Author Topic: REBUILD  (Read 28377 times)

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
REBUILD
« on: June 07, 2010, 06:27:19 »
Thirty eight years ago I built a very freelance ocean going tug very loosely based on Bugsiers Oceanic and her sisters. This was built on a 54" GRP Zwarte Zee hull. My first major build, built on the kitchen table in rented accomodation and the only power tool I had was a Wolf electric drill. The main aim was to get afloat ASAP and the build suffered from this. However, running off two motor cycle batteries she performed very well and was used a lot. For about the last 15 years Katrina B has stood in retirement on the utility room windowsill ['When are you going to move that thing!] and seeing the standards of the tugs on this forum began more and more to grate on my senses. So, I decided her time has come and a major rebuild has been begun, probably [only probably at this stage] of one of the Bustler's. [Scales up almost exactly in 1/32]. Starting to strip decks etc I found that much of the original glue had degenerated and only answer was for everything to come out back to the hull. The two pics show the original build in said flat and afloat in original condition. Sorry about pic condition, I had a Naf camera as well back then. Got a feeling this could be a long job!!
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!
IF IT DONT FLOAT...TOW IT UNTIL IT DOES!!!!

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
Re: REBUILD
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 06:45:50 »
Blimey pete you started building young :D :D :D

You appear to have got the building bug again >:D

keep us posted   Geo.
Tugs are for life      George B

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 06:46:11 »
The difference a day makes! Decks off, rot found, clear everything out. Bet that engine room set up brings back a few memories. It wasnt run in that state i had pulled the wires through from other compartments. The pink Tupperware [remember that??] on the left held the radio receiver and proved totally waterproof. The two 6volt m/cycle batteries sat in the green painted compartment forward of the engine room. Just a bit of the ballast visible, the rest fell out. She weighed in at about 60lbs. Day off tomorrow whilst I decide finally what to rebuild her as. Decisions decisions.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 06:49:34 by thamestug »
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 06:52:33 »
George
The angelic looking child is my son who has grown up not the least bit interested in tugs. That may have been because he discovered the original plan was to epoxy him under the deck so that he could turn the propshaft by hand. One day I suppose he will discover the finer things in life. Looking at the junk on TV these days I think I am better off in the garage doing something interesting. Before anyone else comments they are NOT my shoes under the table.
Silly thought of the day: Given my 'thing' for building tugs that Watkins may have owned but never did, for some reason the name Samsonia suddenly came into mind!!
cheers
Pete
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:03:44 by thamestug »
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 07:17:18 »
....and I was just about to say something about those shoes ;D ;D ;D ;D

Man, you've got quite the project there, but the hull looks sound, and she's a good size to work with :) :) :) :)

You're way further ahead than I was several years ago when I bought a 36" Foss tug that had been sitting in a leaky shed for 14yrs.

The Oceanic class tugs were, and still are, gorgeous vessels; so why not start again with modern materials and adhesives.

Just a thought!

Looking forward to reading this thread as you progress :) :) :) :) :) :)
MIKE

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 10:51:18 »
You sure those aren't your shoes? They look like yours. ;D ;D

Looking forward to your build. Lots of pics please.
VGJQ

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 03:37:29 »
Its going to be Bustler-ish. Mainly because I admired the exploits of the Turmoil during the Flying Enterprise saga. Point of no return, the first cuts have been made to the fibreglass!!. Pics show new frames awaiting final shaping and fitting.

I wonder if anyone has any recommendations re new batteries? I want to try and reuse the old 6V elec motor as it is still in good nick. I am going to be restricted on battery size to a length of about 150mm as they will have to  go down through the upper deck through the hatch above the towing winch. I could however get a couple down through there and juggle them around once inside. One problem with this build there aint going to be much removable superstructure and no removable deckhouse over the elec motor compartment. This also will have to be a hatch. Probably the salvage gear store and/or rope cradle. Mmmmmmmmm!
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 09:11:13 »
Here is a good overhead pic of a Bustler class tug, Samsonia, as Foundation Josephine.
VGJQ

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 07:48:05 »
Thanks for that pic Model Tug Man. I have enlarged it and it will be great for detail. Latest pics attached.
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 08:03:31 »
She's coming along good there thamestug :) :) :)
Keep the pictures coming!!
MIKE

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 07:34:40 »
An issue which arose concerned the bulwarks at the bow. These finished with an outward flare, having been cut back from about midships at the start of the build. This end needed to come upright to match up with the railings to be fitted later.  After a bit of soul searching I cut along at deck level with a hacksaw blade to within about 1" of the bow. The wood block in the pic was temporarily screwed to the deck as an anchorage point for the G clamp. A shaped piece of perspex was also temporarily screwed to the deck at the bottom of the bulwarks to 'trip them up' as the clamp was tightened. Once upright a couple of perspex gussets [made from car registration plate blanks, a good source of thicker plastic material] were glued in. The block between them is the spacer used for getting equal spacing when the other gussets are fitted. The now opened up hacksaw cut was backfilled with filler and the lot left clamped up  overnight to set. I took the clamp off this morning wondering what would happen as the fibreglass is about 1.5mm thick and fairly springy but bingo, all stayed put and sanding down the filler has created a nice nuckle. Win some lose some.
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

Model Tug Man

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 08:39:33 »
Neat bit of surgery there, sir. Nice job.
VGJQ

model tugman

• Site Supporter
  • Admiral Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 23:19:07 »
Well done pete you are working well.
Tugs are for life      George B

thamestug

• Thames Tugs
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 06:20:34 »
PROBLEM:

Decided it was time to have an initial ballast trial to decide where the new waterline would be. [She needs to come up in the water a bit this time round].

With some slightly grudging assistance lugged hull upstairs to bathroom where it proved to be 2" longer than the bath!. Despite 'er indoors' saying several times, 'well it went in the bath last time' the bath did NOT take the hint and get any longer. The other suggestion was that I could possibly do one end at a time. After amicably explaining in five words that the preferred option for the task in hand was to have the whole thing afloat I think I then detected a sort of 'well thats stopped your gallop' coming over in the female body language

Realisation dawned that of course a new bathroom suite had been fitted since model was built first time round.

But I have a cunning plan. With the weather we are having both lots a grandkids have their paddling pools out...............they are at school.........and I have spare keys............
Watch this space.
IF IT FLOATS...TOW IT!

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 07:22:30 »
Good thinking!!!
MIKE