Author Topic: Rine/Rhone Pusher tug "Egrete"  (Read 29992 times)

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
Rine/Rhone Pusher tug "Egrete"
« on: April 25, 2010, 01:31:05 »
Ive just bought a set of plans for one of these Pusher Tugs, its one of those with an elevating control cabin [scissor system], Fancied having a go at scratchbuilding from flat pack. has anyone built one of these, could do with some hints and tips, also some decent photo's would not go amiss before I start.

Also, would it be better to go for a ply hull and deck, then build the upperworks from plasticard, or simply to go for a full plastic build. Plastic's no problem to me, used to working with the stuff, but wondering about hull strength and rigidity, especiually if I ever fancied a tug barge competition with it.

Its something to build once my Sun tug is completed, I always like to look ahead to next challenge !
Best Wishes.

Gregg.
[All messages sent using recycled electrons]

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
Re: Rine/Rhone Pusher tug "Egrete"
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 10:29:00 »
That will be a first here on this forum....I think ??? ???

Looking forward to reading about the build :) :) cool cool
MIKE

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 17:36:33 »
Can't wait to read the build thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suds
"Suds"

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 00:53:06 »
OH DEAR ! :o

Does this mean I'm the gunnea pig on this creation?

"I've created a monsta !" :o

Aaaarrggghhhh .........

Lets just hope the bounce does not go from my Bungee............. well not before completion anyway. ;D

Incidentally , some of the "model pic's" i'm using at present are from a build blog, created and built by Scottie @ marine-moddeling.co.uk.
Appologies to moderators if you dislike people giving out "plugs", but untill I start the build, I have nothing to show what I'm going on about.

Ta.

But if anyone does read this thread with any info or pictures, I'd appreciate anything sent in or commented.
i'm already building up a small data bank of pictures and other peoples build details, so has "somethuing" from which to read and assist me with.
I have some ideas and suggestions  concerning the "bridge lift servo" and to use a "sail winch servo" [for the added torque required to lift the bridge weight], but the "radar drive" [as I intend to rotate both radar scanners too] is tasking some deliverance, some peoples ideas of "band drive2 has failed, so i'm now thinking along single layer gear drive, using some lightweigth plastic gears and brass centre posts, but again, all this weight has to be lifted by the servo. Its not so bad on the "down", good old gravity will assist no doubts here.......
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

thelongbuild

• Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 04:25:37 »
Should be an intersting build, I have only see this model once elsewhere.
do you have the backing articles with the plans as this was covered over 4 months may to August 1988 in model boats..if not I might be able to help.

Funny enough I recently sold this plan as well , but don't think it was you..
Next Build M.S.C Volant after 1 other.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 04:29:35 »
Yes, the boat plans I bought, did come with a photocopy of the original building logs from the 4 issues of the magazine, I purchased off Ebay last week, dont worry if it was you who sold them, I have no problem with that, I'm just merely collecting more info to assist in the build before I commence the order for sticking plasters and paracetamol [again]. ;D
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

thelongbuild

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 05:03:39 »
No wasn't me , wish it had been , me thinks me be underchargeing  :(  , looking at what that seller is charging for basic plans , but still afair price I would say.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 15:32:17 »
Have  done a bit of digging today and after reading the "model boat build" and their offer of a "styrene build pack", decided to give them a call, on the off chance they actually may well have one knocking around on the bottom of a rather dusty shelf!

Answer, YES ! price had gone up a bit since the plans were originally printed [1988], but nevertheless, they had a pack available, but no longer. Hopefully it should be cruising itself my way.  HHmm, back in 1988, they pack was on offer for a mere 18.00, but todays price inc posting was 34.00. I will update once the parcel arrives, cant wait to see what we get for this, perhaps its a semi completed "ARTR" Na, perhaps thats wishful thinking or loosing out on the fun bit of a full build.

I thought it best to try them first, as it seems only a limited number of possibilities to get styrene sheet [in 1 piece lengthways] that is needed for the build. So rather than risk one of my plastic seam joins on the hull sides and bottom, its less chance to risk  a titanic job with a side plate splitting apart on a slight impact.

have been looking at "shottle drives", but perhaps due to cost I may have to resort to swivel korts instead. Coupled with 2 mfa 500/550's should give it the power needed to ease a barge along quite merrily. not quite decided on size of Prop's yet.............. perhaps once the build of the hull begins, I will get a better gauge of what space I have to squeeze some power plant in..
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

thelongbuild

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 03:50:33 »
re The pack , Just shows Don't ask Don't get..  Nice one.. Bet they had to go rummaging in the vaults for that one 22yrs on... 

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
Ikea delivery !
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 02:16:08 »
Ok, SO my delivery from "Ikea", er, sorry ! Model Boats has arrived,strangely it arrived via a  Sub contractor/supplier and not directly "off the shelf".

Ive opened the flat pack and checked its contents and it looks like all that was originally statedf in the original build plans from the magazine are here. Unfortunately, the magazine never did print an "itinery list [as such]" for the available kit and the "subby" has neglected to do so either, apart from having their address details, so I can go direct [hopefully] if I need any more "longer " lengths of styrene sheet, remembering that the hull sides on this pusher tug model are 27" long [675mm].  I hope you appreciate that usual stockists of styrene sheet sell "A4" size, so without wanting to "join" 3 sheets together, this was an oppertunity not to miss out on.

I have my Sun Tug to complete first, so I will post on here once that is finished. This is a project that may well require my full attention, especially if contstructing the hull in styrene sheet !
I still yet may opt for Ply and build the basic hull shell from 1.5mm ply skins, not yet decided.................
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
Pictures of "Ikea Pack "
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 02:20:01 »
Sorry, forgot to attach pictures of pack contents.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Models and Miniatures
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 10:04:21 »
You might find a bit of comeraderie with this gentleman...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1226340

:)

Red_Hamish

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 11:58:29 »
Hello all, if anyone else is considering doing one of these great looking (in my eyes) boats, you might want to look to these people for larger than normal (56x26") plastic sheet off the shelf.

http://www.modellersmate.co.uk/plasticard.htm

cheers

Jim
enjoy life and model boating not necessarily in that order :-)
www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org  or www.paddleducks.co.uk and the best place to live
www.visitshetland.com of course!

pobolycwm

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 00:52:45 »
looks like a nice set of plans looking forward to this build
The forums gary lineker (i`ve never had a yellow card)

big fish little fish cardboard box

Gramps

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 12:21:01 »
re The pack , Just shows Don't ask Don't get..  Nice one.. Bet they had to go rummaging in the vaults for that one 22yrs on...

I doubt it, MB hulls and building packs are available all the time  ???

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/18077/egret-hull-hulmm1417

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/browser/347/boat-hulls#