Author Topic: 'Foundation Franklin'  (Read 3621 times)

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
'Foundation Franklin'
« on: June 05, 2010, 13:25:39 »
Well, here you go! I hope that it does what I want it to.

The 'Foundation Franklin' stands off the 'Joel R. Poinsett' awaiting the harbour tugs to take over. Her draught is light, having spent a long week bringing the after section of the weather damaged Liberty in to safe haven - Halifax, sitting under a deeply overcast sky.

Jonty
“The good seaman weathers the storm he cannot avoid, and avoids the storm he cannot weather”

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
Re: 'Foundation Franklin'
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 16:00:07 »
Very Nice Work Jonty :) :) :) :) :)

Sure didn't take you long.
MIKE

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 03:12:43 »
The two main subjects were done quite quickly and tidied up. The background is a simple 'in fill' colour. The sea is also simple.

Once I had done both ships, it is then into an image editor and some tidying up, shading - using auto fill - and then image sharpening. It took three days, working on it Thursday and Friday evening and I had most of Saturday!

By contrast, the one done below - which shows the salvage of the 'Anco State' by the twin sisters 'Zwarte Zee' and 'Witte Zee' took almost a month - but you can see the differences in the detailing, the use of 'distance' to soften the casualty' - and the sea and clouds.

A lot of my work - and work done by some pretty spectacular marine artists - is exhibited on a site I am a paid member of: www.shipsnostalgia.com - free to join and look at the matitime art gallery. We sort of self help each other when it comes to doing what we do!

I enjoy drawing and since I discovered how powerful MS Paint and Irfan View were when used together I can usually 'knock them out' in as little as three days to over a month.

Jonty
“The good seaman weathers the storm he cannot avoid, and avoids the storm he cannot weather”

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 10:42:57 »
What a fantastic picture. Thanks, Jonty.
VGJQ

ddraigmor

• Once a sailor.....
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 13:20:26 »
I'll post some more later this week - already done ones and show you a technique I picked up using scale and proportion to make two duifferent pictures and use other pictures to enhance them!

BTW if the mods look in, you can use any for the front page 'tug boat art' bit as you see fit. I see my colour 'Afon Goch' is still up there!

Jonty