Author Topic: Some more tugs  (Read 1880 times)

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
Some more tugs
« on: June 04, 2010, 14:37:38 »
These are all from an album I have done and keep up with as I draw. They're in the same medium and I hope you enjoy them. Slightly unusual in that they depict life aboard a tug - in this case, the 'Afon Goch' (Ex 'Schelde' ) of Holyhead Towing when I was an AB aboard her.

They depict a bulker handling operation which was harbour work with the big tugs when they were layig over in the home port between jobs. The third one shows the 'Hollygartgh' of Rea's cutting across the stern after a job - no doubt in time for last orders in Liverpool!

The final one is of the 'Afon Goch' at sea.

A beautiful ship - both to look at and to work on.

Jonty
“The good seaman weathers the storm he cannot avoid, and avoids the storm he cannot weather”

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
Re: Some more tugs
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 14:40:02 »
Brilliant work :) :) :) :)

You're very talented, for sure!!!!
MIKE

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
Re: Some more tugs
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 03:10:26 »
Wouldn't say talented! I've always drawn - back of envelopes, sketch pads - but never really that well. Then I tried MS Paint and realised it had stunning potential - it is a much undervalued piece of kit bundled with Windows. The basic drawings are done in that and then they are uprated with a free image editor (IrfanView) which is not a photoshop thinghy but a pure image editor. This allows light, shade and so on to be added to enhance a picture. It has a host of useful tools.

Once I managed to amster both those and integrate them, the results were far better.

An example of how powerful MS Paint can be is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUWqRhReaZk&feature=related

He uses photo reference, which I do - but as you can see, the programme is awesome once you learn to use it. I apologise for the music however! A drawing example is also here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO_HX90EXHE&feature=related

I am surprised many others don't use it - OK it is a niche, but if you can draw and use a mouse - why not use this to enhance your technique?

Jonty
“The good seaman weathers the storm he cannot avoid, and avoids the storm he cannot weather”