Author Topic: ASD Tx  (Read 7617 times)

Stefan

• tugboats.de
ASD Tx
« on: February 17, 2008, 13:41:44 »
Due to the frequently asked question some information about my rebuilt Tx for my ASD tugboat. The basis is a standard F-14 Robbe-Futaba Tx. I removed the standard sticks. The ptois inside the stick only work in an area of about 60°. To get a 360° rotation you need a 1:6 gear. I built two Tx. One Tx is with a 1:6 bevel gear and the second ( Mark II ) is with a 1:6 planetary gear. The Mark II gear is much more cheaper and easier to build.
A full description of the rebuild for a Tx Mark I you will find here:http://www.tugboats.de/umbau_english.html.
For a Mark II I built my own stick instead of using the sticks a a used 2-canal Tx. But also in this case I use 5Kohm potis. You can find some photos of both Tx. In the name of the photo you can find which Tx ( _mk1 or _mk2 )it is.

If you have any question, please ask.

Best wishes
Stefan 8)
"Splice the mainbrace!"

bigford

Re: ASD Tx
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 14:00:13 »
Stefan

that is way beyond anything i could do, but thank you for posting
the rebuild. i'm sure everybody will love the mod ;D
keep up the great work
more boats then money

feinwerkbau

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 18:49:06 »
Hello Stefan,
Many thanks for your time and effort in writing the article and thanks for sharing your experience and information.
This answers ALL my questions and thoughts on how to go about the conversion.
Thanks again

Regards
Roger.
"The Best Thing's In Life Are Self-Made"

tugnut

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 13:24:14 »
That is one clever modification you are realy good .
Iam so impressed thanks john b
john b

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 20:27:08 »
Totally impressed!!

Just incredible!!

Mike
MIKE

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 01:15:00 »
Not like me but time to be a little controversial. Whilst I can only admire the skill and engineering in this project, I cannot see the point!
What major benefit do you get from all this effort over a standard type of system?
Barry

bosun

• Dum Spiro Spero
    • www.terrymahercountrysinger.com
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 03:03:59 »
Lost me completely !!! ???
Bosun
Dum Spiro Spero

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 06:11:43 »
Footski:

This will make the TX , just like the real thing, and save a lot of 'finger fumbling'.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 21:01:29 by tugs53 »
MIKE

Footski

• Admiral Poster
  • Just me and my good lady
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 06:16:04 »
Footski: Is'nt it obvious?

This will make the controler, just like the real thing, and save a lot of 'finger fumbling'.
I have a freind with a large "Voith-Drive" tug, who would love to have a contoler like that.

Mike
Mike, Not only do I now understand but am even mopre impressed by the workmanship than I was.....And I am afraid "NO" It was not obvious to me, but then "I know nowt".

Barry
Barry

Red_Hamish

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 12:10:13 »
Hello all, Sefan that is some piece of engineering & electronic engineering to boot! I admire the efforts that you have gone to to mimic the actual control interface to faithfully reproduce the real thing in miniature. This must make entering a steering & docking competition a lot easier. I used to have a twin Schottel driven tug and it would have benefited tremendously from this setup along with forward only Esc's.

cheers

Jim
enjoy life and model boating not necessarily in that order :-)
www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org  or www.paddleducks.co.uk and the best place to live
www.visitshetland.com of course!

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 14:47:00 »
Sorry Barry!
No offence intended!!
 I've never built as ASD tug, but have had the chance to run a couple of models, built by Ron Burchett, here in BC., and they're quite something!

Mike
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 21:00:15 by tugs53 »
MIKE

Stefan

• tugboats.de
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 01:06:43 »
Hello all,
it was my intention to build a control like the real one. Some years ago I was in Finland to get some information about my Ahti. The responsoble man at the shipping company asked me to build a like real control. He told me about a man in BC ( Ron B. ) who build such Tx. He saw his Tx at the International tug Convention. It took me a lot of time from my thoughts to a working Tx. I thing it was the easiest way to realise a sterring system close to the original. With the standard sticks you donīt have a control in which direction the schottel shows.
In my opinion it is also possible to realise the same system for a VSP-tug.
To build a Mark II Tx it is very easy. You only need someone for milling the "big knobs". I donīt have such a big machine. All the needed tools you will find a normal workstore ( a little bit more than basic ).

Best wishes
Stefan 8)
"Splice the mainbrace!"

ClydeBuilt

• Bad Bills Boatyard
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 06:27:09 »
I wish Graupner/Robbe would build schottels that work 360d, I have a couple of hulls that it would be worth doing this for if they did.
I really envy the skills of guys on sites like the one Stefan just linked to.
Fav is..... IGspezialshiffe!
With the 50th birthday due this year I was looking for something special, but how many Tito Neris can we have?
So I have decided to build a one off, like some of those big girls on the german websites, much more work, but worth it for that special present to myself I think.  ;D

tugs53

• Admiral Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 08:30:17 »
I'm waiting to see a 'working' "Roto Tug" with 3 Schottle Drives that turn 360.
Just like the RT Magic.

Would'nt that be neat??

Mike
MIKE

ClydeBuilt

• Bad Bills Boatyard
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 08:53:24 »
My current build was designed to have two Voith units forward and a skeg aft, my plan is to have two schottels fwd and replace the skeg with another....as in a RotorTug!
Steering should be relatively easy as the fwd units can be worked in tandem, leaving the aft unit to be worked separately.
Of course we dont have 360d control and have to revert to using reverse from an ESC, but all in all it should work quite well....I think! ???