Author Topic: Red Oxide / anti fouling Red  (Read 5108 times)

seahawk 1

Red Oxide / anti fouling Red
« on: April 07, 2010, 14:32:25 »
What is everyone using these days for red oxide-anti fouling red?  I used to be able to get Rustoleum primer in red oxide, but seems that it  has gone to a ruddy brown now.  I have looked at Krylon, Rustoleum,and a couple of off brands and though the cans are marked 'red oxide primer', they are truly brown.  I know I could use Floquil red oxide, but at $4.50+ a bottle=30 bottles   :o

Mike
I took an I.Q. test once..........The results came back negative.

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
Re: Red Oxide / anti fouling Red
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 22:47:08 »
I use a Local car body spray paint called Tkrom. Their red oxide is excellent. I am sure you can get similar around the world..
Barry

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 05:18:02 »
Try your auto parts supply that mixes paints - they can create your color for you and make up 3-4 cans.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 13:47:30 »
I've used Tremclad Red primer for years now, with great results, and it's just the right colour!!
MIKE

seahawk 1

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 16:27:04 »
I've used Tremclad Red primer for years now, with great results, and it's just the right colour!!

Tremclad isn't available in the US, though it is the right color.  I don't know what they took out of the primer, but it isn't red anymore. 
I spent over 20 years in the auto refinishing industry, and found you can't even get a single stage primer anymore, at least through our local PPG supplier.  We lost our Dupont / Martin Senour supplier years ago.

Mike

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 16:30:53 »
I'd send you a can in the mail, but we just can't do that anymore!!!   :(
MIKE

seahawk 1

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 17:37:29 »
Appreciate the thought Mike  ;D  Many years ago, the Dept. of Enviromental Quality forced the removal of all isocyanates from automotive paint.......and then wondered why it didn't stick anymore.  We received a visit from one of these individuals who proceed to tell us, 'you can't have this paint, or that paint in here, it's illegal !'  This was due to the 'lead content ' of the colors.  I proceeded to tell him that as soon as General Motors stopped producing blue, red, green, grey and yellow cars, I would remove those colors.
I did drop a note to Rustoleum asking what color was available in the US that was the equivilant to Tremclad red primer.  I have used both Krylon and Rustoleum, but the 'new Krylon' is terrible.  Rustoleum takes longer to dry, but gives great results.  I did find Tamiya makes a hull red, so may try a bit of that.

Mike

C-10

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 11:50:33 »
 :) :) :) :)

I use Humbrol  Matt Brick Red (no 70 ) with a coat of satin varnish on top,being enamel based they stick
      a lot better than acrylic paints to the substrate.
               When the club did a show in the Spa hot waters at Bath the acrylic anti fouling wasn`t  as good as the
      enamel based and in some cases started bubbling and peeling .

pompy boy

seahawk 1

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 15:06:19 »
Found some  :)  Dupli-color or VHT makes a perfect red oxide primer. 
http://vhtpaint.com/primecoat.html http://www.duplicolor.com/products/pro_primers.html

Thanks for all the help guys!
Mike