thrust on the ships hull up to 30% at very low ship speed and above 12 to 15 knots the kort
   nozzle drag negates  the extra thrust, so korts are mostly used on tugs, trawlers, etc.When kort  props go astern they have
   a distinct dis-advantage of generating an opposite and negative thrust, and that`s why korts that can turn through 360 degrees have props
   that only go ahead for max thrust on ASD tractor tugs

Hope it makes sense,and yes I would use an aerofoil section.

regards      pompy boy