Author Topic: Rine/Rhone Pusher tug "Egrete"  (Read 29990 times)

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
Re: Rine/Rhone Pusher tug "Egrete"
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2011, 18:24:27 »
Going to be quite the unit!!
MIKE

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2011, 03:15:59 »
I hope it is !!

I kept the draft "shallow" for this barge, being as it is to be pushed along, rather than be towed. I have already built a more "sturdier" wooden barge with a deeper draft, which allowed for ballast, this pulls fine behind my Sun tug, but had to fill 3  x 2ltr plastic bottle to act as ballast, so the tow line between the two didgoing slack as the barge "caught up" so to speak.

I am aiming to take the egrete and barge along to my sailing pool this afternoon, so hopefully i will have a report and some pictures to follow later on.

I have made the stern of the barge 50mm deep, so hopefully this should be sufficient "contact area" to keep the barge square on and with the electric winches i can constantly adjust the tension on the tow lines, if they go slack.So hopefully the barge wont go off on its own course! ;D
Best Wishes.

Gregg.
[All messages sent using recycled electrons]

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
With barge !
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2011, 16:34:55 »
managed to get some pictures of my egrete tug with its new barge. have to say thats I soon managed to get used to handling the boat with the single barge on, perhaps we ought to now try for 2 barges, see how it performs then [ha ha].
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
barge pictures
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2011, 16:37:09 »
Just a few more pictures for you
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2011, 17:36:45 »
Nice job Greg!

You could be like the towboats on the inland rivers...with 6 or 8 barges.

Take a look at some of member 'towboatjoe's' pictures and videos!
MIKE

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2013, 16:27:49 »
Just thought you might like to see my Egrete now with two barges. It still has plenty of pushing power, but wont be attempting three barges, I might get accused of hogging the sailing pool with the sheer length of my setup LOL.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

russellward

• Site Supporter
    • New Zealand Workboats
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2013, 21:34:08 »
What a beautiful job and what a lot of fun she must be to push your barges around! I am new to the thread but have had a scan of the pages.
Well done indeed. I have watched barges (mostly self propelled on the Rhine. I was amazed at the amount of traffic. Didn't notice any pusher tugs though.
NZ has a lot of rivers. Some were used for transport in the 1800s to the mid 1900s but nothing large. The Waikato was the most used river as far as I am aware. Its lower reaches were very lazy and there was a lot of farming in the area.
Thank you for your building log!

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #82 on: February 06, 2013, 07:08:26 »
Thanks for your reply and comments. The Egrete is a nice boat to build, especially for those model boaters who sank their teeth in modelling with plastic kits, as basically, this IS a plastic kit, built entirely of styrene sheet, cut to the drawings. Its superb to handle on the water, thanks to a pair of steerable korts at the stern. i did think about adding a bow thruster, but she dont need one.
I run a 12v 7ah/hr gel battery and it lasts for hours at a scale pushing speed.
The drawings and plastic sheet kit are still available and I would recommend one to anyone who prefers working in plastic.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.

gregk9

• My R-C Model Boat Site
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2015, 09:18:39 »
Hi Guys,
Just as an update, this pusher tug is still sailing well, I cant fault it at all and would fully recommend it to anyone who is wary of a wood build, but prefers plastic to stick together. Done correctly and using the right plastic "weld" liquid glue, you wont have any leaks!
Best of luck if you do, or if you need any help, then just ask and I'll willingly assist with further info.
Best Wishes.

Gregg.