Author Topic: Rine/Rhone Pusher tug "Egrete"  (Read 29986 times)

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
Re: Rine/Rhone Pusher tug "Egrete"
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 12:32:22 »
This is interesting...seeing as we're at that site for the moment...

http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/18069/keenoma-hull-hulmm1322
MIKE

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 14:01:28 »
WELL !

So called "my hobby store2 certanly got this one completely wrong!

i ordered the styrene pack  "as described and with reference number" in their write up, pack arrived, as I previously showed pictures of, but after reading the instructions twice, the styrene pack they sent is all WRONG SIZE ! Instead of sending 1mm 1.5mm 2mm and a sheet of .75mm, they have sent 10thou, 15thou, 20 thou ! And HOW may i ask are you supposed to build a hull capable of supporting its size.
/weight out of this?

I'll have to wait untill the shop opens again on tuesday morning before making a call to see what they are prepared to do to remedy the situation.

Obviously someone has misread the kit contents list and read imperial instead of metric! [ I HOPE] !

No body is perfect!

Oh, recieved my copy of the "commemorative special issue". Tobe honest guys, its not worth the "hype", keep your money and just buy the monthly mag. Its all bits n pieces from old issues, and not enough of any one subject to make a full story, its all "recaps" so to speak.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.
[All messages sent using recycled electrons]

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
Hull kit update !
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 10:59:43 »
tried time after time today to get through to "my hobby store", till I almost flattened the battery in my phone handset!, time after time I was placed on "call waiting", so gave up in the end and  contacted the "sub contractor/supplier" who actually sent the styrene pack out to me. the guy at the other end of the phone was very freindly and appologised for the error of wrongly supplied sheet thickness and has promised to put the correct thickness sheets in the post to me, to replace the hull sides and base. 1.5mm is thin enough to use for the hull sides, let alone the 0.85mm they actually sent!

It goes to show that when ordering these hull kits, please check the contents fully and make sure that not just the length/width is ok, but make sure the sheets are correct thickness for their specific purpose too!

I did eventually get through to "my hobby store" and explained my problem, they too were appologetic, but I tried my best to explain tot hem, is the problem in the "cut list" supplied to the sub contractor or was it simply the sub contractor cutting all the panels from one sheet of styrene?

WHO KNOWS ?

I will await yet another delivery from ikea !
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 07:20:40 »
Flat pack parcel arrived this morning!
Complete with the replacement styrene sheets [of correct thickness!].

So, back on track once my Sun tug is complete, but if anyone reading this blog has and details, pictures or suggestions for suitable motors/props/ kort sizes, id greatly appreciate it. :D
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

Gramps

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 13:30:18 »
I've tried a couple of their hulls and they're fairly good. I've often thought about Keenoma, it looks quite a nice tug from the drawing, has anyone built one?

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 13:46:46 »
please remember this is not a "full hull" as such, its only sheets of styrene card which have to be cut and joined, its not pre formed in any way.

As for the other one you mentioned, perhaps you need to ask about this on the open forum, not on this blog, as I was trying to keep this one for a specific build.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

Gramps

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 11:37:20 »
Woa, you're moderating the moderators?  :o

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 14:22:40 »
I was merely pointing out that your request for info would be better suited on the open forum, where you would stand a better chance of a reply with the info you need, rather than on this one.

perhaps sometimes things like this need pointing out to some people, as I started this off to get info for my project before I start building it, not to go off at a tangent just because someone decides to take it over and throw all their toys out of the pram.

Moderator or not, there is no need to get funny, nor to start using your title as leverage. thats not my fault !
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

Gramps

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 11:56:43 »
PM sent

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
Powertrain update.
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 07:19:42 »
I've taken the plunge and mad a decision. I have gone for swivelling Kort nozzles [50mm] and 3 blade propellers to match. I will use L/H & R/H prop's to stop the risk of "torque steer" when under power.Still not made my nind up with motors yet, but the more i think about it, the more the MFA 500 series seem to be the most suitable, especially withthe 6:1 ratio gearboxes to reduce rpm's and increase torque for the size of props in use........

Not unless anyone can think of anything more suitable of course? 
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
drive train arrived.
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 04:39:38 »
just recieved the kort's and propellers today, along with the propeller shafts. Just needing motors and drivetrain will be complete. But as stated previously, im still undecided on motors and would appreciate any tips on these.

the kort nozzles come with fitting instructions as normal supplied parts from Robbe, usually do, but they give no measurements about propeller position, ok, so it goes centrally to the doameter of the kort tube, but how far in/out of the tube does the prop actually sit?
I think I may have to make a wooden "mock up" first and conduct a few trials to get the best position to allow for maximum thrust and also for maximum steering angle permissible.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 06:25:18 »
Those look like they should be more than adequate for that hull shape - a Springer with twin props in effect.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 07:05:05 »
Oh yes, they should provide more than enough pushing power. i did think about putting a bow thruster in as well as, but dropped the idea, as the original didnt have bow thruster, just 2 korts.
Just need to find time to make a "test rig" to check out the positioning of the propeller inside the kort, to ensure  it does not clip the blades on turning.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

Jack Holland

• Tugs in the Netherlands
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2010, 08:00:44 »
Almost the same wheelhouse lifting system in reality.

Jack Mulder

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2010, 11:08:03 »
Thanks for the picture! at least that shows the scissors type mechanism very clearly, although positioned at the sides, rather than underneath the cabin.
Er, would hate to slip whilst walking past that lot though! No signs of any safety fence round those lift arms! [ha ha].
Best Wishes.

Gregg.