Author Topic: very cool site for osv  (Read 5298 times)

bigford

very cool site for osv
« on: December 11, 2007, 16:39:00 »
more boats then money

tango

Re: very cool site for osv
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 04:21:22 »
Exellent site, spent a long time on there I particularly like the pics of the Smit Hunter!!!! (have a look and you will see what I mean.
http://www.osv-society.info/Smit_Hunter.html

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE JUST FOUND A 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.

Captain Jack

• Uniform of the day at sea?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 07:40:10 »
Big Ford...you're my hero! Awesome site! Nothing like seeing the quality of those builds to motivate me to get back to building my Savirile kit. I've been away from the work bench way too long.
Fair winds, and following seas....
Captain Jack sends>>>>>

Red_Hamish

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 12:57:35 »
Hello there Captain Jack, that is a nice looking anchor handler you're building. What scale is it being built to? I would think either 1:50 or possibly 1:75. Anyway we need to know the details of the build so far  ;)

cheers

Jim
enjoy life and model boating not necessarily in that order :-)
www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org  or www.paddleducks.co.uk and the best place to live
www.visitshetland.com of course!

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 13:57:47 »
Judgeing by the two circular 'hatches' on the aft deck, is she going to be ASD drive, or just 'cut-outs' for maintenance?

Mike
MIKE

Captain Jack

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 16:47:45 »
A keen eye indeed, Sir. She is in fact in 1:75 scale! The full details of the kit can be found here:  http://www.rcscalemodel.com/Salvirile%20Kit.php
I'll post more pics of the build as time permits. I'm finding this project very difficult to complete, as military deployments keep me away from home to "sandy" places. way too often.
She has had preliminary sea trials though, and sails fairly well on a calm sea. Not much freeboard aft, and she's prone to taking on water over the stern when backing down hard.
Biggest problem with her handling seems to be the ESC's not wanting to turn the screws as slowly as I'd like. 
Captain Jack sends>>>>>

Captain Jack

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 16:56:31 »
Mike, the cut outs are for the rudder installation. The kit comes with the deck already bonded to the hull. The kort nozzles, rudder posts, and the shaft tubes are also previously installed from the factory. This set up makes it difficult to fit all the extra options I planned to install, such as twin ESC's, lighting switches, twin 3000mah battery pack, and the bow thruster. It does save alot of build time though, and the aligning of all the shafts, nozzles and such. Here's a few more pics.
Captain Jack sends>>>>>

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 17:01:34 »
Thanks Capt.Jack!
One see's those circular 'hatch's a lot these days, and just has to know what's going on!
Looks like a fun project!!
Looking forward to seeing your progress! :)

Mike
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 17:27:53 by tugs53 »
MIKE

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 17:16:09 »
Actually, Captain Jack,more on the post, it's good to hear from someone's who's succeeded in getting one of these boats from that manufacturer,or distributer, as I know a few who have tried from here in Canada with NO joy. :(
There's lot's of folks out there looking for RTR or 'semi' RTR boats, just to 'get on the water',and enjoy the hobby,without months , or years, of building time spent, and I can't blame them, as time is a factor for us all, in a relative sense.
As for the ESC's, maybe swap them out for something more 'precise', such as a pair of Robbe 'Rookie's, or something along that line.

Cheers Captain Jack!!

Mike
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 17:32:15 by tugs53 »
MIKE

Red_Hamish

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 09:56:19 »
Hello all, the link above gives a good representation of what you can do with a fairly small and compact kit. It does look good and should be rewarding to sail. I don't think I'd like to try a bit of tug towing though Captain Jack, especially if it weree just relying on the mixers and one channel for steering. Anyhow as Mike has also  said if it gets you out on the water in a reeasonably short time it is all the more fulfilling. Thanks for settling my mind on the scale too.

cheers

Jim
enjoy life and model boating not necessarily in that order :-)
www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org  or www.paddleducks.co.uk and the best place to live
www.visitshetland.com of course!

Captain Jack

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 17:06:48 »
Mike, I'v had nothing but good dealings with this company. They were bashed extremely hard in another forum, and I was reluctant to use their services at first. For about a month prior to making the purchase, the e-mails from me concerning my reluctance to by from them were flying back and forth. I told the owner about the bashing, (mostly him posting modellers pics without their permission), and he suitably explained to me that he was a fledgling business, and he admitted he was wrong in doing so. I'm only a few hours drive from him, and he offered to let me drive up and take a look at his goings on and such. He even agreed to let me pick up the kit at his premisis to save shipping costs. I feell I have a pretty good working relationship with his entire crew, which is rare in this day and age. Anyone having problems should definately contact his customer service section via their e-mail addy. They even responded to me on a Sunday, and usually within just a few minutes, even late in the evening! Again, I consider my self a thrifty person, (military pay) and I'm very particular when it comes to service, and product value, and I will definately be buying my next kit from this company.
"Fair winds....and following seas"
Captain Jack>>>>>sends
Captain Jack sends>>>>>

Captain Jack

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 17:22:12 »
Good evening, Red...
 I definately need to look into better ESC's! I'm controlling each motor seperately for better maneuvering, but a lack of slow propeller speeds is definately an issue. In my merchant sailor days, I seemed to have a knack for controlling the real AHT's, but I find doing this in miniature has been a very different experience. Things happen so darn fast in these small scales, it seems I'm always aways behind the movement of the vessel with my control inputs. I have built the Dumas American Enterprise, and use water jet drives in her. She's much bigger at 1:24 scale, and I find sailing her much easier! Heck, I don't even hit the fenders when I back her into her slip anymore! As for tug towing competitions, I'd rather just watch you guys go at it, and enjoy it as a spectator sport for now. You gentleman amaze me with your abilities. Truly an art form!
Captain Jack sends>>>>>

TugMaster

• Administrator
  • Admiral Poster
  • Welcome Aboard !
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 00:19:48 »
Captain Jack,

Regarding rcscalemodel I see you say "I feel I have a pretty good working relationship with his entire crew, which is rare in this day and age"

Let them know about our Tug Forum. Perhaps we can help them out and offer some advertising space in our left had column and in our Marketplace in return for some site sponsorship or competition prizes....we also give them the opportunity to promote products within the Traders board .... it would be great to continue to increase our membership from a US, we're a world wide site !  ;D

TugMaster
Ok, so I like a drop !