Author Topic: Rine/Rhone Pusher tug "Egrete"  (Read 36388 times)

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
Build pt 7 - Elevating bridge.
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2010, 11:15:35 »
Well, i finally think I've cracked this one! It took some time to finalise all the linkage, but after some bench testing, all seems well in the docks.
To cut out all the scissor lifting beams and pivots was challenging enough, but I wanted the mast behind the cabin to raise/lower, at the same time as the bride section itself and not by using yet another servo or radio channel.
So after checking out the scissor links that elevate the bridge, I chose to link a bar off the centre pivot bar, run through a slot in the wheelhouse floor, and then link to a lever arm, I had already  glued to the mast pivot.
  Things seemed to work ok, but could not get full lift on the bridge mechanism, so added a "slotted link bar" to the system, to allow for the additional movement of the bridge, so now both lift to max height and lower accordingly too.

I have ordered a metal geared "hi torque" servo to operate this little lot, so once that is installed, i will upload a video of the mechanism too, so you will have to do with pictures for now, but hopefully, they should give you the ideas behind the headscratching !
Best Wishes.

Gregg.
[All messages sent using recycled electrons]

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
Build pt8 wheelhouse ladder
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2010, 15:22:25 »
I have left the wheelhouse for the moment, to construct the wheelhouse ladder, which also raises/lowers as the wheelhouse does so. It is only connected by a pivot point on the rear walkway platform, but for full effext, it has to do so, otherwise the ladder will hand at a silly angle when the bridge deck is raised.

the plans are a bit vague for dimensions so you have to search for yourself, referring to both the main side view of the boat and the plan view for length and width of the ladder.
Construction is simplicity, 2 side frames of 1mm plasticard, 4mm deep, some 3mm diameter plastic tube and some brass rod to insert through the plastic tube, but I used plastic rod 0.75mm, as its far easier to bond to the side frames, and of course makes for a quicker build too.
I cut and drilled the side frames, following the plan to get all the rungs in correct position, dont forget to round the ends of the frames too. then after cutting the 3mm tubes to length, press through the 0.75mm rod through one side frame, through the roller and out through the other side frame before cutting to length, allowing about 1mm each side externally to the ladder side frames for glue bonding.
the lower bottom roller also has 2 6mm diameter, 5mm wide sleeves added, to act as wheel rollers for when the ladder moves in an arc across the deck to as the wheelhouse moves, so remember not to overtighten the brass bolts that hold the ladder to the back of the bridge too much.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
Re: ladder build pt8
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2010, 15:34:05 »
second picture attached below for reference
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
pt9 - OPERATIONAL BRIDGE !
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2010, 06:43:33 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CwndJyguho" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CwndJyguho</a>
Finally recieved delivery of a metal geared servo, so have tried this as the drive motor form the elevating wheelhouse and mast.
All works fine, some minor adjustments were necesasary to get the link arm correct length on the servo, but other than that, IT WORKS !

I can now carry on with the internals of the wheelhouse, make up the rear cabinets and then see about hiding the wiring for the mast lights and radar motors.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:46:44 by tugs53 »
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

mike_victoriabc

• Admiral Poster
Re: Rine/Rhone Pusher tug "Egrete"
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2010, 07:25:22 »
That looks pretty tricky - nice work!

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2010, 07:47:19 »
Very nice work cool cool
MIKE

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2010, 08:50:55 »
Thanks for your comments, I'm glad it all works after pondering over the mechanism for over 3 days in design stage [ha ha].
I just have a couple of deck lights to install on the rear wall of the wheelhouse, install the cabinets inside, then I can put the wheelhouse roof on, then see about setting up the servo mount on the underside of the deck structure, but thats a minor item from getting all those links to work correctly.
I do have to admit to really liking the 5th servo switch on my "Planet radio" system, it gives such a nice "speed" to the servo.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2010, 12:42:31 »
Well done Greg works well good idea with mast :) :)

