Author Topic: Rine/Rhone Pusher tug "Egrete"  (Read 35152 times)

sea.mariner

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
  • I Know a fair bit about tugs but am always learning !
Re: Rine/Rhone Pusher tug "Egrete"
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2010, 08:07:22 »
Gregg,

I have been reading through this thread over past few days and can't thank you enough for the photos, tips and especially the time you have taken to type all the information. It is a stunning build with expert thoughts and ideas, also excellent detail.

Kind Regards, Dan.
Photos / Information, I nearly have them all !

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2010, 09:19:12 »
Thanks "sea mariner" for your words. I am enjoying the build, dont get me wrong, but like a lot of other plans/builds, the manufacturers, often leave some "grey areas" where its a little vague for the average moddler to comprehend. I am merely an amateur in model boats, Im onlty just coming up to the end of my first year in building and constructing them, so I'm far from being any expert. i try my utmost to explains all i do, so others can learn from my builds and, yes, from mistakes also.
photographs, with the era of digital photography, its little effort to upload them nowadays, the age of 35mm film was a different kettle of fish ! they were only used for postal stuff back then eh!
I like to photograph all aspects of my builds, no matter what it is, its simple enough to do, its just remembering to keep taking photo's whilst you are building something, thats the problem,, as i do get carried away sometimes in a particular item/stage and almost forget to take them.
But just as a "sampler" this is an actual photo of what stage its at now!
Best Wishes.

Gregg.
[All messages sent using recycled electrons]

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
Build pt15 - drivetrain.
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2010, 03:44:02 »
The instructions for this pusher tug "suggest" a pair of "380" type motors. Being a bit wary of the small size and torque, i decided to go a little bigger. I knew thats I was going to fit a pair of 6v batteries, purely to help disperse the weight of the batteries more evenly anyway, so a bit more torque in the hull would be too cumbersome, or drain the batteries too fast.
I managed to find a pair of motors [s/h] on ebay, they were of "unknown orogin", but labelled as 9-12 v, but had  some decent 6:1 epicyclic reduction gearboxes on the nose end, thus multiplying the torque output and reducing prop revs accordingly. I had already bought the kort's complete with 50mm propellers, a pair of brass tubed prop tubes with 5mm shafts. I did use the same length of shafts as per the plans, as with the motors i managed to obtain, they sit at quite a nice low angle, thus enabling the propellers to direct their thrust more evenly, than at a steeper angle in the water.
 I made up some motor mounts out of square section wood, the cooling coils were made from some brake pipe tubing, produced as an "aftermarket" things, if anyone wishes to replace the metal brake pipes on their cars - "diy jobbing" so to speak. But its very flexible, rolls round very easily, cheap  and readily available, plus a 1 mtr piece will easily make you 4 coils.
I appreciate that this pusher tug is not going to be travelling too fast in the water, so I may have to add a water pump to the circuit, but at least all the basic groundwork is in place and the pump will only need some flexi silicone pipes to connect inline if needed. its a "belt n braces" thing I added, when I finally get the barge built I want to push with it. not knowing what type of load it may put on the motors, I thought best to add the coils now, rather than a retrofit later on .
One thing to add here. I strayed from the original plans for the propeller supports. the plans called for a solid strip of plasticard, to bond the underside of the prop tube, to the hull, this seemed to be too flexible and I had difficulty keeping the propeller centrally in the kort tube, so i gave those up and fitted a pair of diagonal support bars to the propeller shaft tubes. thye nove gave me the rigid support to ensure the props dont flex or foul in the kort nozzels under load or on turns.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
Build pt16. bridge drive servo.
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2011, 08:36:09 »
As Ive mentioned previously, I have opted for a metal geared servo for now! I have bench tested this gear for a few hours to ensure it works ok and no problems with the load on the servo and operating gear.
So time to tell you my method of elevating the bridge.

I have tried to keep the bridge assembly as light as possible, especially as I have also geared the mast to raise/lower with it.
The driving servo is mounted to the underside of the upper superstructure, so when you lift off the upper body, all the mechanism goes with it, so no hassles having to disconnect anything other than the servo fly lead.
The servo mount was fabricated out of 1.5mm plasticard for strength and reinforced around with support ribs to prevent any flexing when the servo is under load.
I fabricated a plasticard servo arm, after a few attampts to get the length of the arm right for maximum lift/lower. So again, this will be something you personally will have to do, once your servo position is secured.
This was a big gap in the original instructions, they told you how to make the bridge raise/lower with arms and rods, but never showed any linkup to a servo or motor.

The picture also shows the cable runs for all the wheelhouse lights and deck illumination lamps.
Oh and the microswitch you can see visible, next to the servo arm, thats for the mast lights, so as the mast lowers, the lights are automatically switched off, so the lighst are not on with the mast in the down position, btu soon as the servo starts to lift the bridge, the mast starts to raise as well and the mast lights come on too.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2011, 08:30:24 »
Just a short video clip of my Egrete pusher tug, virtually 99% complete, just waiting to locate a lifeboat dinghy for the upper deck, cant seem to find right size yet to fit.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifgGIdfHNrw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifgGIdfHNrw</a>
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:41:48 by tugs53 »
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2011, 08:32:26 »
The micro motors I sourced for the radar units work really well, they are powered off a 1.5v battery cell pack in the stern. no, before you ask, they are not adjustable in height, i had enough fun getting the bridge just right [ha ha].
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:39:55 by gregk9 »
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

Sudbury II

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2011, 13:52:33 »
Very Impressive Greg!!

Suds
"Suds"

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
In the water !
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2011, 08:33:24 »
My Egrete Pusher tug has had first contact with the water in our clubs pool at Chasewater!

I have to admit feeling very nervous, especially with its all plasticard construction, but my fears were soon put aside as the twin korts powered the boat away from the poolside and off away !

It handles very well, steers to perfection and Im glad I didnt spend out on a bow thruster, as it does not need it at all with the twin korts at the rear. it turns quickly and easily, even reverses in a straight line!

I am yet to add my newly build barge in front of it for a load test, but it managed to push a couple of overturned club members  boats to the shore without breaking in to a sweat.

Its a wonderful pusher tug Build. Id recommend anyone have a go at building and sailing one of these, they're great !

Suppose next task is to see actually how many barges I can get attached to the bows and still be able to drive and steer it.

Anyone got any multiple barges anywhere??? [ha ha].
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2011, 16:06:47 »
Just a few pictures taken to day of  my pusher tug.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
new pics !
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2011, 16:13:30 »
few more images
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2011, 17:27:44 »
Man she sure looks good on the water!!

Well Done.
MIKE

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2011, 01:53:44 »
many thanks for your comment. yes, im very pleased with the result too. Im even more pleased the scissor bridge, complete with the link to the wheelhouse mast works! Its terriffic to watch it all happen out on the water.

Yes, i know, it needs some barges to push now! [ha ha].  Hopefully, amidst building my "moorhen kit" i will get round to making a couple of barges and get this beut working for its living.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
Barge build.
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2011, 13:06:40 »
Ok, so decided id got sufficient styrene sheet in stock to build a barge, so have started with a basic rectangular hull. Added some triangular corner braces along the hull sides and corners. I added a double whammy of cross bars across the stern, being as this barge will be pushed for most of the time.  I will also add a front tow post, so my Sun tug wont get left out either, so barge can be towed too.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2011, 19:23:21 »
How big a barge Greg?
MIKE

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2011, 05:38:03 »
If you exclude the "pointy add on bows" bit, its about the same size as the pusher tug itself, so 280mm x 620mm, height is about 120mm
Best Wishes.

Gregg.