Author Topic: Sun Tug Build.  (Read 37205 times)

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: Sun Tug Build.
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 10:35:36 »
This picture shows it better it gives a good indication of the colour scheme. and shows the top rail of the bulwarks painted casing colour    geo
Tugs are for life      George B

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 14:30:23 »
Thanks for the tip on funnel band and also the stern view picture, as this also now helps with further detailling of the rear decks and size/locations of vent stacks.

I have some Humbrol number 18, which is an orangy red, almost same orange as RNLi orange, is this close enough or can you suggest alternative Humbrol reference......

Funnel just getting a second "flat" after 2 coats of black at moment, not ready for the "band" till black is finished
Best Wishes.

Gregg.
[All messages sent using recycled electrons]

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2010, 06:13:17 »
Perfect orange Steve.

Geo

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2010, 11:21:51 »
Hi Greg just looked at your build looking good :) :)
George is the man for sun tugs he has built a lot ;)
Regards John
john b

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2010, 14:41:53 »
Thanks John, but dont worry I'm beginning to think that George wishes he han't replied to my initial info requests now ! [ha ha] But my continual  " Q & A " sessions  must be keeping the grey matter buzzin....

I appreciate all help and comments Guys, you are making what looked a real challenge of a kit a damm  site easier than first thoughts. I REALLY do appreciate all your assistance and guidance.

I just hope that someday, I can do the same in return, but for now, can only build this Sun Tug so it looks how it should.

Pic attached of funnel progress, first coat of "orange" applied,  another 2 to go, plus a full all over clear varnish to  complete once all dry, will leave 3 days before applying that, to ensure underlying coats all dry. Dont want to spoil it now and have to drag all the paint off !!!
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2010, 14:44:26 »
Damm !
#

Why oh why Do I keep hitting the "post" button before I attach pictures?
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2010, 00:27:37 »
Hi Steve it must be the lack of rest working on that tug of yours making you do silly things, the funnel is looking good :) :)

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2010, 10:29:49 »
I'll second that!!!

Well Done!!!!
MIKE

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2010, 17:35:20 »
Very fine build :) :) :) :)

You should be proud cool cool cool

Suds
"Suds"

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 04:36:31 »
Funnel !

Complete with white bands [I hope], now to see about getting the rest of the tug as good !

I am going to also insert a longer length of nylon pipe through the funnel, so it extends down into the hull space, reason behind?  Well, I might just decided to install a smoke generator, so if the pipe goes in now, its all ready for later on.........
But for now, once painted sooty black, it will suffice till funds allow further toys [ha ha ha].
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
Wheelhouse stairs
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2010, 04:45:04 »
Ok, so my supply of spare/additional [plywood has arrived this morning, so i can now advance with  a little more engineering work! Unfortunately some of the upper deck pieces were missing from my kit,perhaps the previous owner had taken them out of the plastic bags to do some sanding work and they never returned before it got sold, who knows!

Anyway. I have now commenced work on the wheelhouse staircase. I didnt like to leave the wheelhouse "as per kit" complete with solid wooden panel between wheelhouse and chartroom, it looked so false and incomplete. So ive removed the blank wall panel, so the wheelhouse now extends in to the chartroom and have now cut the floor out to prepare for the staircase to the lower deck. I will line the sidewalls with thin balsa sheet, to simulate the sidewalls and "close it in, add a"lower floor" below the stairs, so any peeping in through the wheelhouse windows will not show "empty open space" as you look down the stairwell.  A bit of a 3 dimensional nightmare having to think in several "planes" but worth the effort.

as they say "watch this space", updated soon with more pictures once completed this stage.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
Wheelhouse stairs.
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2010, 14:38:47 »
I've now managed to fabricate the star side walls and have lowered a staircase in to the aperture, placed a suitable "white led" [to replicate a flourescent tube] in the stairwell and think the effect should be sufficient.
next task is to fit out the chartroom with settee & lockers, then sort out the other electrical equipment before moving forwards in to the wheelhouse.

yes, there is a sidewall missing off the chartroom, but left off for now, to make access easier and less of a tweeser jobby.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2010, 15:03:49 »
Wow...look at you go!!

Nice stuff Greg!!
MIKE

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2010, 22:51:46 »
I like the stairwell effect Steve well done!!! ;)

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2010, 03:44:18 »
Really like the indirect lighting from the stairwell. Well done.
VGJQ