John
john b

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2010, 15:32:42 »
Ive seen a couple of build threads on this particular pusher tug, which is why I decided to try my own hand at one, but none of them had managed to get the mast to pivot "automatically". it was either fixed in place or held up by a removeable pin, which meant you had to dock the tug, pull out the pin, then re sails out with the mast lowered, Too much fiddling about for my books! Even the original plans in the magazine said to "insert pin in mast", to lock in upright position!
The radars again, are static in 2 other variants, one tried to use a rubber drive belt and pullies, but htis has a minute geared motor, inserted in to each radar box, they are pictured earlier in the build notes, but they will be posted as part of the build shortly, once they are attached to the walkway and operational. I am again using the copper sticky strip under the walkway to hide the electrical wiring as much as possible, plus you can overpaint over it, unlike standard wiring, no matter how thick the paint, a wire is still a wire. Not unless you then make conduits to run the wires in, but then you add more weight to the elevating bridge, which is something I have to be careful of, otherwise the servo motor will have to be replaced with a geared motor and possibly a chain drive mechanism [which I do have waiting in a box - as a backup if this servo fails].
no, i dont believe in just one method of doing something, i always try to have a contingency plan "just in case" [ha ha].
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
Build pt 10 - radar masts & deck wiring
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2010, 07:03:02 »
I have now managed to insert the geared radar motors in to the resin castings, kindly supplied via MMB. I just had to drill a 6mm hole in the top of the motor box, to put the motor in, then drill a 3mm hole right the full length of the radar mast post, so i can run the wires through.
I then placed a piece of 100m plastic tube, to replicate the outer mast cylinder, on to the deck, drilled a small hole to take a winding handle and job complete.

I have now also run the copper foil strip on the underside of the deckhouse gangway, so I can easily attach the wires, to both the radar motors and the navigation ligth boxes, which will sit on the sides of the deck rails.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
Build pt11 - rear anchor winch.
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2010, 15:34:53 »
Whilst i am waiting for  some of the front wheelhouse items to set dry I decided to build the rear stern anchor winch gear.  these are affixed to the top of the rear access hatch, where the main switchgear and charging point for the drive batteries will be located. So, need to make this hatch easily removeable, but not too loose as it falls off.  So i decided to buy some small 2mm diameter magnets, 1.5mm tall, so very small, but super strong too! I drilled a 2mm hole in the hatch cover in each corner and then again in the centre of the longer sides, then after adding some 15mm wide coaming under the floor, which allows this hatch to sit flush with the deck, i drilled through, so I can align the lower "fixed" magnets with the one which will be bonded in to the removeable hatch cover. Once glue had dried, i tested this out and it worked a treat, it holds secure enough not to let the hatch cover bounce around, but with a gentle "tug" it lifts away readily.
Now to sort out the anchor winch, this was made up as per the plan drawings, but I used some thinner plasticard to bend over the radii of the winch drums to get a cleaner radius. I added some hydraulic pipes to the winch motor, made from some 2mm solder, as it was easier to bend than brass rod. Added the lower anchor guides and fitted the support brackets. Applied some paint to match the main upper deck structure and will just add the anchors and chains later once ive finished lifting off the rear hatch cover, but allowing some slack in the chain, to allow me to lift the cover to access the switches.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
Build pt12 - railings
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2010, 13:19:01 »
the railings have been a challenge/work of art in themselves. the original plans listed only single sided items for the upper deck gangways, leading to the elevating  bridge. this to be honest, didnt look right, so ive added a second set, the other side of the walkways.
the rails along the deck and upper gangways were made from 1.5mm brass rod, being the simplest to join and also harder wearing than plastic rod. I did however use plastic rod [2mm] around the elevating bridge, simply for its light weight, not wanting to overload the already hardworking metal geared servo that pulls it all skywards at the flick of a switch.
All I need now is the steady hand to paint off of the rails white, best wait now till daylight, save me missing an important bit out [ha ha].
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2010, 19:11:41 »
Well Done Greg :) :) :)

Your posts are full of helpfull Tips....which is great :) :)
MIKE

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2010, 03:39:44 »
Thanks for your comment, it is appreciated. i try my best to "fill in" where the simple plans leave a nasty gap in the instructions, so Once i've completed a section or built something thats "will work" then i update my build blogs, but gibve a bit more info fo anyone else who may consider a similar build, or  , better still be able to use some of my methods to help with similar projects of their own. yes I also do add some of my failures in as well, afterall, we all learn from mistakes too !
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
Build pt 14
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2010, 07:49:15 »
So the boat continues, I have now managed to sort out the electrics for the winch motor, simply using 2 micro switches to swap polarity on the motor, to reverse direction of the motor, to either "winch in", or "winch out". This will enable me to hitch up to virtually any barge or other vessel, " for towing/pushing" purposes! [ha ha].
" for some time now, so think its about time I finally secures the roof of the bridge down and left it be. So that will be next job. I have affixed a couple of air horns to the sides of the wheelhouse roof, for effect and the added weight of the white metal fixings has nto caused any issues with the lift servo.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.