Author Topic: fibre glass question  (Read 3808 times)

pobolycwm

fibre glass question
« on: February 03, 2010, 06:46:35 »
I have to repair a small crack/split in a fibreglass moulding, can I use the self adhesive drywall/plasterboard joint tape then brush the resin over that, or do i have to buy proper matting. I blagged a few rolls of the tape from a plasterer I know and being a tightwad and lazy it looks easier than using matting
The forums gary lineker (i`ve never had a yellow card)

big fish little fish cardboard box

Norry M

• Site Supporter
Re: fibre glass question
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 06:55:31 »
...Hi pobolycwm...

First of all, drill a small hole at each end of the split or crack...This will stop it from going any further...
I wouldn,t use Plasterers Tape with Resin at all...It only looks the same...
Mix up some resin & mix some  Dry Sawdust into it...Put insulating Tape over the outside of the crack, Then paint the inside with your resin/sawdust mix...Allow it to dry then remove the insulating tape from the outside...Lightly sand the outside...smooth a little P38 filler on the outside if required...

...Best Regards...Norry...
Get Yir Tugs Oot Furri Bouys

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 08:38:38 »
Good Tip Norry :) :) :) :) :) :)
MIKE

nhp651

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 13:02:22 »
Sorry Norry but i disagree with you there....there is absolutely no inherant strength in resin without a matt of some sort, even if mixed with sawdust.
if you don't want to go to the expense of some grp matting, then you can use the plasterboard scrim, but use two layers. you can aslo use wet wipes that have gone dry, or any course woven cloth..hession is another favorite...any where the weave can hold the resin into as form, and yet keep it from cracking again.
however, if it is only a small crack, some polyester car body filler and the wire gauze is just as good a patch.....but you need some  physical sheet to bond to.
neil.
I'll get it right ONE DAY

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 13:10:44 »
I think a good idea is for pobolycwm to post a few photos so we can see the extent of the size of the crack/split so to be able to offer the best advice  :)

Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

nhp651

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 14:31:47 »
 :) :) :) :) :) :)
I'll get it right ONE DAY

Norry M

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 14:41:11 »
...Good Evening Guys...

I was advising pobolycwm on the understanding that it was a small crack/split as he states in his posting...
We have used this compound several times at our club whilst building & repairing our harbour layout and i can assure you it has loads of strength...The Moulding itself is sheet enough to bond to if it is only a small split...

As Sea Mariner says it might be an idea to post a picture of the repair...
I would certainly not use the plasterers tape as it will break up when soaked by the resin...

...Best Regards...Norry...

« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 14:42:48 by Norry M »
Get Yir Tugs Oot Furri Bouys

chersguy

• Too soon old,too late smart
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 20:54:07 »
Here's something you might try as a substitute for plasterer's tape. The sheets you put in the dryer to soften laundry ( Bounce,etc) after being used,give you a very fine form of non-woven matt. After the dryer they have none of the slippery stuff (teflon,silicone?) remaining and wet out beautifully.They seem to be some sort of polyester and are really strong. I used two layers with epoxy resin as fillets between the deck beams and the hull on a lobster boat I'm building and you could stand on them.
She said,"Either the boats go or I do".
I'll miss her...

pobolycwm

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 05:03:29 »
Thanks for the replies, it was to repair a council installed rain shelter above the front door. I took it down to repair and dropped it, so I blamed the weight of the snow from a few weeks back for causing the crack and the nice inspector from the council is going to send someone to replace it. Expect some tug related questions soon
pob
The forums gary lineker (i`ve never had a yellow card)

big fish little fish cardboard box