Author Topic: deck colour  (Read 3919 times)

canning

deck colour
« on: May 17, 2010, 16:30:43 »
Hi to all.Just joined today.A brilliant site from what i,ve seen so far.Here is my first question. Does anyone know please of a suitable paint colour to represent the red decks found on many tugs. I am building a waterline model of the Elliot steam tug Contest at the present time and cannot get the deck colour looking right.  Cheers  & regards STEVE
Patience is a virtue!!

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
Re: deck colour
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 16:44:38 »
Welcome Aboard the Forum  Canning :) :)

You could start a build thread about your model in the Steam Tugs Section, if you like, and add lots of pictures :) :) :)
We're a tad picture crazy here!!

I use a red primer, and then over-coat with a semi gloss or matt finish.

Don't forget to add your location to your profile so we all know where we hail from ;)

...Cheers...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 16:47:15 by tugs53 »
MIKE

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 22:50:29 »
Hi Steve   the Contest's decks were painted with International paint's  RED OXIDE Gloss, so any red oxide from a good supplier will do, I personally have my paint made up at B & Q to some colour plates that I have from my days afloat, On my  contest  the deck was painted with B & Q red oxide No :-
6425Y93R  Gloss which I have made up at the local store .
 It depends on your choice of colour scheme Gloss or Satin finish,but a point to remember is that when painted full size tugs always used gloss paint ,in fact the Sun tug fleet of old always used a mix of 50-50 gloss paint and varnish on the final coat. and the Contest NEVER had an anti foul red bottom,on thames tugs that did not arrive until the advent of the motor tug era, her bottom was painted with Tar Varnish black up th the waterline and gloss black above with a red oxide boot topping flash as far back as the end of the main casing.
hope this helps   George
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 23:01:07 by model tugman »
Tugs are for life      George B

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 22:55:26 »
The hull below deck level showing the boot topping, oh and there was never any non slip on the decks just good old gloss paint.  If you need any pictures of her let me know.  if you look at the Chantry tug fun day thread you will see the model contest and one of her near sisters towing .
Dont forget the photo's we like to ogle on this site.

George
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 23:05:00 by model tugman »

canning

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 00:50:29 »
Thanks very much for youre help George.I will go to B&Q today.The fotos are a great help.Your model of her is top class!.I look forward to seeing her at Bluewater one day.Kind regards Steve
Patience is a virtue!!

canning

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 00:54:48 »
Thanks for that Tug 53.Iwill do what you said when i work out how to use this damn computer !
Patience is a virtue!!

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 02:46:47 »
Hi Steve you will be most welcome , here are some pictures of the real thing.
first one was when she was brand new,
second just before conversion to oil burning
third not long before she was scrapped,

Geo.

canning

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 14:20:39 »
 ;)Hi George!Thanks very much for the photos. They are a great help and cracking shots too!now i know why i like tugs so much.The photo of the hull of youre model shows what you was explaining very well.Thanks again mate i hope to speak to you again soon.REGARDS STEVE
Patience is a virtue!!

The Chief59

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 10:39:37 »
Hi the chief59 here the best paint we have used for the deck is tile red you can get it most diy shops it was used for painting your doorstep i believe you can the give it a coat of spray satin finish varnish on top to loose the gloss it is good for keeping out any water you may get through the washports if you intend to tow with your model.  hope this of help.  the chief59